Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 28th, '13, 01:37

Re: Official Pu of the day

by chrl42 » Sep 28th, '13, 01:37

mid-90s Kunming fac. iron cake..has a humidity (didn't know Kunming had a humidity..argued with seller over this).

First brewed with 70s Hongni SP, then changed to Di Cao Qing SP..became a different tea. DCQ is for wetty Pu :)

Sep 28th, '13, 03:04

by Tead Off » Sep 28th, '13, 03:04

chrl42 wrote:mid-90s Kunming fac. iron cake..has a humidity (didn't know Kunming had a humidity..argued with seller over this).

First brewed with 70s Hongni SP, then changed to Di Cao Qing SP..became a different tea. DCQ is for wetty Pu :)
What do you think is the key difference between the pots?

Sep 28th, '13, 03:33

by chrl42 » Sep 28th, '13, 03:33

Tead Off wrote:
chrl42 wrote:mid-90s Kunming fac. iron cake..has a humidity (didn't know Kunming had a humidity..argued with seller over this).

What do you think is the key difference between the pots?
70s Hongnis are very dense...it's a special mixed Hongni designed for Gongfu market - Oolong teapot (they used this Hongni during 5~70s, there are other types of Hongni as well. If brewing wetty pu, wet stays in the clay for long...but high quality or Gushu kinds are pretty good.

DCQ SP I used is also from 70s, this clay has excellent porosity, DCQ clay in general, are very porous, but it shouldn't mute out 'bone' of tea taste...that's the difference between DCQ/high-fired clays and low-fired ones...IMHO.. :)

Sep 28th, '13, 04:16

by MarshalN » Sep 28th, '13, 04:16

2004 Yangqing hao Yiwu chawang

Sep 28th, '13, 09:31

by gasninja » Sep 28th, '13, 09:31

Just b/c a tea was made at the Kunming factory does not mean it was stored in kunming it's whole life. I have a mildly humidly storred 00 iron cake. And a flat out wet storred 01 red mark from Kunming Factory.

Sep 28th, '13, 20:19

by TokyoB » Sep 28th, '13, 20:19

gasninja wrote:
apache wrote:EoT 2010 Manmai after 3 years of damp and cold storage seem to lose some of its awful umami taste. It's tea not beef consomme!
I felt like the Manmai was very clean and grassy originally typical Bada tea. Now the 2010 mansai had a meaty taste to it.

Today I pulled out my 2011 Mansai cake. This tea has changed into something nice.I have been really amazed at how much all my teas have aged over this summer.
Completely agree with you on the 2010 Manmai and Mansai. Drinking the Mansai was the first time that I thought a tea reminded me of a pork product. The Manmai was originally like a light, green tea. However it has now aged a bit and has a lightly orange soup.

Sep 28th, '13, 20:28

by shah82 » Sep 28th, '13, 20:28

There is nothing wrong with a little meat in your tea.

Sep 28th, '13, 20:56

by chrl42 » Sep 28th, '13, 20:56

gasninja wrote:

Just b/c a tea was made at the Kunming factory does not mean it was stored in kunming it's whole life. I have a mildly humidly storred 00 iron cake. And a flat out wet storred 01 red mark from Kunming Factory.
The seller said the cake was in Kunming throughout his life..I dunno why I should explain this..

Sep 29th, '13, 00:33
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 29th, '13, 00:33

I'm curious about the contents of the argument. :mrgreen: How would you describe the "humidity" of the tea? Is it southern dry storage kind of humidity or humid storage kind of humidity?

I heard Kunming had a super big storm this summer (much stronger than its usual rain season storms) and many first-floor tea stores were flooded. But this doesn't happen very often in Kunming and careful store owners won't let their tea flooded no matter what.

On the other hand, I've seen some northern tea drinkers who would call a Guangdong dry stored tea "too wet". Different people have very different tolerance range for humidity.

Sep 29th, '13, 05:00

by chrl42 » Sep 29th, '13, 05:00

gingkoseto wrote:

I'm curious about the contents of the argument. :mrgreen: How would you describe the "humidity" of the tea? Is it southern dry storage kind of humidity or humid storage kind of humidity?

I heard Kunming had a super big storm this summer (much stronger than its usual rain season storms) and many first-floor tea stores were flooded. But this doesn't happen very often in Kunming and careful store owners won't let their tea flooded no matter what.

On the other hand, I've seen some northern tea drinkers who would call a Guangdong dry stored tea "too wet". Different people have very different tolerance range for humidity.
Not the kind of careful Guangdong storage..I've had some wonderful Puerh from Guangdong and Malaysia before.

Wrapper was eaten by paper bugs but can't find a mold on the surface of the tea. Some wet stored ones are ok but there are some kinds

1)Wet overwhelms the base taste of a tea..when Shengs are aged, it gets various colorful tastes..but there's only one wet taste..so I don't need to spend more money on that, 2)When wet gets over control, it kills the strength of a tea (or Qi whatever they call). But when it's under control in humid areas, of course it gets wonderful teas with more ageing speed 3)Too much humidity can ruin one's body, I've heard some Chinese describe 湿=毒..its not some kind of aroma but odor..they are just much cheaper..I mean careless storage :) ....just correct my statement..I'm pretty a beginner of Puerh :)

Sep 29th, '13, 10:04
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 29th, '13, 10:04

chrl42 wrote:
gingkoseto wrote: 1)Wet overwhelms the base taste of a tea..when Shengs are aged, it gets various colorful tastes..but there's only one wet taste..so I don't need to spend more money on that, 2)When wet gets over control, it kills the strength of a tea (or Qi whatever they call). But when it's under control in humid areas, of course it gets wonderful teas with more ageing speed 3)Too much humidity can ruin one's body, I've heard some Chinese describe 湿=毒..its not some kind of aroma but odor..they are just much cheaper..I mean careless storage :) ....just correct my statement..I'm pretty a beginner of Puerh :)
Ok. I sort of understand it. If you still have some of it left, maybe it's interesting to see what it turns out in a few years. In my storage space, I have a small corner as "quarantine place" for teas that have unfavorable odor. But occasionally I would start feeling one or two of them are actually better than the rest of the criminals, and then I would pull them out from quarantine and create a "half way house" for them :mrgreen:

I guess some people in Kunming are rather careless about the storage since they don't think the climate requires too much care. But then one accident is sufficient to cause disaster.

As for the health impacts of humidity, it will depend on people (and probably their diet structure and life style). Part of my family is from north and the part from south. These people never agree with each other what's toxic and what's healthy. :mrgreen: But overall it's a good idea to follow once intuition what tea the body likes and what tea the body denies.

Sep 29th, '13, 16:48

by apache » Sep 29th, '13, 16:48

7532 <801>

Relatively cheap (120 ~ 200 rmb) Dayi 5 years aged cake (3 years in the UK. I find the RH shoot up in the autumn, always well over 70% for a few months) , not bad for this price. I find most pu become a little bit more interesting after 4 or 5 years. Now I'm trying to avoid drinking anything which is less than 4 years old, but I have a feeling that in 5 years time very likely I would say I find anything less than 10 years old uninteresting ... avoid drinking anything younger than this!

Sep 29th, '13, 17:34

by DVS » Sep 29th, '13, 17:34

MTR 2006 YiWu... Good tea. Smooth, thick, nice huigan. Getting some spicy notes today :D

Sep 29th, '13, 22:08

by yalokinh » Sep 29th, '13, 22:08

2012 ys mang fei mountain sheng, probably the best young pu ive had in my short tealife. Definitely will get a cake next opportunity i get.
smells like apricots and the tea has full body and a creaminess about it, sweet after taste that just lingers

Sep 30th, '13, 00:54

by Teaism » Sep 30th, '13, 00:54

Had a 2002 Yiwu Sheng and 1993 tie bing last night. This evening there will be a 8 hour tea tasting marathon of Sheng Puer 2013 spanning to 1970s tea... wrap up with a few session of Yancha. Hmmm life is a beach... :D

+ Post Reply