Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Aug 17th, '15, 11:31

Re: Official Pu of the day

by puyuan » Aug 17th, '15, 11:31

kyarazen wrote:
puyuan wrote:
I think I've seen these not long ago... 2015? Have you had any of their other teas?

yes :D 2015! i had several sanhetang sheng before, quite well processed that they are really nice and smooth to drink almost straight after production.

the funny thing is that just after i had pretty much gotten bored of sheng pu-erh and stopped pursuing nor drinking/buying, it unfortunately became incredibly easy for me to access and procure sanhetang's teas. :lol:
how ironic :X made me wished i started off my pu-erh journey with either yangpinhao or xizihao back then

I wonder if you sht source is the same as mine. Guangzhou? ^^

If you have the time to share notes, I'd love to hear. I'll be trying a big volume of samples in November or December when I reach the mainland.

Ah, the black wrapper LBZ. I got a full cake and two samples from Houde last year, for a song. I'll be in their debt 'till my deathbed for that treat...

Aug 17th, '15, 11:47

by kyarazen » Aug 17th, '15, 11:47

puyuan wrote: I wonder if you sht source is the same as mine. Guangzhou? ^^

If you have the time to share notes, I'd love to hear. I'll be trying a big volume of samples in November or December when I reach the mainland.

Ah, the black wrapper LBZ. I got a full cake and two samples from Houde last year, for a song. I'll be in their debt 'till my deathbed for that treat...
ah, diff source :) mine contact's pretty much almost direct to tony himself, my friend in taichung (whom owns a 4th generation dongding tea garden), often meets up with tony for tea.

i think my notes are not any much worthy.. and i'm slowing down alot a lot a lot on pu-erh that i probably only touch it once a month now. its back to oolong frenzy for me :D

do drop me an address or so and i'll share some of this oolong craze! 8)

Aug 18th, '15, 10:37

by puyuan » Aug 18th, '15, 10:37

kyarazen wrote:
puyuan wrote: I wonder if you sht source is the same as mine. Guangzhou? ^^

ah, diff source :) mine contact's pretty much almost direct to tony himself, my friend in taichung (whom owns a 4th generation dongding tea garden), often meets up with tony for tea.

i think my notes are not any much worthy.. and i'm slowing down alot a lot a lot on pu-erh that i probably only touch it once a month now. its back to oolong frenzy for me :D

do drop me an address or so and i'll share some of this oolong craze! 8)

Thank you, my friend, hope we can brew together one day so that I can learn. I'll PM you. (:

Aug 19th, '15, 01:33

by Jaymo » Aug 19th, '15, 01:33

The W2T 80s HK I had going for around a week finally got a little too light/weak today and I moved on! It went through some nice flavor changes over many days/sessions of brewing it. The soup kept some nice body to it even once the flavor lightened up considerably.

Anyway, today I revisited a cake of '08 Dayi 8582 that I picked up a year or 2 back from tuochatea.com and it is in a sort of sad place flavor-wise. The liquor is a nice honey-gold color and has medium-light body. It's got some bitterness to it, but isn't astringent. Not much flavor to it right from the beginning. What is there are notes of wood and a tiny hint of cooling camphor feeling behind it. It is losing its young, grassy character quickly at this point though. There is nothing off-putting about it, but it isn't in a very interesting or complex place.

Aug 21st, '15, 01:34

by Puerlife » Aug 21st, '15, 01:34

Jaymo - Ha, what a coincidence. I pulled the same tea off the shelf today: same vendor, year and batch. Your notes are exactly what I experienced. It was absolutely wretched when I bought it, just nasty grass, but after some time in a non airtight caddy it seemingly aged years in a month and was at least drinkable, at least with my low expectations. But today's session was sad. Nice notes. :)

Aug 21st, '15, 10:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Aug 21st, '15, 10:56

Yongle, 2005.
Nice, but could be better! :)

Image[/url]

Aug 21st, '15, 14:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Aug 21st, '15, 14:28

Pretty!

Aug 21st, '15, 23:45

by BW85 » Aug 21st, '15, 23:45

Beautiful, William :D

Aug 22nd, '15, 16:57

by z_lamp » Aug 22nd, '15, 16:57

Finished a session with the 02 little yellow mark last night. Nice complex tea -- began smoky and leathery with a lingering bitterness. The smoke gradually disappeared as the session progressed and was replaced by a wonderful, thick sweetness. The cha qi was kind of insane too. 5.4g leaf, 100mL ruyao gaiwan from white2tea. Had success ramping steeps up a lot more linearly than with most teas.

Aug 22nd, '15, 23:43

by Jaymo » Aug 22nd, '15, 23:43

Puerlife wrote:Jaymo - Ha, what a coincidence. I pulled the same tea off the shelf today: same vendor, year and batch. Your notes are exactly what I experienced. It was absolutely wretched when I bought it, just nasty grass, but after some time in a non airtight caddy it seemingly aged years in a month and was at least drinkable, at least with my low expectations. But today's session was sad. Nice notes. :)
Haha. That is a funny coincidence. For a cake that was/is under $20, I had pretty low expectations from the beginning on it too. I just added it to an order when I picked up some other cakes from them a year or 2 ago on a whim. As far as young-ish Dayi cakes go, I'm more of a fan of their 0622 recipe. In general, for younger sheng I tend to lean toward sweet/fruitier teas like many Yiwus and I'd rather drink funky, old traditional/"wet" stored stuff most of the time, but if I'm in the mood for something edgier on the cheap end, 0622 is my preference thus far in my limited experience.

Aug 23rd, '15, 02:12

by PurplePotato » Aug 23rd, '15, 02:12

Had some shu today, the 2012 Aomen Hualian Hobbes recommended on his blog, acquired via the bao of taos.
RipeBubblesLowRes.jpg
RipeBubblesLowRes.jpg (34.33 KiB) Viewed 925 times
Punchy.

Aug 23rd, '15, 02:54

by Rui » Aug 23rd, '15, 02:54

2015 Terre de Ciel Ailao Shan raw pu'er very nice and very young tea. :)

Aug 25th, '15, 13:11

by drinking_teas » Aug 25th, '15, 13:11

PurplePotato wrote:Had some shu today, the 2012 Aomen Hualian Hobbes recommended on his blog, acquired via the bao of taos.
RipeBubblesLowRes.jpg
Punchy.
yeah this one is strong.

Aug 27th, '15, 22:34

by bryan_drinks_tea » Aug 27th, '15, 22:34

I had a session of the 1980s loose maocha from tea Classico . It's ok, I don't think it's from the 80's, maybe it's from the early 90's. It has a good bit of astringency in it, and the mouthfeel was a little thinner than I like. I'm pretty sure that the goofball that was brewing the tea may have had a helping hand in its outcome, too. :mrgreen:

Aug 28th, '15, 04:38

by Jaymo » Aug 28th, '15, 04:38

Today I revisited a shu from my very first puerh order, the 2004 Old Youle ripe brick from puerhshop. This has been buried away for quite awhile now!

There's some really sketchy looking material in this cake! Lots of twigs. (I'm hesitant to even call it stem material because they are so woody.) At least there's no hair or anything, just crappy-grade tea!

I gave it a couple rinses which came out a nice ruby color. By the time I got to the 3rd steeping, (the 1st actual pour after the rinses,) it had already opened up quite a bit and was super dark-brown with a little red around the edges of the cup, and that was just with a quick flash steeping.

Honestly, it's better than I remember, for shu. The body is pretty huge, for one thing! The flavor isn't overly complex, but it is very buttery which works well with the full mouthfeel. There isn't any residual off-flavor from the shu-processing either, so that's a plus.

Lastly, QI FOR DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS! I actually had to drink less of this than I normally would in a session because it packs a punch!

All in all, I'm glad I dug this back out. I don't drink much shu lately, but I enjoy this. It's probably my second favorite shu after Dayi Golden Needle White Lotus.

+ Post Reply