Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 5th, '13, 17:46

Re: Official Pu of the day

by puerhking » Apr 5th, '13, 17:46

2012 Chawangpu Yiwu Zhangjiwan Gushu

Flowers, grain and beans. Nice lingering finish. Enjoyable.

Apr 5th, '13, 21:26

by mr mopu » Apr 5th, '13, 21:26

2008 Dayi Wei Zui Yan Green Pu-erh .Trying a sheng after being prompted by a friend to do so. This is a nice almost fruity tasting tea with an almost citrusy apple or pear note to it . Very little astringency almost as enjoyable as a dry glass of wine. Sheng is kind of “new” to me as I usually prefer shou, but I think I am going to grow to like sheng a little more after this. I think if I stick with sheng 5 years old or more I will grow to appreciate them more. A very nice evening tea.
Attachments
2008 Dayi Wei Zui Yan Green Pu-erh Tea Cake.JPG
2008 Dayi Wei Zui Yan Green Pu-erh Tea Cake.JPG (34.68 KiB) Viewed 1813 times

Apr 6th, '13, 16:29

by JakubT » Apr 6th, '13, 16:29

First had 2003 Wistaria's Mengsong today.Wow, this one seems to really need good water. When I made it using a tea stove, it was rich, luxurious and all. With tap water from an electric kettle, it was a lot less charming and felt "closed". Still a good session though.

Now I'm having 2010 Dayi tiger Rui Hu Cheng Xiang. Good, mighty blend. Sweet, good taste, with some nice feeling to it. I'm looking forward to gongfu-ing it tomorrow.

Apr 7th, '13, 16:42

by puerhking » Apr 7th, '13, 16:42

2011 YS Fall Xikong -

Second day on this one....still performing well. Has that unique straw, fruit and barnyard/urine flavor profile.

04 Tong Chang Huang Ji Yiwu Chun Jian -

I really like the storage on this one. Just right. Nice thick mouthfeel and pronounced sweetness.

Apr 7th, '13, 16:46

by yalokinh » Apr 7th, '13, 16:46

puerhking wrote:2011 YS Fall Xikong -

Second day on this one....still performing well. Has that unique straw, fruit and barnyard/urine flavor profile.

04 Tong Chang Huang Ji Yiwu Chun Jian -

I really like the storage on this one. Just right. Nice thick mouthfeel and pronounced sweetness.
Is urine profile something you want in your tea?

Apr 7th, '13, 16:56

by puerhking » Apr 7th, '13, 16:56

This is not an uncommon flavor to run across in puerh. Of course it is only reminiscent of that...as opposed to someone urinating on your tea. :P

Apr 7th, '13, 17:05

by yalokinh » Apr 7th, '13, 17:05

puerhking wrote:This is not an uncommon flavor to run across in puerh. Of course it is only reminiscent of that...as opposed to someone urinating on your tea. :P
lol
I don't think I'll go looking for the urine profile in my tea anytime soon though

Apr 8th, '13, 10:08

by BioHorn » Apr 8th, '13, 10:08

TIM wrote:
TomVerlain wrote:30 grams in one pot - now that's teacitment !!!
Hope bio breaks the young sheung record for 3 months brew...
1993 7542 massive brew experiment wrap-up:
March 26, 2013
---
Tim,
It did not even close. Overseas trip made me shut it down after only six weeks.
---

Brewing such a massive amount of tea presented some technical challenges I had not forseen. The intial 5-10 brews worked out pretty well.

As things progressed, the biggest hurdle was creating enough heat to brew the leaf at a decent temperature. My guess if that by the time the water was surrounding the leaf the combined mass of the tea and pot was enough to have lowered it's temperature dramatically. I got the sense that these later efforts were lukewarm brews. As seen in the first picture, I took to trying many steps the maximize heat. The scale was too massive and the effort became basically a lost battle. If one were to attempt something similar, I would recommend doing it with less leaf.

Here are a few pics documenting the end. Sorry about the grainy 640 quality.

Last pot brew:

The final boil resulted in about 300 ml of liquid. It still was quite potent. This pot probably still could have kept going another couple of weeks.
Disgorged

Apr 9th, '13, 07:11
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 9th, '13, 07:11

Found a box of old Golden Sail pu erh here in Vienna. I think this stuff is from the mid 90s (or even as early as the late 80s) and has been stored in the original box ever since. Somewhat 'plummy' aroma with perhaps a hint of cardboard. Not all that good, even if it is smooth drinking.The leaves have no aroma to speak of, but when brewed, produce a drinkable brew. Not the worst shu I've ever had, but definitely not the best either!

Apr 9th, '13, 14:34

by puerhking » Apr 9th, '13, 14:34

2012 YS Wu Jia Zhai -

Herbs, grain and a floral touch in the background. Quite tasty.

Apr 10th, '13, 12:19

by GARCH » Apr 10th, '13, 12:19

2003 Xiaguan JiaJi Raw Tuo cha. First time having it. Nice minty sensation and kuwei (bitterness). Sweetness is there but not prominent. Very good mouthfeel as well :D

Apr 10th, '13, 15:45

by futurebird » Apr 10th, '13, 15:45

JIA JI TUO CHA * MENGHAI DAYI PU-ERH TEA 2009 100G RAW

I sometimes like the mouth-drying astringency of young sheng. This is nice for that. I'm going to buy more it has hints of camphor that might bode well as it gets older. And it's $7 for 100g.

Apr 11th, '13, 05:53
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 11th, '13, 05:53

Found some Ying Kee "Supreme" Yunnan Pu Erh in an almost airtight polycarbonate container here at dad's apartment. It must have been stored that way, untouched, for at least three or four years. It tastes pretty good, considering the storage, and is significantly different from Ying Kee's current "Supreme" grade of shu. I might just have to take the bag home with me!

Apr 11th, '13, 11:22

by MarshalN » Apr 11th, '13, 11:22

jayinhk wrote:Found some Ying Kee "Supreme" Yunnan Pu Erh in an almost airtight polycarbonate container here at dad's apartment. It must have been stored that way, untouched, for at least three or four years. It tastes pretty good, considering the storage, and is significantly different from Ying Kee's current "Supreme" grade of shu. I might just have to take the bag home with me!
If you buy a bag now and store it for 3-4 years you might get a similar taste.

Apr 11th, '13, 13:40
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 11th, '13, 13:40

MarshalN wrote: If you buy a bag now and store it for 3-4 years you might get a similar taste.
True, they've been buying the same type of Menghai cakes for years and using the same warehouse, no?

+ Post Reply