Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 13th, '13, 13:12

Re: Official Pu of the day

by futurebird » Apr 13th, '13, 13:12

Today's tea is 2003 Xiaguan WDJG Hong Yin Tea Cake

I have a sample and I'm enjoying it, with about 3g in this new teapot:

http://www.sampletea.com/product/1990s- ... o-mei-zhen

It's 30ml, but it pours really quickly making it much easier to brew.

The price made me wince, but now I don't regret it. I think I'll sell a few pots and get a 2nd one of these.

OH!

I should say more about the tea...

This tea tastes older than I thought it would. The greenness of youth has transformed into what I'm fairly certain most would call "camphor" a lightly woody fragrant taste like the smell of nice old furniture (not dusty, though)

This tea is very clean, not musty or "old paper" smells.

It's only from 2003 but it tastes like some teas I've had from the mid 90s. --- but cleaner. I think It's great.

Apr 13th, '13, 19:28

by AdamMY » Apr 13th, '13, 19:28

Continuing my day full of puerh with 80s loose leaf puerh from Origin tea. Quite nice, I think I'm going to be drinking this late into the night.

Apr 13th, '13, 22:28

by futurebird » Apr 13th, '13, 22:28

I just ordered some of that, glad to hear that it is good.

Apr 14th, '13, 10:34

by JakubT » Apr 14th, '13, 10:34

2002 Yiwu Ancient spirit from YS. Wow... for the price, great stuff, seems to me.

Apr 14th, '13, 13:32

by solitude » Apr 14th, '13, 13:32

JakubT wrote:2002 Yiwu Ancient spirit from YS. Wow... for the price, great stuff, seems to me.
After I tried the sample I also bought a cake I think it is a decent tea

Apr 14th, '13, 16:02

by tst » Apr 14th, '13, 16:02

I've seen cakes of this on taobao, only marked as late 90s or some other older year. Not sure on the storage conditions of those teas though.

Apr 14th, '13, 16:30

by puerhking » Apr 14th, '13, 16:30

08 Lin Yin Hao Youle Longpa Gushu -

Nice slightly mature notes with bean, mushroom and a touch of camphor on the finish.

Apr 14th, '13, 17:16

by JakubT » Apr 14th, '13, 17:16

solitude: Agreed. However, I find it unfrequent to have a decent tea for $50 or so.

Apr 15th, '13, 01:16

by yalokinh » Apr 15th, '13, 01:16

futurebird wrote:Today's tea is 2003 Xiaguan WDJG Hong Yin Tea Cake

I have a sample and I'm enjoying it, with about 3g in this new teapot:

http://www.sampletea.com/product/1990s- ... o-mei-zhen

It's 30ml, but it pours really quickly making it much easier to brew.

The price made me wince, but now I don't regret it. I think I'll sell a few pots and get a 2nd one of these.

OH!

I should say more about the tea...

This tea tastes older than I thought it would. The greenness of youth has transformed into what I'm fairly certain most would call "camphor" a lightly woody fragrant taste like the smell of nice old furniture (not dusty, though)

This tea is very clean, not musty or "old paper" smells.

It's only from 2003 but it tastes like some teas I've had from the mid 90s. --- but cleaner. I think It's great.
Hey Futurebird,
can you take more pictures of this pot? or video even, I'd love to see it.

Apr 15th, '13, 11:08

by gasninja » Apr 15th, '13, 11:08

2012 Bao Hong Yin Ji Yisanmo yiwu from origin tea. Nine grams in 115 ml zhuni pot. . The strong aftertaste that resides from your throat to your nasal cavity lets you know that this is a quality tea. I told myself i wouldnt buy anymore young pu but this cake has me rethinking that policy.

Apr 15th, '13, 11:16

by theredbaron » Apr 15th, '13, 11:16

JakubT wrote:2002 Yiwu Ancient spirit from YS. Wow... for the price, great stuff, seems to me.
Yes - a very nice tea, for this price. Very drinkable, and helps me saving on my dwindling stock of really nice teas.
I bought two cakes of that.

Another tea similar age and maybe even better storage conditions from Yunnansourcing which i would recommend is the Wu Chi Dao:

http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... oduct=1920

I bought three cakes of that one. I decided to let it age for a year or two more before breaking up the first cake. The price is with 44$ a cake even more reasonable.

Apr 15th, '13, 11:25

by theredbaron » Apr 15th, '13, 11:25

Oh, and by the way, a tea i bought around 4 1/2 years ago from YS, the 2003 CNNP "Yi Wu High Mountain Wild Arbor":

http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... roduct=409

developed really nice, when i tried it the last time a year or so ago. I don't know of course how the difference is between these years of storage in Kunming, and here in Bangkok - but for me that turned out to be a real winner.

Apr 15th, '13, 14:26

by Tead Off » Apr 15th, '13, 14:26

theredbaron wrote:
Yes - a very nice tea, for this price. Very drinkable, and helps me saving on my dwindling stock of really nice teas.
I bought two cakes of that.

Another tea similar age and maybe even better storage conditions from Yunnansourcing which i would recommend is the Wu Chi Dao:

http://www.yunnansourcing.com/store/pro ... oduct=1920

I bought three cakes of that one. I decided to let it age for a year or two more before breaking up the first cake. The price is with 44$ a cake even more reasonable.
Funny, I thought this a rather weak tea. Not much character or power. A 10 year old cake for $44. Can't expect much. I thought the Wu Chi Dao you mentioned to be a much better buy. But, we all are not going to agree about everything.

Apr 15th, '13, 14:39

by teaisme » Apr 15th, '13, 14:39

yeah interesting how we differ,
I also thought the wuchidao more tame and less potent then the ancient spirit (still enjoyed the wuchidao more for drinking now though)

storage was a little wetter on wuchidao, even though ancient spirit was one year older it tasted noticeably younger

I liked the mellowness and calming feelings of the wuchidao, made for a nice bed time puerh, and flexible for brewing both long and short

Apr 15th, '13, 15:20

by theredbaron » Apr 15th, '13, 15:20

Tead Off wrote: Funny, I thought this a rather weak tea. Not much character or power. A 10 year old cake for $44. Can't expect much. I thought the Wu Chi Dao you mentioned to be a much better buy. But, we all are not going to agree about everything.

Both teas aren't *great* teas, but i find them very good for every day drinking purposes, especially considering the reasonable price. The Ancient Spirit is not a very complex tea, but nice enough. I only tried the samples of the Wu Chi Dao, maybe three pots, and found it more complex in character. I will see later, in a year or so, when i plan to break up my first cake, how i will feel about it then.

+ Post Reply