Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby mr mopu » May 29th, '16, 19:46

Having a 2011 Bu Lang from Teanami today.
Leaf seems to be very nice with hints of a drier storage aroma.
I got 9.8 grams out for brewing in the gaiwan. Water was heated to 208f to start with. I heated the gaiwan and tossed the dry leaf in and shook it around. Opening the lid the aroma gives a bit of mineral and damp hay in there. Rinsing the leaf for about 5 seconds the aroma goes to a honey sweet hay type of aroma. Brewing the first cup, it doesn’t come across as a heavy type of brew. Semi-sweet and a bit of oily viscosity.
Second brew after letting the leaf absorb a touch are quite stronger. The tea starts to push the bitterness that Bu Lang is known for. The viscosity comes up as well. It hits the tip and side of the tongue well. Some tobacco is in there as well. Sitting back the tingle lasts a bit.
Successive brewing awakes it well. The wet leaf exudes the aroma so well.
Steeps 3 to 5 The activity moves back more in the mouth and throat. The sweetness after the sips will play in there as well. There is just a hint on my palate of smoke in there. This isn’t as astringent as some of the younger teas I have had but it packs a punch under all that sweet aroma the wet leaf gives off. For fans of Bu Lang and Mang Fei this will be right up your alley.

Flavors: Bitter, Hay, Honey, Mineral, Thick, Tobacco

mr mopu

Postby jayinhk » May 28th, '16, 05:01

90s 7581 (TW storage) in a big porcelain pot, dim sum restaurant style. Drinking from one of my mom's handpainted Jingdezhen cups from the 80s. Lovely drinking this tea this way; nice and light and not too strong. I quite like drinking my shu this way nowadays. I taste black tea and sweet and sourness today, along with the clean date/jujube flavor I love this recipe for, but since I'm brewing it light, the flavor isn't as intense (boo). Hoping to find some well stored 7581s in Yunnan, but I can always go back to Taiwan for more, I guess!

User avatar jayinhk

Postby Rui » May 27th, '16, 03:42

2013 Yunnan Sourcing Da Si from GreenTeaGuru in UK. A very pleasant apricot tasting and slightly sweet followed by a light bitter taste. Great tea already but it sounds like being one of those that would be even better in the future.

User avatar Rui

Postby mr mopu » May 25th, '16, 20:40

daidokorocha wrote:Well, I got a package in two days ago from Health Tea House with two mini puer cakes in it. I just finished the first tasting of the 2006 yr LongYu Yunnan Raw Puer tea Cake. Link is below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141721625831?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

This cake is $5.50 per 100 grams with free shipping. I think if you get it on Ali Express it is nearly a dollar cheaper. If you do the math for how much a 350 gram cake equivalent would be, from ebay it would be $19.25. Again, that includes shipping.

The smell of the cake is earth, smoke, menthol. Wet leaf smell is sweet wood and smoke. The taste is smooth smoke, very smooth earth, slight cooling effect. As steeps go on, it becomes a little bit juicier and more white fruit-like with some lasting sweetness. Slight, pleasant bitterness with quite high astringency. This could just be the way I brewed it and the fact that I used a significant part of the cake for one steep. The liquor is amber-orange, reminiscent of roasted oolong colors depending on the intensity of the steep. Much darker than what it shown in the pictures. Overall, it delivers many elements I desire in a shu with some of the elements I prefer in a sheng. Lingering aftertaste is floral and a feeling of mouth/throat being coated is present.

I can only comment on this relative to the 2005 CNNP 1938 Anniversary Yi Wu Zheng Shan Pu-erh I have been drinking. All other puerh lately has been shu, despite my preference for sheng. I prefer the CNNP personally since I like acidic, sour sheng with a slightly lighter liquor, but I think I will put in another order for two or three more of this Long Yu cake after I compare to the Yunnan Sourcing stuff I have coming in.
I got a Dayi from them. Legit real deal cake.

mr mopu

Postby daidokorocha » May 25th, '16, 17:34

Well, I got a package in two days ago from Health Tea House with two mini puer cakes in it. I just finished the first tasting of the 2006 yr LongYu Yunnan Raw Puer tea Cake. Link is below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141721625831?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

This cake is $5.50 per 100 grams with free shipping. I think if you get it on Ali Express it is nearly a dollar cheaper. If you do the math for how much a 350 gram cake equivalent would be, from ebay it would be $19.25. Again, that includes shipping.

The smell of the cake is earth, smoke, menthol. Wet leaf smell is sweet wood and smoke. The taste is smooth smoke, very smooth earth, slight cooling effect. As steeps go on, it becomes a little bit juicier and more white fruit-like with some lasting sweetness. Slight, pleasant bitterness with quite high astringency. This could just be the way I brewed it and the fact that I used a significant part of the cake for one steep. The liquor is amber-orange, reminiscent of roasted oolong colors depending on the intensity of the steep. Much darker than what it shown in the pictures. Overall, it delivers many elements I desire in a shu with some of the elements I prefer in a sheng. Lingering aftertaste is floral and a feeling of mouth/throat being coated is present.

I can only comment on this relative to the 2005 CNNP 1938 Anniversary Yi Wu Zheng Shan Pu-erh I have been drinking. All other puerh lately has been shu, despite my preference for sheng. I prefer the CNNP personally since I like acidic, sour sheng with a slightly lighter liquor, but I think I will put in another order for two or three more of this Long Yu cake after I compare to the Yunnan Sourcing stuff I have coming in.

daidokorocha

Postby Rui » May 24th, '16, 08:33

The wait for the 2016 teas is driving me to distraction. :lol:

User avatar Rui

Postby Rui » May 24th, '16, 07:41

Sipping 2015 Autumn Misty Peak raw pu'er tea. At the moment I am trying to finish the tea cake before I get the 2016 Spring version.

User avatar Rui

Postby stevorama » May 23rd, '16, 11:21

1995 Keyixing shu brick. Sublime and lasting many steeps. It's still recovering from a long journey and getting mauled by US customs, but quite enjoyable.

User avatar stevorama

Postby Rui » May 23rd, '16, 05:24

Sipping some tea from a 2014 Yi Wu mini tuo made up of whole leaves. These things are not cheap but they contain whole tea leaves. It has matured well in my pumidor for the last year or so and the liquor has now started turning very light orange. The soup is fairly smooth with very light astringency and no bitterness. My guess time has come for me to use them up.

User avatar Rui

Postby jayinhk » May 22nd, '16, 21:24

2008 Dayi Hong Yun Yuan Cha (shu). This is a 100g minicake made with very good small leaf material. I made the mistake of using a lot more tea than usual; smaller leaves deliver their payload much more quickly, so I'm using flash infusions. The first few infusions upset my tummy because they were so strong. I forgot how quickly this tea brews and used longer infusions than I should have. I should've diluted them down, but the tea tastes so delicious that I didn't want to dilute the flavor.

Flash infusions make for less flavorful tea with this shu. In future I'll grandpa brew small chunks of this stuff so I get a full-flavored brew without too much of a tummy upsetting punch. This is really lovely shu and I should pick up more to age as I think it'lll be amazing with another ten years of HK storage.

User avatar jayinhk

Postby Poseidon » May 16th, '16, 00:51

After a year absence from the board, 2008 Bulang Shan Imperial Grade from Crimson Lotus Tea is what I'm surfing around sipping tonight.

User avatar Poseidon
Contact Poseidon:

Postby jayinhk » May 15th, '16, 04:59

Drinking some knockoff 2005 7542 I've had aging in HK for four to five years. This tea has changed dramatically in that time. I put a large chunk into a F1 heini pot and I'm brewing it with flash infusions. I haven't brewed pu erh with a stuffed pot like this in quite a while. I'm getting interesting variations between the infusions; the last one was warm black tea with some kind of sweet citrus. Really quite pleasant. The last time I brewed this tea, I used a small amount of leaf and it wasn't bitter at all, but brewed in this manner it can get bitter very easily indeed. I can see this tea going for thirty or more infusions!

User avatar jayinhk

Postby debunix » May 7th, '16, 23:27

Enjoying the last of a small sample of the 1993 7842 from EoT: woodsy, mellow, sweet.

User avatar debunix
Contact debunix:

Postby mr mopu » May 7th, '16, 20:52

BW85 wrote:
I have drank the EoT 2012 Bulang and it isnt my favorite although sessions vary. I stopped paying attention to sessions as much lately but when I occasionally do I notice some nice ephemeral qualities. I'm just surprised how bitter it is!

Yes this tea has a powerful bitterness! It can be managed though. Less leaf than normal works for me. When i can mitigate the bitterness there is a lot going on. Very nice aromatics that linger in the nasal cavity after swallowing. The energy of this tea is also impressive

I agree on the less leaf and very short steepings as the tea has great strength to it.

mr mopu

Postby daidokorocha » May 7th, '16, 19:28

The hekai certainly sounds interesting, Zachary. Sounds like something I would probably enjoy greatly.

I actually had 4 puer sessions today. I tried all three of the ripe puer blends from Yunnan Sourcing. The reason I like puer blends I suppose is the same reason why I enjoy things like konacha (basically Japanese green fannings). I like to have tea with or right after food a lot and these teas are good to accent food and are certainly bold enough for them. I once tried drinking a cup of shincha over a very spicy meal. :cry:

I thought all three of the YS blended puers were quite good. The sticky rice one really did smell and taste like rice. The gynostemma one was very nice and herbaceous while the base was very mellow without any real earthy assertiveness that I imagine will make it a pleasure to drink with food or at night. The third with the snow chrysanthemum might have been my favorite. I lost count of the steeps for this one. This one had more earthiness that was complemented by the earthy floralness with what could be described as a sort of dill quality to it all. Very lovely. I can see this one going into my pot often.

I ended trying the 2005 CNNP 1938 ANNIVERSARY YI WU ZHENG SHAN again. This time I used much more leaf. I really like this tea and it really scratches the itch I have been having over the last year for what I think of when I think puer - at least raw puer. Started out more toward the smoky end of the spectrum again with slight sweetness before I began to brew it more assertively and it took on a much more tangy herb and fruit forward quality. The sourness certainly began to dominate in the middle and the smokiness entirely faded. The fruit came back as the sourness toned down a tad, and toward the end it became really succulent, very juicy. The consistency of the brew, the flavor, the mouthfeel, etc all made me feel like I was drinking very refreshing white fruit juice or biting into a piece of white fruit. Refreshing. Excellent. No bitterness; little astringency. The leaves were a good size except I botched some of them. Fall material. 20+ steeps.

daidokorocha

Today's Poll

Community

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest