Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby xiaobai » Mar 6th, '15, 05:54

TwoDog2 wrote:This "Taichung brutal style" sounds brutal. Must be a good stress test though, bad-average teas fall apart under conditions like that.

Taichung is Taiwan's most famous "Gangster city".

Those guys could not come up with a better method
to tell (tear?) apart bad from good teas... :D
xiaobai

Postby TwoDog2 » Mar 6th, '15, 05:33

xiaobai wrote:White2tea's New Amerikah 2 brewed in "Taichung brutal" style:

5g in a flat (160 ml) duanni pot
(no rinse, just let the pot overflow in the first steep)
1min/50sec/1min/2min/4min/8min/16min ...

Water from a Kunzan tetsubin at full boil (with steam coming out
at least 30cm out of the spout) and pouring into the pot at short distance.

You need the duanni to suppress the bitterness a bit.
And make sure you preheat the pot very very well...

Definitely, this method is not for the faint hearted.
But the tea feels just AMAAAAAZING!! :mrgreen:

This "Taichung brutal style" sounds brutal. Must be a good stress test though, bad-average teas fall apart under conditions like that.
TwoDog2
Vendor Member

Postby shah82 » Mar 5th, '15, 20:50

2011 Mangtang N.2 from YS. Has second grade Lincang leaves but has much of the aroma/taste character of a Dayi 7262 in its sweetbread way (not as strong, though), along with typical lincang bark quality. The tea hollows out quickly after about three brews, and becomes more of an emphasis on lincang edgy aromatics. This tea does coat the mouth with a characteristic taste. Slightly sour. Smooth, but not that thick, a couple of very light astringent finish. Has a bit more caffeine that expected, so with age, probably will gain some qi. This is an alright shu for the money.

Been doing more research on that shu cake and think I have it narrowed down to (if neifei is accurate and not a taipai) 7572/7592/8592 from the late '90s to '00 or '01. This tea was cooked pretty hard, which is not normal for 7572. 8592 generally don't tend to have perfectly generic wrappers.

Wistaria Hongyin was never a particularly overpriced tea unless the prices have changed radically. I'm not hugely excited about it, but it should actually be a good ager...
shah82

Postby BW85 » Mar 5th, '15, 12:29

Tead Off wrote:
BW85 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Re-visiting the 2008 Red Mark from Wistaria. This is a tea that is perplexing. The price tag vs. the enjoyment do not match up at all. It is smoky. It is slightly wet stored. It is rough in the finish. It is incredibly long lasting. But, there is no enjoyment for me in the drinking of it. Usually a tea like this smooths out after a number of brews and becomes accessible. After a dozen or so brews, the same taste, same roughness, some smoke and wetness. Eventually I gave up on it. Why drink anything that is not enjoyable unless it is medicine. And this, isn't medicine. :D

Is it possible that it's intended for long term aging? I thought I read somewhere about it being a recreation of the 50's red mark

It might be, but that doesn't mean that you can't drink it younger and have a nice tea to enjoy. I'm not a believer that a good puerh has to age 20 years before you can enjoy it. If it's good leaf, you should be able to drink it anytime. Of course, it will change over time, but no guarantee it will change to something really good. Storage smells and tastes are also not 'my thing'.

I've heard that the original red marks were nothing you'd want to drink young... Supposedly gut wrenching. I always assumed it was only relatively recently that puerh started being produced in a way that made it more conducive to drinking young.
BW85

Postby Tead Off » Mar 5th, '15, 06:57

BW85 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Re-visiting the 2008 Red Mark from Wistaria. This is a tea that is perplexing. The price tag vs. the enjoyment do not match up at all. It is smoky. It is slightly wet stored. It is rough in the finish. It is incredibly long lasting. But, there is no enjoyment for me in the drinking of it. Usually a tea like this smooths out after a number of brews and becomes accessible. After a dozen or so brews, the same taste, same roughness, some smoke and wetness. Eventually I gave up on it. Why drink anything that is not enjoyable unless it is medicine. And this, isn't medicine. :D

Is it possible that it's intended for long term aging? I thought I read somewhere about it being a recreation of the 50's red mark

It might be, but that doesn't mean that you can't drink it younger and have a nice tea to enjoy. I'm not a believer that a good puerh has to age 20 years before you can enjoy it. If it's good leaf, you should be able to drink it anytime. Of course, it will change over time, but no guarantee it will change to something really good. Storage smells and tastes are also not 'my thing'.
Tead Off
Vendor Member

Postby xiaobai » Mar 5th, '15, 05:57

White2tea's New Amerikah 2 brewed in "Taichung brutal" style:

5g in a flat (160 ml) duanni pot
(no rinse, just let the pot overflow in the first steep)
1min/50sec/1min/2min/4min/8min/16min ...

Water from a Kunzan tetsubin at full boil (with steam coming
at least 30cm out of the spout) and pouring into the pot at a short distance.

You need the duanni to suppress the bitterness a bit. And the pot must
be flat for it to cool quickly (but make sure you preheat the pot very very well...)

Definitely, this method is not for the faint hearted.
But the tea feels just AMAAAAAZING!! :mrgreen:
Attachments
na2.gif
na2.gif (63 KiB) Viewed 88 times
Last edited by xiaobai on Mar 6th, '15, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.
xiaobai

Postby BW85 » Mar 5th, '15, 05:23

BW85

Postby Rui » Mar 5th, '15, 05:09

2014 YS Autumn Qing Mei Shan Old Arbor Pu'er. Young tea but very enjoyable.
Rui

Postby Tead Off » Mar 4th, '15, 23:42

Re-visiting the 2008 Red Mark from Wistaria. This is a tea that is perplexing. The price tag vs. the enjoyment do not match up at all. It is smoky. It is slightly wet stored. It is rough in the finish. It is incredibly long lasting. But, there is no enjoyment for me in the drinking of it. Usually a tea like this smooths out after a number of brews and becomes accessible. After a dozen or so brews, the same taste, same roughness, some smoke and wetness. Eventually I gave up on it. Why drink anything that is not enjoyable unless it is medicine. And this, isn't medicine. :D
Tead Off
Vendor Member

Postby mr mopu » Mar 4th, '15, 22:31

Having Wymm’s Jingmai Spring from 2013.
I dropped it in the easy steeper and gave a short 5 second wash to start out. First brew also at 5 seconds. A nice orchid/floral aroma comes off this one from the cup. The color is a light golden honey color. I get into the cup and finally a Jingmai that is strong and sweet and no overly citrus y.
I usually don’t have a pen-chance for Jingmai tea for this reason. This is one that goes in the other direction. It has a good mouth-feel to it. Very thick across the tongue. It has a nice floral note that drifts into sweetness. This is no doubt first flush Spring tea as it has vigor to it. A nice sense of calm after drinking this and it has gone a cup or two a day for three days now. Nice tea.

Flavors: Floral, Honey, Sweet, Thick
mr mopu

Postby shah82 » Mar 4th, '15, 19:09

Using this spot for shu reviews...

Yesterday, did an unknown shu. Best guess is that it's an 8592/7592 from the early 2k's, and that it might have been an attempted fake of Menghai Chachang productions from those times. It has the same basic character as the White2tea white wrapper shu from '98--sweet aroma like caramel, a certain kind of TCM shu funk at base, smooth, decent thickness. This is not as strong as the white wrapper tuo in taste, but the taste is generally better. However, again, not really a strong tea and dies in about six or seven brews. I'm a little leery of drinking unknown shu, so even though I have a full cake of this, I may well put it away for a more desperate time.

'08 Haichao shu once sold by white2tea today. This is one of those shu that isn't offensive, but kind of sucks for attentive drinking. The steepster reviews generally have it right. Grease cleaning duties. I did entertain the notion that the flavor might indicate JingGu origin shu, but I really have no idea.
shah82

Postby mr mopu » Mar 2nd, '15, 06:56

shah82 wrote:Use donghetea.com to find out what people are talking about which Dayi products.

Thanks shah. :D
mr mopu

Postby shah82 » Mar 1st, '15, 22:27

Use donghetea.com to find out what people are talking about which Dayi products.
shah82

Postby AT333 » Mar 1st, '15, 22:08

mr mopu wrote:
AT333 wrote:Pu of the day is a wonderful 2005 Sheng Dayi. This tea comes in a set of 1kg size brick in Sheng and shou but I can only afford the Sheng. A nice drink for a cold day. :mrgreen:

Please a link for the source of this one? :D

I bought it from a teahouse some time ago. They seems to ran out of it and I am not sure where to find it online. :?
AT333

Postby mr mopu » Mar 1st, '15, 21:26

AT333 wrote:Pu of the day is a wonderful 2005 Sheng Dayi. This tea comes in a set of 1kg size brick in Sheng and shou but I can only afford the Sheng. A nice drink for a cold day. :mrgreen:

Please a link for the source of this one? :D
mr mopu

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions