Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby debunix » Apr 30th, '16, 17:27

2005 Menghai "Early Spring" sheng tuo....now getting to be a reasonable age, and aging marvelously. Spicy, earthy, mellow.

User avatar debunix
Contact debunix:

Postby Nighttrain » Apr 29th, '16, 14:13

Tea Urchin's 2013 Yiwu Peacock and I am FLYING. love this tea.

Nighttrain

Postby Rui » Apr 28th, '16, 04:21

This must be the week of the 2005 teas: today I am sipping 2005 Yi Wu Cha Yuan Big Green Tree of a sample I got from Yunnan Sourcing.

User avatar Rui

Postby Rui » Apr 27th, '16, 02:59

Today I am sipping some more of the 2005 traditionally stored 7542 that I bought from Green Tea Guru in UK. I love this cake with almost no wet storage characteristics which quickly disappear within two steepings.

User avatar Rui

Postby Rui » Apr 27th, '16, 02:57

daidokorocha wrote:
Rui wrote:Of the tea list posted the only one I have sipped before is "2002 Yong Pin Hao "Red Yi Wu Zheng Shan" Raw Pu-erh tea from Yi Wu" and that is because I tend to drink raw pu'er teas mainly although some of the teas you listed tempt me.

'
Rui, is this by chance you? http://steepster.com/rui-antunes

By other people sometime ago and on Yunnan Sourcing It is described as having a very heavy grape flavor, which I found interesting. Did you not get any of that?

A bit on the expensive side and I hope it is worth it.

Yes, it is me alright. I was wondering how long it would take for people to trace me back here. Now I better hide. :lol:

It is a very pleasant tea alright but I need to check my drinking notes and come back to you about specifics. Yong Pin Hao teas are in general of good quality and Yi Wu region teas also attract a premium for the past few years but in general they are worth the extra cost.

User avatar Rui

Postby daidokorocha » Apr 26th, '16, 08:45

Rui wrote:Of the tea list posted the only one I have sipped before is "2002 Yong Pin Hao "Red Yi Wu Zheng Shan" Raw Pu-erh tea from Yi Wu" and that is because I tend to drink raw pu'er teas mainly although some of the teas you listed tempt me.

'
Rui, is this by chance you? http://steepster.com/rui-antunes

By other people sometime ago and on Yunnan Sourcing It is described as having a very heavy grape flavor, which I found interesting. Did you not get any of that?

A bit on the expensive side and I hope it is worth it.

daidokorocha

Postby Rui » Apr 26th, '16, 02:39

Of the tea list posted the only one I have sipped before is "2002 Yong Pin Hao "Red Yi Wu Zheng Shan" Raw Pu-erh tea from Yi Wu" and that is because I tend to drink raw pu'er teas mainly although some of the teas you listed tempt me.

User avatar Rui

Postby daidokorocha » Apr 25th, '16, 22:47

I don't think I have any Pu... need to replenish. I might have a small sample somewhere, but other than that, nothing. So I just placed an order from yunnan sourcing. I purchased the following:

2005 * CNNP * 1938 Anniversary Premium Ripe Pu-erh Tea
2005 CNNP 1938 Anniversary Yi Wu Zheng Shan Pu-erh tea
2002 Yong Pin Hao "Red Yi Wu Zheng Shan" Raw Pu-erh tea from Yi Wu
2008 Menghai "Yang Chun San Yue" Raw Pu-erh tea cake
2015 Yunnan Sourcing "Nuo Mi Xiang" Ripe Pu-erh tea and Sticky Rice Herb
2015 Yunnan Sourcing "Tian Tang Cao" Ripe Pu-erh tea and Jiaogulan
2015 Yunnan Sourcing "Ying Shan Hong" Purple Black Tea and Snow Chrysanthemum (Well, this isn't puer!)
2013 Yunnan Sourcing Ripe Pu-erh and Snow Chrysanthemum tea mini cake
2005 Menghai 7592 501 Ripe Pu-erh Tea cake

I imagine this will keep me busy for awhile. Perhaps a little too heavy on the ripe, but I thought the cheap "Journey to the West" set seemed like an interesting thing to drink. Other than that it was 3 raw, 2 ripe. I suppose I will not see them for two weeks or so. In the meantime, I will try to search down that sample somewhere and give me some puer that I have been craving.

daidokorocha

Postby Rui » Apr 25th, '16, 06:00

Sipping a very nicely stored 7542 of 2005.

User avatar Rui

Postby Rui » Apr 22nd, '16, 04:46

Today and for the next few days I am trying to finish Tea Urchin's 2013 Snake Blend which has served me very well. Looking forward to find a similar replacing cake for this one or White2Tea's Bosch.

User avatar Rui

Postby Frisbeehead » Apr 22nd, '16, 00:22

I'm starting down the long, deep tunnel that is pu'erh. :)

http://imgur.com/a/D6EzN

Set up a pumidor using a mini fridge the other day. I have a decent digital hygrometer, and I am using Boveda packs (and a glass of water at the moment) for humidity control. It hovers around 70-72%, so it is working, which makes me very happy. I am also happy that I was able to find a cheap and clean fridge, and that I only had to do minimal cleaning and odor-eliminating.

I got my order of YQH the other day as well. I got the 2007 Lingya and the 2004 Teji (split with someone). So far I have only tried the Lingya, and I like it! It is smooth, sweet, gentle, aromatic, and very mildly bitter, though mostly smooth. It has a nice mouthfeel and mild thickness to it, and I get a good throat feeling from it. I think I am beginning my pu'erh addiction...or at least semi-aged/aged sheng, as I have not tried much young sheng yet. I am looking forward to exploring the different flavor profiles of pu'erh more.

I also ordered YS' 2002 Yiwu Ancient Spirit yesterday, as I have heard good things about that cake. I figured it would be a good base cake to begin my collection. The Lingya was the first full cake I have ever bought, so it will be nice to have the Ancient Spirit to switch to so that I don't drink too much of the Lingya. I'd like to save that one as much as I can.

In the near future I'd like to try some of White2Tea's sheng. i bought their basics setup a long time ago, and it wasn't bad. But I would like to try their better offerings for sure. Looking at the New Amerykah (2?), the Pin, and a couple others.

Looking forward to learning more about pu'erh in the years to come :D

User avatar Frisbeehead

Postby jayinhk » Apr 21st, '16, 00:00

2008 Menghai Hong Yun Yuan Cha. This tea appears to have softened in the months since I got it. It was very crumbly when it arrived, but I just cleanly snapped a chunk off now with almost no residual dust. Much smoother drinking and sweeter aroma too. Good enough that I want to buy a bunch up!

User avatar jayinhk

Postby Rui » Apr 20th, '16, 06:34

Sipping a pleasant Jingmai 2007 from Terre de Ciel in France. Nice tea already showing its middle age with astringency and bitterness mostly gone but unlike their other (now sold out) 2007 Jingmai this one is showing slight notes of what feels like some historical wet storage.

http://en.the-puer.com/p/shop.html#274

User avatar Rui

Postby jayinhk » Apr 18th, '16, 16:33

I sent someone on here a shu/sheng blend from across the street and he was amazed at how wet the storage was. I usually air traditional storage tea out for months or even years. That helps a lot with the ol storage aromas. Low to medium fired zini takes care of almost all of the rest!

User avatar jayinhk

Postby stevorama » Apr 18th, '16, 15:14

jayinhk wrote:.......Still, tradition counts for a lot here, and sometimes I just need a good ol' HK bo lei fix. I especially like drinking it at my office, when I know the old school tea dealers and their warehouses are all around me! I feel like part of HK tea history then. ;)

Good to hear your perspective and story. I don't think I've had a sheng puer that was so wet stored as to lose it's character. Some with hint of white frost, but plenty of character. I have some shu puer with more humid storage that I love, but it's well aired and has a nice old aged aroma without funk. I'm curious now to try some more wet stuff.

User avatar stevorama

Today's Poll

Community

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest