Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby Zared » Jan 23rd, '17, 02:19

kyarazen wrote:
Zared wrote:Mid 90's loose raw. Thick woody sweetness. This stuff is pretty potent. 20+ steeps and its not done. I acquired this from Orchid tea house today. I definetly need to come back and rescue some of the vintage teaware he sells.

his teas and wares are good! may i enquire the price of his mid 90s loose raw? :D

He has a lot of nice pieces for sure. My wallet thanks me for only buying a tiny teaboat and small amout of tea though. Price was $1/g. Not super cheap but priced fair considering how clean the storage is. I havent been drinking much HK\TW stored stuff lately so it was a nice change too.

Zared

Postby kyarazen » Jan 23rd, '17, 01:17

Zared wrote:Mid 90's loose raw. Thick woody sweetness. This stuff is pretty potent. 20+ steeps and its not done. I acquired this from Orchid tea house today. I definetly need to come back and rescue some of the vintage teaware he sells.

his teas and wares are good! may i enquire the price of his mid 90s loose raw? :D

User avatar kyarazen
Contact kyarazen:

Postby Zared » Jan 22nd, '17, 22:54

Mid 90's loose raw. Thick woody sweetness. This stuff is pretty potent. 20+ steeps and its not done. I acquired this from Orchid tea house today. I definetly need to come back and rescue some of the vintage teaware he sells.

Zared

Postby jayinhk » Jan 22nd, '17, 21:46

stevorama wrote:2006 CNNP 7581 Ripe Pu Erh Brick. From Tea Life HK. First sampling. Pleasant and smooth. Zao xiang.

Ah, that tea's been very popular! I especially like HK/Taiwan dry storage for 7581, but those bricks have had light traditional storage so you really get the best of both worlds. I haven't had any pu in a while...been drinking green teas and oolongs instead. Perhaps later today...

User avatar jayinhk
Vendor Member

Postby stevorama » Jan 22nd, '17, 15:12

2006 CNNP 7581 Ripe Pu Erh Brick. From Tea Life HK. First sampling. Pleasant and smooth. Zao xiang.

User avatar stevorama

Postby jayinhk » Jan 20th, '17, 23:51

stevorama wrote:
jayinhk wrote:I want to pick up an identification guide! Any suggestions? :)

The book I just got is Mushrooms Demystified by Arora. It's very comprehensive and dense. The book I use all the time is All That the Rain Promises and More by Arora. Mushrooms vary by region so you may need a local field guide. No need to be afraid of mushrooms, just don't eat them unless you know them! :mrgreen: Apologies for the non-pu diversion!!!

Thanks, I know the local government printing press puts out books on local fungi. I'll look into that now!

User avatar jayinhk
Vendor Member

Postby stevorama » Jan 20th, '17, 21:42

jayinhk wrote:I want to pick up an identification guide! Any suggestions? :)

The book I just got is Mushrooms Demystified by Arora. It's very comprehensive and dense. The book I use all the time is All That the Rain Promises and More by Arora. Mushrooms vary by region so you may need a local field guide. No need to be afraid of mushrooms, just don't eat them unless you know them! :mrgreen: Apologies for the non-pu diversion!!!

User avatar stevorama

Postby Rui » Jan 20th, '17, 08:55

jayinhk wrote:
Rui wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
stevorama wrote:I was wondering why everything seemed so sparkly and swirly, I thought it was just good cha qi! :wink:

It's a good time to use my new 959 page mushroom identification guide! Most mushrooms would turn into mush after a short time. This one is very durable to last 14 years. It might be a shelf mushroom or perhaps a type of lichen and was likely growing on wood. Probably not toxic (but maybe!) Perhaps it was harvested accidentally with the tea.

I want to pick up an identification guide! Any suggestions? :)

My suggestion is: leave it to the experts.

There are many mushrooms that are similar when one looks at them and that could be a problem.

My wife's father and I have been collecting wild mushrooms for years and I am still not confident enough on my own.

Yes, they say you need a microscope to really be sure of what you have because of how similar fungi are. We have had several cases of serious poisoning here, including a few that have necessitated kidney and liver transplants!

We have these here and I'd like to check them out..purely visually, of course :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnopilus_aeruginosus

Of course. The ones who pick are just for food purposes.

User avatar Rui

Postby jayinhk » Jan 20th, '17, 07:50

Rui wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
stevorama wrote:I was wondering why everything seemed so sparkly and swirly, I thought it was just good cha qi! :wink:

It's a good time to use my new 959 page mushroom identification guide! Most mushrooms would turn into mush after a short time. This one is very durable to last 14 years. It might be a shelf mushroom or perhaps a type of lichen and was likely growing on wood. Probably not toxic (but maybe!) Perhaps it was harvested accidentally with the tea.

There are many mushrooms that are similar when one looks at them and that could be a problem.

My wife's father and I have been collecting wild mushrooms for years and I am still not confident enough on my own.

Yes, they say you need a microscope to really be sure of what you have because of how similar fungi are. We have had several cases of serious poisoning here, including a few that have necessitated kidney and liver transplants!

We have these here and I'd like to check them out..purely visually, of course :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnopilus_aeruginosus

User avatar jayinhk
Vendor Member

Postby Rui » Jan 20th, '17, 04:01

jayinhk wrote:

User avatar Rui

Postby jayinhk » Jan 20th, '17, 01:15

User avatar jayinhk
Vendor Member

Postby stevorama » Jan 20th, '17, 00:29

I was wondering why everything seemed so sparkly and swirly, I thought it was just good cha qi! :wink:

User avatar stevorama

Postby pedant » Jan 19th, '17, 14:56

jayinhk wrote:
stevorama wrote:Discovered a "surprise" in my pu of the day. Emptied the pot and found a mushroom. In a shu pu er! Looks like some variety of shelf mushroom, identity to be determined.

That's scary! Some fungi are highly toxic and can cause serious nerve and kidney damage! I can see how mushrooms would sprout on shu. It serves as a substrate for fungi during decomposition, after all...

shu production is not totally unlike composting lol

User avatar pedant

Postby jayinhk » Jan 19th, '17, 04:17

stevorama wrote:Discovered a "surprise" in my pu of the day. Emptied the pot and found a mushroom. In a shu pu er! Looks like some variety of shelf mushroom, identity to be determined.

That's scary! Some fungi are highly toxic and can cause serious nerve and kidney damage! I can see how mushrooms would sprout on shu. It serves as a substrate for fungi during decomposition, after all...

User avatar jayinhk
Vendor Member

Postby stevorama » Jan 18th, '17, 23:50

Discovered a "surprise" in my pu of the day. Emptied the pot and found a mushroom. In a shu pu er! Looks like some variety of shelf mushroom, identity to be determined.

User avatar stevorama

Today's Poll

Community

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest