Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby jayinhk » Feb 12th, '16, 06:47

2005 CNNP unknown sheng cake I just bought. This is good HK traditional storage. No storage aromas in the cup and nice aged taste--really nice tea.
jayinhk

Postby Rui » Feb 12th, '16, 03:49

Beginner's mistake: sipping some couple of years old raw pu'er tea that I forgot to add an identification label! :lol:

Luckily not much left in the pleastic bag and it is not that yummy either.
Rui

Postby Rui » Feb 12th, '16, 03:44

jayinhk wrote:Been using gaiwans for two days and I forgot how good (bad) it felt on the fingertips!

LOL you are talking to the converted here. I have short fingers and I always burn them when I use a gaiwan. Still trying to find a gaiwan small enough for me.
Rui

Postby jayinhk » Feb 11th, '16, 23:23

2006 Taiwan dry storage 7581. This tea appears to have lost storage aroma since I took it home and tastes cleaner now. Maybe it'll be what I want in ten years! Brewing it in a gaiwan too. Been using gaiwans for two days and I forgot how good (bad) it felt on the fingertips!
jayinhk

Postby stevorama » Feb 11th, '16, 14:58

PurplePotato wrote:Just brewed that tea myself, starting the pot off yesterday and continuing today. Funnily enough, I had a similar response yesterday: oddly boring, but still pretty good. Today though, the tea was quite interesting, with plenty of stuff going on after the swallow.

Glad to hear it got interesting again. I haven't tried it over multiple days.

Generally I'm finding that I really like the profiles of Bana's ripe puer. This one really impressed me at first with it's nuance. Not so much the last couple of times I brewed it. I'll be curious to see how it changes over time. I think it's still mutable due to it's youth.
stevorama

Postby PurplePotato » Feb 11th, '16, 04:57

stevorama wrote:2015 Bana Tea Bulang ripe. A Best Teahouse production I believe.

I really liked it the first couple of times I brewed it. Bold, clean/no funk, some interesting aged type of flavors. Today, however, it was boring. Good, but boring. I think it might be the winter weather or that it's still settling.

Just brewed that tea myself, starting the pot off yesterday and continuing today. Funnily enough, I had a similar response yesterday: oddly boring, but still pretty good. Today though, the tea was quite interesting, with plenty of stuff going on after the swallow.
PurplePotato

Postby stevorama » Feb 10th, '16, 17:30

2015 Bana Tea Bulang ripe. A Best Teahouse production I believe.

I really liked it the first couple of times I brewed it. Bold, clean/no funk, some interesting aged type of flavors. Today, however, it was boring. Good, but boring. I think it might be the winter weather or that it's still settling.
stevorama

Postby jayinhk » Feb 10th, '16, 07:03

I've found their oolong to be good value, but their bo lei is just OK. Still worth a visit!

EDIT: The loose "Supreme Pu'Erh" shu from Ying Kee actually appears to be primarily sheng! That explains the bitterness. The leaves are distinctly sheng in the pot, with some darker shu leaves. Very wet HK storage for sure if you can't tell if it's shu or sheng, but I should have known from the mild bitterness. I thought it was just lightly fermented shu!
jayinhk

Postby Rui » Feb 10th, '16, 06:01

jayinhk wrote:Rui, Sheung Wan--my dad's factory was down the street right next to it. He worked in that area for over twenty years!

Brilliant thank you very much. That is very close to where my wife goes to buy silk embroidery. Next time when she goes to her shopping I'll spend my time more productively in the tea house!
Rui

Postby jayinhk » Feb 10th, '16, 04:45

Rui, Sheung Wan--my dad's factory was down the street right next to it. He worked in that area for over twenty years!
jayinhk

Postby Rui » Feb 10th, '16, 04:32

jayinhk wrote:Traditional storage loose shu from Ying Kee Tea House here in Hong Kong. The branch I bought this tea is where my father bought tea for years, even if he didn't know how to brew it correctly. Apparently this is Menghai/Dayi tea. Still tastes like storage after airing out for four years, but is interesting drinking nonetheless. Good, thick mouthfeel, and sweet and sour with some mild date aroma. Slight sheng bitterness too.

Which branch of the Ying Kee Tea House do you go to pretty please?
Rui

Postby jayinhk » Feb 10th, '16, 04:06

Traditional storage loose shu from Ying Kee Tea House here in Hong Kong. The branch I bought this tea from is where my father bought tea for years, even if he didn't know how to brew it correctly. Apparently this is Menghai/Dayi tea. Still tastes like storage after airing out for four years, but is interesting drinking nonetheless. Good, thick mouthfeel, and sweet and sour with some mild date aroma. Slight sheng bitterness too.
Last edited by jayinhk on Feb 10th, '16, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.
jayinhk

Postby Rui » Feb 10th, '16, 04:00

Re-sipping Chawangshop 2015 Hekai raw pu'er. A mild but very drinkable and reilable young raw pu'er for when I do not want to adventure to something new.
Rui

Postby debunix » Feb 8th, '16, 22:40

2010 Pa Sha Zhong Zhai Mao Cha, from Norbu. One of many young shengs I wish I'd bought more of at the time--herbaceous & powerful stuff, anise and molasses, spice/sharp/sweet. I put a ridiculously small quantity of leaf into my smallest unglazed Petr Novak shibo and the leaves are still going strong hours (and many infusions) later. Love the long sweetwater phase.
debunix

Postby debunix » Feb 7th, '16, 16:48

>Anyone have any personal sheng "staples" or know of any classic cakes that are worth trying? For shu I think I'll start with trying some different Menghai blends, since I've heard they're consistent and are a good base to start with.

The tricky part about advising someone on puerh purchases is that most of what I've got in my trunk is not available from the same sellers anymore.

For steady everyday shu puerh, I love the 2009 Lao Cha Tou I got from Norbu, so much so that I bought several more bricks, and I haven't run out of it yet; this looks similar but I can't vouch for it. Menghai Golden Needle White Lotus has also been reliable, from several different years.

When I first started exploring puerh 6 or 7 years ago, I got some very nice sheng from Norbu, but Greg has cut way back on those offerings. I've also got some that seems quite good from Yunnan Sourcing and Essence of Tea, but still, different specific lots from what is now available.
debunix

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions