Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Postby bonescwa » Dec 21st, '14, 15:32

Thanks for answering, even though it was off topic.
My minor contribution: some strange egg-shaped shu. I can't remember where I got it. It's not bad. Do any major shu factories make the egg shape?
bonescwa

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby BioHorn » Dec 21st, '14, 13:11

bonescwa wrote:
BioHorn wrote:Special day yesterday.
We had a HouDe sample of 80's Menghai Snow Mark (7532). It is still so nice now on day two. Looking forward to seeing how long it will go.
Pics are up on my Instagram feed at TeaZap.
Chip, any easy way to link those photos directly to the forum? (Thanks for the response.)

How do you feel about the effect of that pot?

To stay on topic...
Day three and this tea is still holding up nicely. It has a nice balance and is not too smoothed out. The effect on the breathe after many rounds is nice. It makes me want to sit and drink tea for a long time!

To answer your question:
(Petr Novak 80ml treebark pot)
The clay seems pretty neutral. I did some water tests. After leaving water in it overnight, it came out changed very little. Not nearly as much change as in other pots.

The nice pour seems to have a bigger effect. This one dumps right out in a matter of seconds. Likewise, the hear retention seems pretty good. Am still getting to know the details. I like pots that I can really heat up and that hold the heat. It is a beautiful pot. I am very thankful to Petr for putting so much care and effort into his work!
BioHorn

Official Pu of the day

Postby bonescwa » Dec 21st, '14, 12:03

BioHorn wrote:Special day yesterday.
We had a HouDe sample of 80's Menghai Snow Mark (7532). It is still so nice now on day two. Looking forward to seeing how long it will go.
Chip, any easy way to link those photos directly to the forum? (Thanks for the response.)

How do you feel about the effect of that pot?
bonescwa

Postby BioHorn » Dec 20th, '14, 18:41

Special day yesterday.
BioHorn

Postby drinking_teas » Dec 19th, '14, 09:52

Balthazar wrote:2005 Mengku Gong Ting mini cake, yesterday evening. My first Mengku ripe, which delivered all I could hope for (and a bit more) for that price. Actually reminds me quite a bit of V93. I have no idea how it tasted back in '05, but nine years later there's definitely no traces of off-flavors. Only 4-5 great infusions, but I rarely have shus that deliver more than that anyways.

Shouldn't have started as late as I did, though, another night with problems falling asleep.

I see YS sells a 2007 version (400g cake) for $26, if that's that the same thing (only a bigger cake and two years younger) I might have to pick some up in the future. Although the 2005 version would only be ~$30 per 400g, so I might just stick to that. In any case, a new favorite for me as far as affordable recipe shupu goes.

I have this one and I like it as well. Very deep flavor with no funkiness.
drinking_teas

Postby Balthazar » Dec 19th, '14, 05:24

2005 Mengku Gong Ting mini cake, yesterday evening. My first Mengku ripe, which delivered all I could hope for (and a bit more) for that price. Actually reminds me quite a bit of V93. I have no idea how it tasted back in '05, but nine years later there's definitely no traces of off-flavors. Only 4-5 great infusions, but I rarely have shus that deliver more than that anyways.

Shouldn't have started as late as I did, though, another night with problems falling asleep.

I see YS sells a 2007 version (400g cake) for $26, if that's that the same thing (only a bigger cake and two years younger) I might have to pick some up in the future. Although the 2005 version would only be ~$30 per 400g, so I might just stick to that. In any case, a new favorite for me as far as affordable recipe shupu goes.
Balthazar

Postby PurplePotato » Dec 19th, '14, 04:29

A bulang(ish) blend today, started off in the morning and still going strong. No exact measurements, but roughly (1 part >= 1 gram):

4 parts - 2012 Autumn Da Meng Long Ya Kou
2 parts - 2013 Spring Zhangjia
3 parts - 2007 Wild Big Leaf CNNP Tiepai
.5 parts - 2010 Yunnan Sourcing Spring Jie Liang
PurplePotato

Postby debunix » Dec 18th, '14, 22:06

A very very nice session with the ever-reliable 2008 Norbu Yi Wu bamboo-aged puerh: a small portion of a column in a very small Petr Novak shiboridashi for several infusions; then after the leaves sat overnight, a busy day led to their being dumped into my thermos, topped with water just off the boil. Despite this tea-leaf-abuse, the result was a lovely afternoon with a lovely tea, sweet, caramel, and fruity notes predominating. Mmm.
debunix

Postby Zacherywolf7 » Dec 18th, '14, 20:47

Early 70's Guang Dong Tuocha from Essence of Tea
Smelled liked aged puerh. Massive taste and Qi, my notes are, "Huge smell of perfect woodsiness. Herbaceous. Dark. Incredibly clean. Damp forest of the Gods, mushrooms, very nice bitterness. Qi like no other…….. " written in a frenzy of tea drunkness.
Zacherywolf7

Postby kyarazen » Dec 18th, '14, 11:45

Just had an amazing ripe liubao at a tea acquaintance's place in malaysia. Kinda blew my mind that it could taste like that. Memorable.

Very Small lesson learnt not to discriminate the ripe, although majority of ripes are disappointing.
kyarazen

Postby Rui » Dec 18th, '14, 05:26

Rui

Postby chrl42 » Dec 15th, '14, 23:58

Cha Zhong You Yi ripe, Shun Hai factory.

They say made from Bulang material.

I had Sheng (Xigui + Bingdao) the other day..and thought it needs to be stored longer...this time their ripe one is much better, and ready to drink. :)
chrl42

Postby kyarazen » Dec 15th, '14, 14:40

having some hojo daxueshan wild pu-erh.

not bad, a very light whiff of smoke but not very deep tasting, a tad short on the umami and brew thickness, violet florals and green yellow fruitiness. perhaps will improve very much in proper storage/aging and increasing leaf quantity.

kyarazen

Postby debunix » Dec 14th, '14, 14:44

Brought out the dragon for a spin with some Norbu 2009 Lao Mansa.

I used a quite small quantity of tea for the size of the vessel, and long infusions because of that, but still, a lovely session starting last night and into this morning.

debunix

Postby bagua7 » Dec 13th, '14, 09:00

The joys of internet communication. I totally misunderstood your message...I wasn't upset though, just a bit surprised. :mrgreen:

All good! :)

Did you get similar notes?
bagua7

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions