Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby shah82 » Aug 30th, '15, 01:21

'09 Ziyun shu. Much like Star of Menghai crossed with GNWL. Has a touch of qi. The flavor wasn't very durable, about five brews or so.
shah82

Postby Bryan_drinks_te... » Aug 30th, '15, 01:17

The 1980's loose leaf pu-erh from teaClassico made me very ill. Has anyone else had this issue?
Bryan_drinks_te...

Postby mr mopu » Aug 28th, '15, 20:25

Jaymo wrote:Today I revisited a shu from my very first puerh order, the 2004 Old Youle ripe brick from puerhshop. This has been buried away for quite awhile now!

There's some really sketchy looking material in this cake! Lots of twigs. (I'm hesitant to even call it stem material because they are so woody.) At least there's no hair or anything, just crappy-grade tea!

I gave it a couple rinses which came out a nice ruby color. By the time I got to the 3rd steeping, (the 1st actual pour after the rinses,) it had already opened up quite a bit and was super dark-brown with a little red around the edges of the cup, and that was just with a quick flash steeping.

Honestly, it's better than I remember, for shu. The body is pretty huge, for one thing! The flavor isn't overly complex, but it is very buttery which works well with the full mouthfeel. There isn't any residual off-flavor from the shu-processing either, so that's a plus.

Lastly, QI FOR DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS! I actually had to drink less of this than I normally would in a session because it packs a punch!

All in all, I'm glad I dug this back out. I don't drink much shu lately, but I enjoy this. It's probably my second favorite shu after Dayi Golden Needle White Lotus.

I echo those notes on this. When I got it I was like what the heck!
Turned out well though.
mr mopu

Postby William » Aug 28th, '15, 15:39

Drinking right now some Da Xue Shan maocha (2015) from hojotea .. so yummy! :D
William

Postby Zacherywolf7 » Aug 28th, '15, 13:52

Drinking the Tuhao as *freak* today. I love Bulang and this tea has the characteristics in spades, easy to tell it is of very high quality. The bitterness turns into a very implemented sweetness. The flavor plays off the balance of malty and flowery/fruity aspects. The liquid is very thick and does pool in the throat, even 5 minutes after my last sip its as if I have something in my throat. And yes, the qi is strong.
Zacherywolf7

Postby Jaymo » Aug 28th, '15, 04:38

Today I revisited a shu from my very first puerh order, the 2004 Old Youle ripe brick from puerhshop. This has been buried away for quite awhile now!

There's some really sketchy looking material in this cake! Lots of twigs. (I'm hesitant to even call it stem material because they are so woody.) At least there's no hair or anything, just crappy-grade tea!

I gave it a couple rinses which came out a nice ruby color. By the time I got to the 3rd steeping, (the 1st actual pour after the rinses,) it had already opened up quite a bit and was super dark-brown with a little red around the edges of the cup, and that was just with a quick flash steeping.

Honestly, it's better than I remember, for shu. The body is pretty huge, for one thing! The flavor isn't overly complex, but it is very buttery which works well with the full mouthfeel. There isn't any residual off-flavor from the shu-processing either, so that's a plus.

Lastly, QI FOR DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYS! I actually had to drink less of this than I normally would in a session because it packs a punch!

All in all, I'm glad I dug this back out. I don't drink much shu lately, but I enjoy this. It's probably my second favorite shu after Dayi Golden Needle White Lotus.
Jaymo

Postby Bryan_drinks_te... » Aug 27th, '15, 22:34

I had a session of the 1980s loose maocha from tea Classico . It's ok, I don't think it's from the 80's, maybe it's from the early 90's. It has a good bit of astringency in it, and the mouthfeel was a little thinner than I like. I'm pretty sure that the goofball that was brewing the tea may have had a helping hand in its outcome, too. :mrgreen:
Bryan_drinks_te...

Postby drinking_teas » Aug 25th, '15, 13:11

PurplePotato wrote:Had some shu today, the 2012 Aomen Hualian Hobbes recommended on his blog, acquired via the bao of taos.

RipeBubblesLowRes.jpg

Punchy.

yeah this one is strong.
drinking_teas

Postby Rui » Aug 23rd, '15, 02:54

2015 Terre de Ciel Ailao Shan raw pu'er very nice and very young tea. :)
Rui

Postby PurplePotato » Aug 23rd, '15, 02:12

Had some shu today, the 2012 Aomen Hualian Hobbes recommended on his blog, acquired via the bao of taos.

RipeBubblesLowRes.jpg
RipeBubblesLowRes.jpg (93.93 KiB) Viewed 144 times

Punchy.
PurplePotato

Postby Jaymo » Aug 22nd, '15, 23:43

Puerlife wrote:Jaymo - Ha, what a coincidence. I pulled the same tea off the shelf today: same vendor, year and batch. Your notes are exactly what I experienced. It was absolutely wretched when I bought it, just nasty grass, but after some time in a non airtight caddy it seemingly aged years in a month and was at least drinkable, at least with my low expectations. But today's session was sad. Nice notes. :)

Haha. That is a funny coincidence. For a cake that was/is under $20, I had pretty low expectations from the beginning on it too. I just added it to an order when I picked up some other cakes from them a year or 2 ago on a whim. As far as young-ish Dayi cakes go, I'm more of a fan of their 0622 recipe. In general, for younger sheng I tend to lean toward sweet/fruitier teas like many Yiwus and I'd rather drink funky, old traditional/"wet" stored stuff most of the time, but if I'm in the mood for something edgier on the cheap end, 0622 is my preference thus far in my limited experience.
Jaymo

Postby z_lamp » Aug 22nd, '15, 16:57

Finished a session with the 02 little yellow mark last night. Nice complex tea -- began smoky and leathery with a lingering bitterness. The smoke gradually disappeared as the session progressed and was replaced by a wonderful, thick sweetness. The cha qi was kind of insane too. 5.4g leaf, 100mL ruyao gaiwan from white2tea. Had success ramping steeps up a lot more linearly than with most teas.
z_lamp

Postby BW85 » Aug 21st, '15, 23:45

Beautiful, William :D
BW85

Postby the_economist » Aug 21st, '15, 14:28

Pretty!
the_economist

Postby William » Aug 21st, '15, 10:56

Yongle, 2005.