Prices of new cakes


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Prices of new cakes

Postby Robertwolf1 » Nov 25th, '08, 13:49

Some new cakes are much more expensive than others of the same age. Are these newer cakes more drinkable now compared to lower cost cakes of the same year. I realize wild is more expensive but are they really that much better. Looking for some experienced opinions on this.
A few examples-
http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Xi-Zhi-Hao-Hua ... m153.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hai-Lang-Hao-Lao-Ba ... m153.l1262
User avatar
Robertwolf1
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Oct 29th, '
Location: Houston

Re: Prices of new cakes

Postby PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 25th, '08, 14:01

Robertwolf1 wrote: I realize wild is more expensive but are they really that much better.


This is quite a heated, debated, discussion and there really is no right answer other than simply experiment for yourself and see if the "wild" stuff actually tastes better to you.

Personally, I would never pay that much for a single cake unless I had money to literally burn. I also know a lot of pu heads will also agree, you can get cakes that are 5-7 years old for that or cheaper.
User avatar
PolyhymnianMuse
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Dec 30th, '
Location: Sandy Run Road, Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Prices of new cakes

Postby hop_goblin » Nov 25th, '08, 15:41

Robertwolf1 wrote:Some new cakes are much more expensive than others of the same age. Are these newer cakes more drinkable now compared to lower cost cakes of the same year. I realize wild is more expensive but are they really that much better. Looking for some experienced opinions on this.
A few examples-
http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Xi-Zhi-Hao-Hua ... m153.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hai-Lang-Hao-Lao-Ba ... m153.l1262


Age, is only to a certain degree responsible for price. When we pay for age we are 1. Paying for the rarity of the tea and 2. The time investment by the vendor. However, you also have to take into consideration that just because it is old does not mean that it is a good tea. What you are trying to do is make a mistake that many novices to pu-erh make that age = good. To the contrary for the reason explained below.

Price really has nothing to do with the ability of being able to drink a sheng "now". In fact many great teas such as those from the Lao Banzhang area are too powerful in terms of bitterness to drink when they are young. However, you will certainly pay more for a pure 2008 gu shu (old tree) example of LB than lets say a 5 year old MengHai 7542. Why, it is all about chaqi, aging capability and availability of of Mao cha "processed leaves". *note* they must be at the right level, the right kind with the right flavors to be considered good.

It is a very complicated topic but here are a few pointers.

If you can drink a shengpu "raw" like a green tea, while young without letting the bitterness and acidity get to you after a few infusions, their is a good likelihood it will not age. Good Shengpu needs durability for the aging process to occur. If it is light, airy, taste like a good oolong or green tea and not pu-erh, you can bet it will definitely become lighter, airy as it ages.

As for Wild, semi wild, plantation well this academic discussion that will certainly take more than a post to explain. However, wild semi wilds have more cha yun or "mouth sensations" are more active and more chaqi when compared to plantation stuff. In this regard, wild leaves are worth the price.
User avatar
hop_goblin
 
Posts: 1937
Joined: May 22nd, '
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!

Postby shogun89 » Nov 25th, '08, 19:23

As I have only been in pu for a year, do not take this heavily. My experience is that the wild, old arbor. . . are all going to be better for long term storage. In my opinion however the price is a little stiff. Though that could just be because I dont have a job yet. Anyway I am in the market for cakes that are no higher than $20, $10 preferred. And I think there are some good cakes out there for these prices. So in my opinion it all comes down to this, do you want 5 very nice cakes or 30 pretty good cakes. Not saying that quanity is better than quality, I would choose the second. Because in my opinion there is not a huge difference between a $40 cake and a $10 cake. This is just my opinion.
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby hop_goblin » Nov 25th, '08, 19:28

shogun89 wrote:As I have only been in pu for a year, do not take this heavily. My experience is that the wild, old arbor. . . are all going to be better for long term storage. In my opinion however the price is a little stiff. Though that could just be because I dont have a job yet. Anyway I am in the market for cakes that are no higher than $20, $10 preferred. And I think there are some good cakes out there for these prices. So in my opinion it all comes down to this, do you want 5 very nice cakes or 30 pretty good cakes. Not saying that quanity is better than quality, I would choose the second. Because in my opinion there is not a huge difference between a $40 cake and a $10 cake. This is just my opinion.


Very true shogun.. I think when you are starting out, I would stick to time honored recipes until you build your collection.
User avatar
hop_goblin
 
Posts: 1937
Joined: May 22nd, '
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!

Postby shogun89 » Nov 25th, '08, 19:34

hop_goblin wrote:
shogun89 wrote:As I have only been in pu for a year, do not take this heavily. My experience is that the wild, old arbor. . . are all going to be better for long term storage. In my opinion however the price is a little stiff. Though that could just be because I dont have a job yet. Anyway I am in the market for cakes that are no higher than $20, $10 preferred. And I think there are some good cakes out there for these prices. So in my opinion it all comes down to this, do you want 5 very nice cakes or 30 pretty good cakes. Not saying that quanity is better than quality, I would choose the second. Because in my opinion there is not a huge difference between a $40 cake and a $10 cake. This is just my opinion.


Very true shogun.. I think when you are starting out, I would stick to time honored recipes until you build your collection.


Well, it makes me feel good that you agree with me on that part. If I spent $40 per cake I would have about 2 cakes now. So for the moment its the cheapo's.
User avatar
shogun89
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15th, '
Location: Pennsylvania


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation