Yak Butter Tea

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Yak Butter Tea

Postby devites » Nov 27th, '08, 19:17

I was wondering if anyone knows any good recipes for how to make something similar. Butter Tea seems like a great drink for winter. Perhaps a good use of my average shu puerhs.
devites

Postby tony shlongini » Nov 27th, '08, 21:08

Anyone up for a group buy on a yak?
tony shlongini

Re: Yak Butter Tea

Postby chamekke » Nov 27th, '08, 21:11

devites wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows any good recipes for how to make something similar. Butter Tea seems like a great drink for winter. Perhaps a good use of my average shu puerhs.

I'd try this recipe. It's been a while since I had butter tea, but this looks pretty faithful:

Po Cha (Tibetan Butter Tea)

There are some "foodie" recipes on the same site if you're feeling adventurous. Momo-s (dumplings)... yummy!

P.S. Cow milk is perfectly good in butter tea.
P.P.S. This is usually where someone says there is no such thing as yak milk (because the yak is the male).
chamekke

Re: Yak Butter Tea

Postby hop_goblin » Nov 27th, '08, 21:37

chamekke wrote:
devites wrote:I was wondering if anyone knows any good recipes for how to make something similar. Butter Tea seems like a great drink for winter. Perhaps a good use of my average shu puerhs.

I'd try this recipe. It's been a while since I had butter tea, but this looks pretty faithful:

Po Cha (Tibetan Butter Tea)

There are some "foodie" recipes on the same site if you're feeling adventurous. Momo-s (dumplings)... yummy!

P.S. Cow milk is perfectly good in butter tea.
P.P.S. This is usually where someone says there is no such thing as yak milk (because the yak is the male).

hahah :lol:
hop_goblin

Postby devites » Nov 28th, '08, 00:06

I made some using a decent chunk of puerh (four quarters stacked) 1.5 cups of water, .5 cup of half and half, teaspoon of butter, pinch of salt.

Boiled water, added tea, let sit for 3 minutes, add milk, additional 10 minutes, then shake with butter and salt for 2 minutes and drink.

The taste is rich and catches you off guard. I'm going to try it again with ghee and different types of tea and will keep updating until I get it right. This is something I could see myself enjoying while camping or hiking as it feels warm and wonderful in your stomache, is very filling, and gives you energy.
Last edited by devites on Nov 29th, '08, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.
devites

Postby shogun89 » Nov 28th, '08, 00:13

devites wrote:I made some using a decent chunk of puerh (four quarters stacked) 1.5 cups of water, .5 cup of half and half, teaspoon of butter, pinch of salt.

Boiled water, added tea, let sit for 3 minutes, add milk, additional 10 minutes, then shake with butter and salt for 2 minutes and drink.

The taste is rich and catches you off guard. I'm going to try it again with ghee (goats butter) and different types of tea and will keep updating until I get it right. This is something I could see myself enjoying while camping or hiking as it feels warm and wonderful in your stomache, is very filling, and gives you energy.

Hit PS and get some of the Tibetan Flame bricks.
shogun89

Postby chamekke » Nov 28th, '08, 02:40

Tibetan butter tea is very enjoyable. Maybe you don't want to drink it if you're on a diet ... but if you're cold and hungry, or just in need of some warming sustenance, this stuff really hits the spot!
chamekke

Postby devites » Dec 1st, '08, 21:00

Just an update:
I used Ghee, or clarified butter, and the result was more appetizing than before, and I also used more puerh (about 6 quarters stacked) so that the tea was more pronounced. I think I'm going to start making this in bulk and refrigerating to drink in the cold winter months.
devites

Postby PolyhymnianMuse » Dec 1st, '08, 21:08

devites wrote:Just an update:
I used Ghee, or clarified butter, and the result was more appetizing than before, and I also used more puerh (about 6 quarters stacked) so that the tea was more pronounced. I think I'm going to start making this in bulk and refrigerating to drink in the cold winter months.

Wouldnt the butter solidify and seperate putting the tea in the fridge?
PolyhymnianMuse

Postby devites » Dec 1st, '08, 21:17

Nothing a little reheating and stirring can;t fix. :D
devites

Postby shogun89 » Dec 1st, '08, 21:43

Interesting, I gotta bust out my Tibetan bricks and get some butter.
shogun89

Postby fencerdenoctum » Dec 3rd, '08, 02:38

The recipe I have is pretty much the same, but I'm sans a pu brick. Might have to try some of Adagio's Dante just for kicks. I'll remember to write a will first though.

The Tea Sipping Swordsman,
Fencerdenoctum
fencerdenoctum

Postby Salsero » Dec 3rd, '08, 02:45

This whole thread needs to be moved to the Insanity forum. Butter, yaks, flaming Tibetan bricks.

Any Rancid Yak Butter Tea Party fans here?
Salsero

Postby expatCanuck » Dec 11th, '08, 21:34

expatCanuck

Postby Salsero » Dec 12th, '08, 00:14

Great link. Thanks.
Salsero

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions