Hairy vs non Hairy

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Hairy vs non Hairy

Postby Fatman2 » Nov 28th, '08, 03:02

Don't get me wrong. I am not talking about the hirsute thingee.
:lol:

For pu, I wonder why is it that at times I see lots of white fur on the tippy leaves and at times I don't see any at all. Anybody can share why?

User avatar Fatman2
Posts: 83
Joined: Sep 02, '08
Location: Singapore

Postby kymidwife » Nov 28th, '08, 07:45

When I saw the topic header, I thought.... hmmm, should this have been an option on today's TeaDay poll? Words to describe your tea, that you might usually use to describe your woman? :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar kymidwife
Posts: 1334
Joined: May 10, '08
Location: Kentucky

Postby Trioxin » Nov 28th, '08, 08:08

I'm guessing it just gets to be a pain in the ass for those that have to shave the tea.

Yeah,.. I have no idea

User avatar Trioxin
Posts: 627
Joined: Mar 04, '08
Location: Peoria, IL

Postby Salsero » Nov 28th, '08, 10:26

Great question.

User avatar Salsero
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 20, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby shogun89 » Nov 28th, '08, 11:02

I dont know but here a wild guess. More harsh processing techniques cause the hair to fall off where gentle and careful processing leaves it on.
The baby leaves on my camellias haves lots of fur on them, not that that matters but though you just might want to hear. :lol:

User avatar shogun89
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15, '08
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Fatman2 » Nov 28th, '08, 11:31

Anybody else knows?

User avatar Fatman2
Posts: 83
Joined: Sep 02, '08
Location: Singapore

Postby puerhking » Nov 28th, '08, 11:55

I prefer my women to be hair...um oh hold on......okay.....wrong post. Never mind. :lol:

User avatar puerhking
Posts: 745
Joined: Jul 07, '08
Location: ostensible universe

Postby Fatman2 » Nov 28th, '08, 11:57

Good try. Are there any botanist in our midst? Or tea plant researcher? Anyone?

User avatar Fatman2
Posts: 83
Joined: Sep 02, '08
Location: Singapore

Postby puerhking » Nov 28th, '08, 12:01

perhaps it is a function of the age of the leaf. new buds are enveloped by hairs and as it opens it retains them and slowly loses them as it ages?

User avatar puerhking
Posts: 745
Joined: Jul 07, '08
Location: ostensible universe

Postby shogun89 » Nov 28th, '08, 12:01

puerhking wrote:I prefer my women to be hair...um oh hold on......okay.....wrong post. Never mind. :lol:


hahahaha

User avatar shogun89
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15, '08
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby hop_goblin » Nov 28th, '08, 12:02

Well, as the converstion usually goes, hair can be an indication of "wildness", in that wild leaves can have and generally do have more hair. Some say hat Plantation leaves have less hair. And then you have to throw in the idea that Broad leaves generally have more hair than smaller leaves which come from bushes. Also, some cheaper pu is made up or a mixture of 'green tea' and not actually tea tree broad leaf material which can account for some of the lack of hair. Here is the kicker, none of the above mentioned should ever be taken as a sign of determining whether a pu is made of wild tea tree as it is very difficult to tell by simply looking at it.

User avatar hop_goblin
Posts: 1955
Joined: May 22, '06
Location: Trapped inside a bamboo tong!
Contact hop_goblin:

Postby shogun89 » Nov 28th, '08, 12:02

Fatman2 wrote:Good try. Are there any botanist in our midst? Or tea plant researcher? Anyone?


I own teaplants if that helps. . . . .

User avatar shogun89
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15, '08
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby beecrofter » Nov 28th, '08, 12:09

My understanding of yin hao or pubescent leaf is that is it just younger and the leaf overall contains the same number of hairs but that when mature they are spread over a larger surface.

beecrofter
Posts: 277
Joined: Jul 23, '09

Postby Fatman2 » Nov 28th, '08, 12:10

shogun89 wrote:
Fatman2 wrote:Good try. Are there any botanist in our midst? Or tea plant researcher? Anyone?


I own teaplants if that helps. . . . .


OK. Looks like you have an opportunity for research. Can you monitor over the next few years and let us know. :)

User avatar Fatman2
Posts: 83
Joined: Sep 02, '08
Location: Singapore

Postby Fatman2 » Nov 28th, '08, 12:11

hop_goblin wrote:Well, as the converstion usually goes, hair can be an indication of "wildness", in that wild leaves can have and generally do have more hair. Some say hat Plantation leaves have less hair. And then you have to throw in the idea that Broad leaves generally have more hair than smaller leaves which come from bushes. Also, some cheaper pu is made up or a mixture of 'green tea' and not actually tea tree broad leaf material which can account for some of the lack of hair. Here is the kicker, none of the above mentioned should ever be taken as a sign of determining whether a pu is made of wild tea tree as it is very difficult to tell by simply looking at it.


Sounds interesting. Anyone with a second opinion?

User avatar Fatman2
Posts: 83
Joined: Sep 02, '08
Location: Singapore


Today's Poll



Community

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest