2000 Zen Trinity Brick (Shu)

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 29th, '08, 22:01

2000 Zen Trinity Brick (Shu)

by trent » Nov 29th, '08, 22:01

I bought this brick for $80 bucks @ Chaikhana Tea Culture in Santa Cruz on Friday. The owner (whom I trust after visiting the shop for 6 months) personally knows the guy who made the tea. If I remember right, the makers name is Master Wong.

I tried the tea today, and it's amazing - crystal clear and long lasting. I'm on about the 30th infusion, and it's still holding strong. However, I've hardly had any pu erh before, so it might not take much to impress me.

Has any one tried this? If so, how did you like it?

Nov 29th, '08, 22:32

by hop_goblin » Nov 29th, '08, 22:32

Awwhh man, $80 for shu! :shock:

Nov 29th, '08, 22:35

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 29th, '08, 22:35

hop_goblin wrote:Awwhh man, $80 for shu! :shock:
I know right! Good thing you really enjoy it. :P

Nov 29th, '08, 22:53

by trent » Nov 29th, '08, 22:53

I forgot to add, here's a link to the brick @ teance. They happen to carry the same one.

http://www.teance.com/Zen_Trinity_Compr ... tea842.htm

Nov 29th, '08, 22:58

by puerhking » Nov 29th, '08, 22:58

I would purchase one or two shu's from YSLLC or Puershop in the $10-$15 range and compare them. Its hard to know what you have....if you do not have anthing to compare it to.

Nov 30th, '08, 00:25

by Trioxin » Nov 30th, '08, 00:25

Thats a pricey little sucker isn't it.

Nov 30th, '08, 00:28
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Nov 30th, '08, 00:28

I've got a bing of shu that I paid $60 for - it is quite a bit different from your typical shu. The flavor profile is actually more similar to aged sheng, although it is still identifiably shu.

Nov 30th, '08, 00:45

by trent » Nov 30th, '08, 00:45

the shu doesn't have even a hint of a wet stored scent or taste. The dry leaves smell like spicy (not sweet) sandalwood followed by dates. Lively would best describe the liqour: one infusion tastes solely of dates, another like a dry and woody forest floor, and yet another like mint. The longevity of the tea leads me to believe that it is high quality... it lasted at least 30 brews. Now, I'm taking a nod from Tibet and boiling the leaves in a kettle to extract the remaining juices.

abx, does this sound similar to your high quality shu?

Nov 30th, '08, 05:27

by hop_goblin » Nov 30th, '08, 05:27

I have a question, why would you pay $80 for shou when you could possibly buy a nice slightly aged sheng beeng for that much. I have tasted high end shou and frankly, it left me thinking what is the difference. If its age, there is really no advantage IMHO in aging shou more than 5 years since shou evolves very little as a consequence of the "cooking" process.

Nov 30th, '08, 09:03

by tony shlongini » Nov 30th, '08, 09:03

hop_goblin wrote:Awwhh man, $80 for shu! :shock:
It's worse than that, Hop- it's only a 250g brick. That makes it >$110 per standard sized bing, and it's only eight years old.

If ever there were a tea that should be sampled* first.....

*Yes, this coming from the guy who says a bing is a sample. :lol:

Nov 30th, '08, 09:21

by tony shlongini » Nov 30th, '08, 09:21

hop_goblin wrote:I have a question, why would you pay $80 for shou when you could possibly buy a nice slightly aged sheng beeng for that much. I have tasted high end shou and frankly, it left me thinking what is the difference. If its age, there is really no advantage IMHO in aging shou more than 5 years since shou evolves very little as a consequence of the "cooking" process.
I'll confess to enjoying shu more than the typical pu'er fan. Having said that, there can be no question that sheng is where it's at, so to speak. When I first started down the pu'er path, I found shu to be intruiging, beguiling, and, above all, approachable. It reminded me of a good cup of coffee, and struck me as far better than the typical "black" tea. Having developed a taste for sheng, I find the allure of shu to be fading rapidly. They all taste basically the same, and even the best examples lack the majesty of a good sheng.

If you plopped down $80, you're obviously not afraid to pay for your pleasure, and I'm glad you enjoyed your purchase. You're going to enjoy the other pu'ers you encounter in the future immensely.

Nov 30th, '08, 12:41

by PolyhymnianMuse » Nov 30th, '08, 12:41

tony shlongini wrote:
hop_goblin wrote:I have a question, why would you pay $80 for shou when you could possibly buy a nice slightly aged sheng beeng for that much. I have tasted high end shou and frankly, it left me thinking what is the difference. If its age, there is really no advantage IMHO in aging shou more than 5 years since shou evolves very little as a consequence of the "cooking" process.
I'll confess to enjoying shu more than the typical pu'er fan. Having said that, there can be no question that sheng is where it's at, so to speak. When I first started down the pu'er path, I found shu to be intruiging, beguiling, and, above all, approachable. It reminded me of a good cup of coffee, and struck me as far better than the typical "black" tea. Having developed a taste for sheng, I find the allure of shu to be fading rapidly. They all taste basically the same, and even the best examples lack the majesty of a good sheng.

If you plopped down $80, you're obviously not afraid to pay for your pleasure, and I'm glad you enjoyed your purchase. You're going to enjoy the other pu'ers you encounter in the future immensely.
I have to agree tony. I much prefer sheng but I still drink shu ever now and then. Shu is a nice change of pace but doesnt nearly get to the differences and complexities even a half decent semi-aged sheng can get you. Shu isn't something I would drop a large sum of money on.

Nov 30th, '08, 12:54

by shogun89 » Nov 30th, '08, 12:54

I drink shu alot. its a a nice mix up of things

Nov 30th, '08, 13:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Nov 30th, '08, 13:21

trent wrote:the shu doesn't have even a hint of a wet stored scent or taste. The dry leaves smell like spicy (not sweet) sandalwood followed by dates. Lively would best describe the liqour: one infusion tastes solely of dates, another like a dry and woody forest floor, and yet another like mint. The longevity of the tea leads me to believe that it is high quality... it lasted at least 30 brews. Now, I'm taking a nod from Tibet and boiling the leaves in a kettle to extract the remaining juices.

abx, does this sound similar to your high quality shu?
Mine is more smells of the forest. I do get sandalwood, but the hard part about that is that the store I got it from sells sandalwood sculptures - lots of them - so the whole place smells heavily of sandalwood.

The one I have is made by Qing Feng Xiang(?) (not to be confused with the more popular Feng Qing). This is apparently a cooperative of "the best" puerh producers coming together for special occassions (various celebratory holidays and such) to make tribute cakes. That's about all I could get from Google translator, though I asked someone that could read it and they didn't see much more (I couldn't find my cake). They have a whole line of products.

Nov 30th, '08, 13:34

by heavydoom » Nov 30th, '08, 13:34

cooked strictly for drinking after a greasy meal, fattening cakes and desserts.

+ Post Reply