sheng suds?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Dec 3rd, '08, 14:52

by PolyhymnianMuse » Dec 3rd, '08, 14:52

Vulture wrote:
Dizzwave wrote:
tony shlongini wrote:Next time, try brewing with spring water, instead of beer.
But then how do I get tea drunk?
*slips him some vodka* yes some nice spring water...
That gives me an interesting idea...

I wonder what would happen if I put an amount of tea in a bottle of vodka and let it sit for a couple weeks or months... a good sencha or at least a japanese green sounds like it would be good. I'm not sure what kind of effect the alcohol would have on leeching the flavor though.

Or even better, use matcha, we can have some good old Green Lightning :twisted:

Dec 3rd, '08, 15:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by pb2q » Dec 3rd, '08, 15:13

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:I wonder what would happen if I put an amount of tea in a bottle of vodka and let it sit for a couple weeks or months... a good sencha or at least a japanese green sounds like it would be good. I'm not sure what kind of effect the alcohol would have on leeching the flavor though.
Wow.

I predict this will be either Great or Awful.

or somewhere in between

I'm interested, just use some cheap tea.

Dec 3rd, '08, 17:22

by orguz » Dec 3rd, '08, 17:22

Dec 3rd, '08, 17:31

by PolyhymnianMuse » Dec 3rd, '08, 17:31

Quoted from that link:
Do you think this stuff is hocus-pocus? Guess what, they've banned deer penis for the Olympics. I guess they don't want those athletes having any fun anyway: No condoms at Olympic athletes camp.

Dec 3rd, '08, 18:29

by shogun89 » Dec 3rd, '08, 18:29

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:
Quoted from that link:
Do you think this stuff is hocus-pocus? Guess what, they've banned deer penis for the Olympics. I guess they don't want those athletes having any fun anyway: No condoms at Olympic athletes camp.
LOL :lol:

Dec 3rd, '08, 18:49

by Bubba_tea » Dec 3rd, '08, 18:49

On the teamaster blog, Stéphane cleaned the foam off the top and wiped it off as part of the routine. http://teamasters.blogspot.com/2005/01/ ... sters.html

Dec 3rd, '08, 19:07

by PolyhymnianMuse » Dec 3rd, '08, 19:07

shogun89 wrote:
PolyhymnianMuse wrote:
Quoted from that link:
Seems poor Michael Phelps didn't get any during his trip to china... :roll:

Dec 3rd, '08, 19:45

by shogun89 » Dec 3rd, '08, 19:45

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:
shogun89 wrote:
PolyhymnianMuse wrote:
Quoted from that link:
Seems poor Michael Phelps didn't get any during his trip to china... :roll:
No, You wanna stay away form that "stuff". :roll: :roll: :wink:

Dec 3rd, '08, 21:27

by Janine » Dec 3rd, '08, 21:27

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:
Quoted from that link:
Do you think this stuff is hocus-pocus? .
I WANT TO BELIEVE

(sorry, I just couldn't resist)

Dec 4th, '08, 21:40

by MMaas » Dec 4th, '08, 21:40

PolyhymnianMuse wrote: I wonder what would happen if I put an amount of tea in a bottle of vodka and let it sit for a couple weeks or months... a good sencha or at least a japanese green sounds like it would be good. I'm not sure what kind of effect the alcohol would have on leeching the flavor though.
While I was not brave enough to attempt the hot dog sheng, I did give this a shot not all that long ago by mixing a handful or so of Adagio dragonwell and semi-decent vodka in a glass mason jar. I only let it sit for 2 days, but the resulting brownish liquid was truly Awful. Not sure if it would improve at all with more time, different tea or better vodka, but I suspect that oxidation would do evil things to any green tea used.

-Mucho

Dec 4th, '08, 21:47

by PolyhymnianMuse » Dec 4th, '08, 21:47

MMaas wrote:
PolyhymnianMuse wrote: I wonder what would happen if I put an amount of tea in a bottle of vodka and let it sit for a couple weeks or months... a good sencha or at least a japanese green sounds like it would be good. I'm not sure what kind of effect the alcohol would have on leeching the flavor though.
While I was not brave enough to attempt the hot dog sheng, I did give this a shot not all that long ago by mixing a handful or so of Adagio dragonwell and semi-decent vodka in a glass mason jar. I only let it sit for 2 days, but the resulting brownish liquid was truly Awful. Not sure if it would improve at all with more time, different tea or better vodka, but I suspect that oxidation would do evil things to any green tea used.

-Mucho
Interesting. Does anyone with more of a background in alcohol know anything about this? even a hypothesis? Lately i've been in the "mad-scientist" experimentation state with everything :roll: :P

Dec 10th, '08, 20:05

by Jeremy » Dec 10th, '08, 20:05

Janine wrote:wyardley... thanks for the reference

Someone I respect a lot taught me the bubbles were oils... thanks for the confirmation

for this reason when I rinse I do a quick rinse just covering the tops of the tealeaves... I want those bubbles
Haha I knew you were gonna post on this after our convo. Im still undecided.

Dec 11th, '08, 00:21

by Manatoa » Dec 11th, '08, 00:21

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:
MMaas wrote:

-Mucho
Interesting. Does anyone with more of a background in alcohol know anything about this? even a hypothesis? Lately i've been in the "mad-scientist" experimentation state with everything :roll: :P

You need to use everclear or some other 95% ethanol. It's the water in the vodka (60%) that makes it brown, tannic, and awful. After you make the tea tincture you can add that to regular vodka and drink as a liquer. If you water the everclear-tea mix down to 40% it just isn't as good. Tieguanyin makes a tasty vodka flavouring. Sheng is kind of weird. If you use pellet shaped teas it's usually a good idea to grind them up. Because there's very little water in everclear the tea doesn't hydrate and open. There's no downside since the bitter compounds don't dissolve well.

+ Post Reply