have you ever seen this?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

have you ever seen this?

Postby puerhking » Jan 17th, '09, 17:11

Check out the bottom of the lid. It is two different colors. It appears as if it was sanded down to make it fit better revealing a different color. The area that has been revealed absorbs water much more quickly than the other. Obviously this has some kind of coating or a thin layer of slip. Should I be concerned?

puerhking

Postby shogun89 » Jan 17th, '09, 17:36

I have this on one of my pots as well. I think it is the result of a slip coating getting worn off. Mine dosent seem to absorb water differently . I dont think it is anything to be worried about.
shogun89

Postby hop_goblin » Jan 17th, '09, 19:14

shogun89 wrote:I have this on one of my pots as well. I think it is the result of a slip coating getting worn off. Mine dosent seem to absorb water differently . I dont think it is anything to be worried about.

If it was like this when you first bought the pot it is due to a heat differential during kilning
hop_goblin

Postby shogun89 » Jan 18th, '09, 13:29

I believe I did get it in that condition. Still brews good tea though. :D
shogun89

Re: have you ever seen this?

Postby chrl42 » Jan 18th, '09, 14:43

Not likely. It's common that broken inside turns darker because one factor of Yixing clay's color is iron.

Iron turns red when exposed to oxygen and dark-grey without oxygen.

Better watch out for clay that is in-and-out exact same, and some new clays with different composition from yixing clay as well turns same (Jiang Po ni, Hong Pi Long for example, and Yixing clay with less iron (Duanni, Luni) turns about the same as well).
chrl42

Postby puerhking » Jan 18th, '09, 17:11

Okay thanks for the reassurance. It is a low end YSLLC pot so I wanted to see what you guys thought. It is now conditioned and ready for use. :D
puerhking

Instant Messenger

Permissions