Mini tea cakes

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 29th, '09, 17:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jan 29th, '09, 17:50

Drax wrote: The only true bottom line is the taste....
+ 1

I had some no name mini-tuos a couple years ago that were among the best shu I have tasted ... unfortunately, they aren't available any longer; and the ones I have found since then are not very good.

Jan 29th, '09, 18:38

by Geospearit » Jan 29th, '09, 18:38

Drax wrote: To be fair, rereading the text on the side of that can, the text doesn't claim that the statement actually applies to the tea in the can. Accordingly, they can claim anything they want to, because such things probably do happen somewhere.
lol, I knew I would catch flac for the tin can claims. And yes, they do have the same label on all their "ancient tree" teas.

Anyways, I still wouldn't eliminate the possibility that the entire line is not from plantation teabushes.

Jan 29th, '09, 22:19

Re: Mini tea cakes

by augie » Jan 29th, '09, 22:19

maxman wrote:Anyone use the mini tea cakes?
They are a great value only if you rec'd them as a free sample. Don't buy them.

Feb 7th, '09, 19:12

by maxman » Feb 7th, '09, 19:12

I normally don't drink pu erh at work. Too complex to prepare. Instead I drink PG Tips tea bags. However, the other day I took in one of the mini-cakes I received as a free sample. I brewed it up, using one cup as a "pot" and another cup to drink from. It was really nice to have pu at work in the middle of the work day. It made me feel so much better. I may buy some of those mini cake just to have at work.

Feb 7th, '09, 19:24

by Salsero » Feb 7th, '09, 19:24

maxman wrote: I normally don't drink pu erh at work.
Good to see you, Maxman. Your fish has been a bit scarce in these waters lately. :lol:

Feb 7th, '09, 21:49

by JAS-eTea Guy » Feb 7th, '09, 21:49

Have to agree with idea that taste is the bottom line in this discussion. And, we all have to keep in mind the concept of YMMV!!!

Feb 8th, '09, 16:10

by JP » Feb 8th, '09, 16:10

Geospearit wrote:The ones rishi sells are not so bad... my wife got some REALLY nice ones from Seoul that were shu/sheng. Most of what you see though tastes as cheap as it costs... not worth the effort. But as I said, rishi is not bad at all. You can actually see the full leaves emerge as opposed to a pile of compost looking stuff.
I have a tin of the Rishi Puerh Tou Cha that I picked up at Whole Foods. I can't do any better on my take of it than to agree that is "not so bad." There's a lot of chopped leaf in it, and they don't generate much taste for me. The smell is there, but it is lacking in flavor. I can get about 5 steeps out of one if I give it time.

+ Post Reply