About to taste Pu-erh for the first time ever

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Feb 20th, '09, 10:40

About to taste Pu-erh for the first time ever

by trallis » Feb 20th, '09, 10:40

Hey guys. I'm a lifelong tea drinker, been drinking all types of tea obsessively for a few years, but have one last category of tea I haven't even tried once. Based on the advice that you all unknowingly gave me(and a little bit of guesswork) I ordered two kinds from pu-erh shop, one being cooked and one being green. They came in today and I will be tasting pu-erh for the first time in a few hours. I figured I'd let you all know partially because I want some input, partially so you know I appreciate all of your help so far, and also because I crave attention from strangers.

The first one I will be tasting is 2008 Yuannian Jiancheng Wild Green. Unless advised otherwise, I'll be brewing 4 grams in a 90 ml ceramic gaiwan starting with two rinses followed by a 15 second first steep. Gaiwan to fair pitcher, fair pitcher to one ounce ceramic cups.

Feb 20th, '09, 11:20

by puerhking » Feb 20th, '09, 11:20

I wouldn't rinse twice on sheng or green puerh especially that one as it is on the lighter side. Two rinses on the shu or cooked pu is fine. Sounds like your heading in the right direction on gaiwan size and amount of tea. 15 sec might be too long on the first rinse but you will have to play with that. Enjoy!

Feb 20th, '09, 11:21
Scrolling: scrolling

by bsteele » Feb 20th, '09, 11:21

Wait, wait, wait... brewing it? No way, all the cool kids are just eating the dry leaf these days!

Feb 20th, '09, 15:10

by shogun89 » Feb 20th, '09, 15:10

True that, eating the cake is where its at! :lol:
Seems you picked a nice cake, Havent had it but want it. Since it is a fall harvest it will probably be fairly light. So as mentioned above, do 1 quick rinse, then a 15 second brew will probably be fine. Please tell us how it went.

Feb 21st, '09, 08:10

by augie » Feb 21st, '09, 08:10

bsteele wrote:Wait, wait, wait... brewing it? No way, all the cool kids are just eating the dry leaf these days!
Ok, well, that explains a lot now.

Just do it Trallis! Then tell us how it went. Maybe take a picture or 2.

Feb 21st, '09, 16:40

by trallis » Feb 21st, '09, 16:40

thanks for the input guys. i did it but didn't get around to posting till today. based on advice here, i went with one rinse. it was delicious, and nothing like i expected. i'll be trying the cooked on in a few minutes.

sorry augie.. no camera right now.. maybe ill take some with my webcam this time though and i'll post them if they come out well

+ Post Reply