Yunnan Sourcing sample recommendations

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Mar 20th, '09, 16:28

Yunnan Sourcing sample recommendations

by heatwaves » Mar 20th, '09, 16:28

I'm placing an order to Yunnan Sourcing today and before I pull the trigger, I didn't want to miss out on any "must have" samples to try.

As a regular lurker to this forum, badger & blade and hobbes' blog, I already have a lot of ideas, but I just want to ensure I don't miss out on any diamond in the rough!

Mar 20th, '09, 17:57

by shogun89 » Mar 20th, '09, 17:57

I cant over recommend any Menghai Dayi products. But those are so cheap it makes sense to buy the whole cake. cant really tell you much else.

Mar 20th, '09, 18:48

Re: Yunnan Sourcing sample recommendations

by tony shlongini » Mar 20th, '09, 18:48

heatwaves wrote:As a regular lurker to this forum, badger & blade and hobbes' blog, I already have a lot of ideas, but I just want to ensure I don't miss out on any diamond in the rough!
You should join B&B- you'd fit right in (but someone has already claimed your terrific avatar :lol: ).

I've heard a lot of people complain that YS's samples contain a lot of what we used to pejoratively refer to as "shake" back in the 70's. :roll: (ie: mostly in the shread to dust range) I need a hunk to prepare a cup; further reason I call a bing a sample.

Mar 21st, '09, 03:34

by sp1key » Mar 21st, '09, 03:34

maybe try to get some older/aged pu... those young pu arent ready to be drunk yet

Mar 21st, '09, 04:23

Re: Yunnan Sourcing sample recommendations

by Trioxin » Mar 21st, '09, 04:23

tony shlongini wrote:
heatwaves wrote:As a regular lurker to this forum, badger & blade and hobbes' blog, I already have a lot of ideas, but I just want to ensure I don't miss out on any diamond in the rough!
You should join B&B- you'd fit right in (but someone has already claimed your terrific avatar :lol: ).

I've heard a lot of people complain that YS's samples contain a lot of what we used to pejoratively refer to as "shake" back in the 70's. :roll: (ie: mostly in the shread to dust range) I need a hunk to prepare a cup; further reason I call a bing a sample.
Actually, every sample I've received from YS has been whole chunks or full leaves from the looser cakes. For the most part though, I usually go for the whole bing myself. As far as what to try, you might want to give the Xiaguan FT #6 a go. Very nice for a cheap everyday drinker.

Mar 21st, '09, 08:33

by heavydoom » Mar 21st, '09, 08:33

order samples of pu erh tea from different regions of yunnan province. even different harvest seasons like spring and fall. order samples from well known brands and not so known brands. order some young pu and some older pu. and last but not least, don't order too much pu. it's easy to do this. too easy; and don't fall into the trap of hoarding pu to age them at your home. spend the money on one nicely matured cake instead that you can drink NOW.

Mar 21st, '09, 08:51

by heavydoom » Mar 21st, '09, 08:51

kimble22 wrote:
heavydoom wrote:order samples of pu erh tea from different regions of yunnan province. even different harvest seasons like spring and fall. order samples from well known brands and not so known brands. order some young pu and some older pu. and last but not least, don't order too much pu. it's easy to do this. too easy; and don't fall into the trap of hoarding pu to age them at your home. spend the money on one nicely matured cake instead that you can drink NOW.
Lol so 15-20 "different regions" times 2 "seasons like spring and fall" times 2 "well known brands and not so known brands" times 2 "young pu and some older pu" but "don't order too much pu". AHHH puerh so much to learn... I say throw in some Nadacha '93 7542 if you're really trying to learn; don't make your young to old spectrum 5 years, at least make it 15 years.
why not? samples aren't that expensive. if you order tea from overseas, might as well make a worthwhile order.

Mar 21st, '09, 10:19
Scrolling: scrolling

by silverneedles » Mar 21st, '09, 10:19

as Tony already said: give Badger & blade guy a try (especially that you dont have to wait a month for tea to arrive)

Mar 21st, '09, 14:20

by sp1key » Mar 21st, '09, 14:20

got to agree sampling is a must, try and try and try... look for quality puerh to store

Mar 21st, '09, 16:25

by heatwaves » Mar 21st, '09, 16:25

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone.

As for the "don't purchase too much pu" comment... I already violated that statement years ago. :lol:

I'll post a pic of what I ordered when they arrive in a few weeks. I did end up purchasing mostly full cakes (many of which I had previously tried, Menghai, Yong Pin Hao, Xi Zhi Hao) and some highly recommended tuos (i.e Xiaguan Happy Tuos, and Mushroom Tuo), plus a couple samples as well.

Mar 26th, '09, 15:54

by VinceBLG » Mar 26th, '09, 15:54

I like YS but I'm not a fan of waiting for things to ship from China. My only order from there never showed and now I have to wait another 2 months, depending on how Scott ships it, making it a total of almost 6 months.

I found that besides Puerhshop.com there are a couple of others that stock in the US.

Tchingstore.com and someplace called NorbuTea.com (I think). Also got the feeling that Sevencups ships from the US.
Regards,

Vincent

www.BeanLeafGrape.com

+ Post Reply