2007 Yong Pin Hao teas

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Mar 31st, '09, 17:50
Scrolling: scrolling

2007 Yong Pin Hao teas

by Drax » Mar 31st, '09, 17:50

In my last order from the Puerh Shop, I wanted to try some of the Yong Pin Hao Yi Wu teas. I had a sample from YSLLC that was relatively interesting, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I got this 2007 one as well as this other 2007 "Fall Harvest" one.

My question is -- what's the difference? I'm currently trying the non-Fall one and will try the Fall one tomorrow... but looking at the wrapper, I can only tell that one has a slightly different ink for the tree (and minor differences in the arrangement of characters).

There's nothing that seems to say "Fall Harvest" on the wrapper.

On the underside of the wrappers, there is a date. The non-Fall one has November 12th, while the Fall one has December 9th.

I realize that could be press date.

Any ideas? Anybody know anything about these two versions? I can tell you that the leaves from the non-Fall one had an ever so slightly more red-brown hue.

And of course, when I say "non-Fall," I mean the one that isn't called "Fall Harvest" on the website.

Mar 31st, '09, 21:58

by sp1key » Mar 31st, '09, 21:58

they are still so raw, you must be quite an expert to be able to distinct between them :twisted:
if you want to test it, do it side by side together... instead of one today and the other tomorrow. easier to compare it head to head 8)

Mar 31st, '09, 22:02

by MarshalN » Mar 31st, '09, 22:02

I agree with the side by side thing

Apr 1st, '09, 08:27

by tony shlongini » Apr 1st, '09, 08:27

I liked it. It's rather mild, though, but not bad.

Apr 1st, '09, 21:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Apr 1st, '09, 21:02

tony shlongini wrote:I liked it. It's rather mild, though, but not bad.
Did you mean the "fall harvest" one?

So, I did a side-by-side comparison tonight. Unfortunately, because my scale only measures to the nearest gram, I didn't really end up with an equal amount of tea in each gaiwan. Oh well. It was still interesting.

I did finally notice that one was a "Seven Sons Bing" while the other (the fall harvest one) was marked as a "valley flower bing." Of course it also turns out that apparently that also refers to puerh harvested in the early fall. Aha! I definitely learned a lot this evening...

I inadvertently went lighter on the fall harvest one, and it seemed milder/lighter to me. But at this point, I'm not sure if that's just because of the tea, or the amount I used. If that's the one tony is referring to, then I guess that helps me a bit...

Thanks everybody (:

Apr 2nd, '09, 07:50

by tony shlongini » Apr 2nd, '09, 07:50

I only have the earlier "bottling". I can't imagine the fall version being much different.

I did enjoy the light compression. Dismantling the cake was a snap.

+ Post Reply