Nervous about Pu erh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 15th, '09, 20:33

by shogun89 » Apr 15th, '09, 20:33

Proinsias wrote:
tony shlongini wrote:Nothing to be nervous about, other than receiving an inferior example of the breed. If you enjoy tea, there are myriad selections to keep you happy. If you want to "collect" tea, there is really only one* choice- pu'er.

*With apologies to fans of aged oolong, liu an, and nitpicking.
It's been noted you extend no apology to the fans of liu bao.
Liu Bao has very little difference from shou puerh.

Apr 15th, '09, 21:18

by CutieAgouti » Apr 15th, '09, 21:18

I'm back after trying my first cup of adagio's pu erh!

I used water at 212 degrees (per instruction on the label) for about 4-5 minutes. The smell of the dry leaves was so intense (I have an acute sense of smell) I was worried it was going to deter me from drinking the cup.

I couldn't quite get the taste at first. I never had tea like this before. But now on my second cup I'm noticing more of the nuances that I failed to taste the first time around.

I'm still getting used to it, and I'm not head over heels for it. But I can see myself enjoying pu erh to a greater extent with more exposure.

In addition my first cup was a dark murky brown. The second was nearly black. I can't tell which I steeped properly and wanted to know if pu erh's color should be one or the other or both.

Thanks for all the support!

Apr 15th, '09, 21:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Apr 15th, '09, 21:23

shogun89 wrote:
Proinsias wrote:
tony shlongini wrote:Nothing to be nervous about, other than receiving an inferior example of the breed. If you enjoy tea, there are myriad selections to keep you happy. If you want to "collect" tea, there is really only one* choice- pu'er.

Liu Bao has very little difference from shou puerh.
Are you implying I'm a nitpicker?

Apr 15th, '09, 21:26

by Proinsias » Apr 15th, '09, 21:26

CutieAgouti wrote:I'm back after trying my first cup of adagio's pu erh!

I used water at 212 degrees (per instruction on the label) for about 4-5 minutes. The smell of the dry leaves was so intense (I have an acute sense of smell) I was worried it was going to deter me from drinking the cup.

I couldn't quite get the taste at first. I never had tea like this before. But now on my second cup I'm noticing more of the nuances that I failed to taste the first time around.

I'm still getting used to it, and I'm not head over heels for it. But I can see myself enjoying pu erh to a greater extent with more exposure.

In addition my first cup was a dark murky brown. The second was nearly black. I can't tell which I steeped properly and wanted to know if pu erh's color should be one or the other or both.

Thanks for all the support!
I'd be going for murky brown. But then one person's murky brown is another person's black, the one that tasted better is the one you steeped properly.

Apr 15th, '09, 21:45

by sp1key » Apr 15th, '09, 21:45

are you saying that you steeped it for about 4-5 minutes??
first few infusions should be only a matter of seconds, try that

Apr 15th, '09, 22:12

by CutieAgouti » Apr 15th, '09, 22:12

A few seconds? Really? :shock:

Well I'll do that the next time then, maybe it'll make more sense then.

And teaskeptic, you were right. At first I was confused and then when I was done I was even more confused!

Apr 15th, '09, 22:45

by shogun89 » Apr 15th, '09, 22:45

CutieAgouti wrote:A few seconds? Really? :shock:

Well I'll do that the next time then, maybe it'll make more sense then.

And teaskeptic, you were right. At first I was confused and then when I was done I was even more confused!
Hold on a second, that advice is correct only is you are performing gongfu brewing. For the few seconds to work you need a gaiwan or yixing of about 150 ml. or less and use about 5-7 grams of tea, instead of the usual table spoon. My first couple steeps of a shou puerh are generally the dark brown muddy color then they turn absolute black. Either way is fine, usually the darker the stronger and more complex the brew will be. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your first exposure and I highly recommend you continue research and get some samples of shou and sheng from some other sources. :D

Apr 15th, '09, 23:33

by sp1key » Apr 15th, '09, 23:33

o ya shogun is right, I was assuming you were using a gaiwan/pot or something to brew it without soaking it?

Apr 16th, '09, 00:22

by CutieAgouti » Apr 16th, '09, 00:22

Unfortunately I've had to hold off on using a gaiwan or the gong-fu method (not enough money). I'm just using a plain old teapot for now. But when I do get a gaiwan I'll try using a few grams and see how that goes!

Apr 16th, '09, 08:29

by tony shlongini » Apr 16th, '09, 08:29

Proinsias wrote:

:lol: I thought I covered that when I said nitpicking.

And I thank you again for your generous sample of liu an, which was much appreciated and should also be included in the list of collectables. Thanks!

Apr 16th, '09, 12:46

by Dizzwave » Apr 16th, '09, 12:46

Proinsias wrote:

yeah, and what about fans of Lou Reed??

Apr 16th, '09, 12:50

by Dizzwave » Apr 16th, '09, 12:50

hey Cutie, you can do gong fu in a regular teapot too. Basically it just means using more leaves, with shorter steeps.

With cooked pu, I've been going for lighter colors lately. When I pour a black cup, it's usually a little *too* strong tasting, and all the nice flavors in there get murked. But a nice light brown -- one I can still see through -- and it's not too overpowering, while still maintaining the sweet earthy flavors.
-dave

Apr 16th, '09, 17:47

by edkrueger » Apr 16th, '09, 17:47

CutieAgouti wrote:Unfortunately I've had to hold off on using a gaiwan or the gong-fu method (not enough money). I'm just using a plain old teapot for now. But when I do get a gaiwan I'll try using a few grams and see how that goes!
There is noting too expensive about gong fu at an introductory level. For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/Just-White-Portable ... .m14.l1262

Apr 16th, '09, 20:56

by Proinsias » Apr 16th, '09, 20:56

Dizzwave wrote: yeah, and what about fans of Lou Reed??
Good point, some of his stuff has aged quite well.

Might be time to pick the nits out of my serious hat and try it on for a bit.

Apr 16th, '09, 22:32

by CutieAgouti » Apr 16th, '09, 22:32

Thanks for the link edkrueger!! :D

I'll try out the gong fu when I have the time to "enjoy" it. Right now I'm finishing up a thesis project at school and chugging down tea (the alright stuff) just to keep me going. I'd rather do the gong-fu method when I can relax a bit more, if that makes any sense :roll:

+ Post Reply