How's this shu...

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

How's this shu...

Postby hooksie » Apr 24th, '09, 18:00

Alright, getting ready for my first shu purchase, and I decided to give pu-erh shop a shot this time...

So far, I've accumulated this shopping cart...

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... ucts_id=89
http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=566
http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=781
http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=655

** REMOVED **
http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=551

Total before shipping; ~$24

Five items seems like a good limit.... My objective of this order is the more-so "ready to drink" which from my understanding tends to consist of shu or aged sheng. Seeing as I know very little about either, i figured it would be good to get feedback before proceeding. I'm not looking to get anything for the sake of aging.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Remove something? Add something? Two items too similar?

Give me your wisdom teachat. :mrgreen:

Last edited by hooksie on Apr 25th, '09, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar hooksie
Posts: 257
Joined: Jan 12, '09
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: RI, USA
Contact hooksie:

Postby Proinsias » Apr 24th, '09, 18:49

I can't comment on individual teas but much of TeaChat and beyond is of the opinion that sheng need not be aged to be enjoyed. It might be worth getting a little new sheng as part of an intro pack.

Proinsias
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mar 19, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: On the couch
Contact Proinsias:

Postby shogun89 » Apr 24th, '09, 20:07

Looks pretty good, however I have only had the mini bricks. I must try to convince you to put a few of these in your card. These are much better than the mini bricks without a doubt, just a great tea at a good price.
http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=611

User avatar shogun89
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15, '08
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby Drax » Apr 24th, '09, 20:08

I can't comment much on the individual teas, either... haven't had any of those particular vintages. The Menghai will probably be very good. I will be curious if you can distinguish much between them.

Mini-tuos (or mini-bricks) can be a crap-shoot. If you go w/ this order, I would not make that my first cup. I'd start w/ the Menghai as a solid example, and then test the rest from there :D

User avatar Drax
Posts: 2865
Joined: Oct 16, '08
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Arlington, VA
Contact Drax:

Postby tony shlongini » Apr 24th, '09, 20:38

shogun89 wrote:Looks pretty good, however I have only had the mini bricks. I must try to convince you to put a few of these in your card. These are much better than the mini bricks without a doubt, just a great tea at a good price.
http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=611


Absolutely. This is probably the bargain of Jim's site- 100g for a very decent shu for three bucks is a no brainer.

I'd avoid the mini bricks like the plague.

User avatar tony shlongini
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23, '08
Location: The Isle of Malta

Postby hooksie » Apr 25th, '09, 00:13

Removed the HTC. Not intentionally, but apparently they ran out of stock and it was autodropped from my cart...

Added your suggestion shogun.

Also when you refer to the bricks as being sub-par, you dont mean the 2oz brick as well do you?

And new addition as well to make up for loss of the HTC: http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=521


Proinsias wrote:I can't comment on individual teas but much of TeaChat and beyond is of the opinion that sheng need not be aged to be enjoyed. It might be worth getting a little new sheng as part of an intro pack.


As a matter of fact I already have a cake and a half of sheng, so I'm set in that department. :)

User avatar hooksie
Posts: 257
Joined: Jan 12, '09
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: RI, USA
Contact hooksie:

Postby Drax » Apr 25th, '09, 08:22

Bricks can be fine.

It's the mini-stuff that makes most people curl their toes with frightful expectation....

User avatar Drax
Posts: 2865
Joined: Oct 16, '08
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Arlington, VA
Contact Drax:

Postby tony shlongini » Apr 25th, '09, 18:36

The only ~2oz bricks I've seen are the little Douji credit card sized bricks, and they are sheng. When you're ordering, you won't be receiving a 2oz brick, rather a 2oz sample cut from a larger brick or cake. The mini bricks (or mini tuos) can be frighteningly bad.

For roughly the amount you're looking to spend, I'd get the Nanjian and Changtai tuos, and a cake of the Menghai 7572. This way, you'd have a range of styles to compare, and a pound and a quarter of tea to play around with.

User avatar tony shlongini
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23, '08
Location: The Isle of Malta

Postby Dizzwave » Apr 26th, '09, 13:22

I give the thumbs up for the Dayi Yue Chun Yue Xiang (or whatever it's called)... and -- no beginner shu order from pu-shop is complete without the Changtai Banna tuocha! Definitely pick up one of those, it's probably my favorite tea I've gotten from that shop. (Actually I've bought like 8 of those... yummy stuff.) I haven't tried the others you mention though.

User avatar Dizzwave
Posts: 331
Joined: Feb 27, '08
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Portland, OR
Contact Dizzwave:

Postby hooksie » Apr 26th, '09, 19:03

tony shlongini wrote:The only ~2oz bricks I've seen are the little Douji credit card sized bricks, and they are sheng. When you're ordering, you won't be receiving a 2oz brick, rather a 2oz sample cut from a larger brick or cake. The mini bricks (or mini tuos) can be frighteningly bad.

For roughly the amount you're looking to spend, I'd get the Nanjian and Changtai tuos, and a cake of the Menghai 7572. This way, you'd have a range of styles to compare, and a pound and a quarter of tea to play around with.


http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=326

This is what you are referencing, yes?

User avatar hooksie
Posts: 257
Joined: Jan 12, '09
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: RI, USA
Contact hooksie:

Postby shogun89 » Apr 26th, '09, 19:05

dont get that one. Get the real thing. . .
http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=573
Nothing beats a Menghai shou

User avatar shogun89
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15, '08
Location: Pennsylvania


Postby tony shlongini » Apr 26th, '09, 20:21

hooksie wrote:
tony shlongini wrote:The only ~2oz bricks I've seen are the little Douji credit card sized bricks, and they are sheng. When you're ordering, you won't be receiving a 2oz brick, rather a 2oz sample cut from a larger brick or cake. The mini bricks (or mini tuos) can be frighteningly bad.

For roughly the amount you're looking to spend, I'd get the Nanjian and Changtai tuos, and a cake of the Menghai 7572. This way, you'd have a range of styles to compare, and a pound and a quarter of tea to play around with.


http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=326

This is what you are referencing, yes?


Nope. That's not even made by Menghai Tea Factory. Listen to shogun and get
http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=64_66&products_id=573

User avatar tony shlongini
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23, '08
Location: The Isle of Malta

Postby tony shlongini » Apr 26th, '09, 20:25

I'd also suggest cutting that list in half.
( :shock: I know, this goes against everything you obsessive nuts stand for. :lol: )

Why try so many different versions of an essentially similar tasting product before you're sure you even like it? Besides, you'll feel a bit silly when you realize that sheng is where it's at. :lol:

User avatar tony shlongini
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23, '08
Location: The Isle of Malta

Postby shogun89 » Apr 26th, '09, 20:33

I like the list. Looks like a good variety, you should be happy.

User avatar shogun89
Posts: 1636
Joined: Feb 15, '08
Location: Pennsylvania


Today's Poll



Community

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest