How to Pu?

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 1st, '09, 21:18

by coloradopu » May 1st, '09, 21:18

LOL agreed
when can i expect delivory? :lol:

:o

May 1st, '09, 21:37

by tony shlongini » May 1st, '09, 21:37

coloradopu wrote:LOL agreed
when can i expect delivory? :lol:

:o
Where do you think the expression "a slow boat from China" came from?

May 1st, '09, 21:46

by hop_goblin » May 1st, '09, 21:46

tony shlongini wrote:
hop_goblin wrote:I can see your point. However, I still believe there is a flaw in your logic. I think you are approaching pu-erh like any other tea. The appreciation of young sheng is entirely different as a consequence of its intended purpose, that is, that is is meant to be stored for later consumption. Granted, young sheng can be evaluated for its aromas and taste and perhaps even enjoyed, but the true measure of a young sheng is its durability and qi. For instance, many in Taiwan do not even consider the what nuances in terms of the aromas and taste that a sheng has to offer. Some actually "stress" the tea in order to evaluate how the leaf will react to extreme conditions. Granted, if one is having a bad "tea day", perhaps if it were green or oolong, variances in how it was brewed may affect the overall drinkablitity of the tea . In this respect nuances, aromas, tannins etc may be affected. However, when we are evaluating puerh, nuances, flavors and aromas tend to be secondary. What is important however, is its durability, sensations and qi, none of which can be altered as they are inherent qualities of the leaf itself. This is not to suggests that steeping a young sheng too long will make an insiped brew, of course it will. But from a young sheng appreciation stand point, it should be inconsequential since a potent brew is what want - yet a potent brew that doesn't overly offend the senses. Even an oversteeped brew will say somthing about is durablity and qualities - its color, viscosity, acidity, astrigency etc can all still be evaluated- in fact, this is what the stress test is intended to do. It doesn't take a large number of sessions to determine the strength and durability of a brew. This is my point.

However, as I have already stated, if your intentions are to educate yourself about the nuances found from different mountains then perhaps many infusions is what is in order. But this is different than evaluating the potential aging qualities of young shengpu.
As always, a five star response. Thanks.

I don't want anyone to think that I"m overthinking this, so I'll simplify. When I was a rank newbie and I had samples , I never felt as if I had enough tea. When I accumulated my first half dozen or so cakes, I felt that I had enough raw material to experiment with, compare, and sustain me for a while. It was as simple as that. :lol:
Ok, now I think I know what you are talking about. I see you point. I also had a Voracious appetite for pu as a newbie, and I guess I burned thru a few beengs quickly! So, I can also see your point :D

May 9th, '09, 16:04

by JAS-eTea Guy » May 9th, '09, 16:04

tony shlongini wrote:Make it a three tong rule and you have yourself a deal! :lol:
:lol: :shock: :lol: So, which are the teas that you would like three tongs. I may have to add to the Group Buy order already. 8)
Good tea drinking,
Steve

May 9th, '09, 18:11

by shogun89 » May 9th, '09, 18:11

I like coloradopu's idea. The 3 cake rule. I plan to do this with some 2009 teas this year. I do have a tong of the 2008 Bulang, but I intend to save that for about 10 years.

+ Post Reply