how do you define tea master

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 5th, '09, 19:29

by JAS-eTea Guy » May 5th, '09, 19:29

tony shlongini wrote: Everyone here is a tea master, if for no other reason than we are all the world's leading expert on our own opinion.

Of course, there are different degrees of mastery. :wink:
Too funny! :lol:
Good tea drinking,
Steve

May 5th, '09, 20:45

by shogun89 » May 5th, '09, 20:45

el padre wrote:
shogun89 wrote:Tony is right, Compared to the general public we are defiantly tea masters.
Is it actually possible to agree with someone defiantly? :P
Good call, mess that one up often. Definitely. yes, got it!!

May 6th, '09, 19:05

by JAS-eTea Guy » May 6th, '09, 19:05

el padre wrote:
shogun89 wrote:Tony is right, Compared to the general public we are defiantly tea masters.
Is it actually possible to agree with someone defiantly? :P
Defiant agreement... now that generates some mental images!

:lol: :D :lol:

Cheers,
Steve
Good tea drinking,
Steve

May 11th, '09, 19:56

by Mad Scotsman » May 11th, '09, 19:56

hop_goblin wrote:Well, a good tea master will wear glasses and a stocking cap with a brim. And if he is really a Master Master (they do exsist) he will have a fuzzy beard.
Wow. I had no idea I was so close to mastery. Can you recommend a good brimmed stocking cap supplier?

May 11th, '09, 20:29

by hop_goblin » May 11th, '09, 20:29

Mad Scotsman wrote:
hop_goblin wrote:Well, a good tea master will wear glasses and a stocking cap with a brim. And if he is really a Master Master (they do exsist) he will have a fuzzy beard.
Wow. I had no idea I was so close to mastery. Can you recommend a good brimmed stocking cap supplier?
Indeed grasshoppa... I recommend most army and navy stores.

May 12th, '09, 00:03

by funkmaster nice » May 12th, '09, 00:03

sweet! Master of funk and now tea! All I need to do now is become a DDR master. I believe I will be heading to the local surplus store. :D

May 12th, '09, 04:22

by tatatizia » May 12th, '09, 04:22

Please pay attenction to your words... There are persons in the world (like me and many others) that study very hardly to became a tea master. For example I am a student of Omotesenke school and in Omotesenke school you must study for minimum 14 years, pay a lot of money, wait until the age of 50 years old (because before it's not possible to became master). And for the persons tha don't live in Japan it's all harder than for the others. I understand that you're joking but became a tea master it's really an hard work.
Nothing better than a hot puerh cup outside me and a hot wonderful peace inside me.

May 12th, '09, 06:42

by xuancheng » May 12th, '09, 06:42

tatatizia wrote:Please pay attenction to your words... There are persons in the world (like me and many others) that study very hardly to became a tea master. For example I am a student of Omotesenke school and in Omotesenke school you must study for minimum 14 years, pay a lot of money, wait until the age of 50 years old (because before it's not possible to became master). And for the persons tha don't live in Japan it's all harder than for the others. I understand that you're joking but became a tea master it's really an hard work.
I don't think that anyone here would mock the Japanese tradition of Chadao.

However, in English, the word 'master' is used to translate a variety of Chinese titles (and probably Japanese too, although I wouldn't know.) It is also often used flagrantly and may refer to a person who really is an expert on tea, or it may refer to a guy who bought a bunch of fake pu'er in Guangzhou and peddles it online at http://www.grandexaltedteamasteroftheuniverse.com

I myself have a great respect for the Japanese tea tradition, and would not mock it, but this term 'tea master' in English does not necessarily refer to this tradition; it certainly does not in this context on this forum.

May 12th, '09, 08:48

by coloradopu » May 12th, '09, 08:48

tatatizia Posted: May 12th '09 5:22 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please pay attention to your words... There are persons in the world (like me and many others) that study very hardly to became a tea master. For example I am a student of Omotesenke school and in Omotesenke school you must study for minimum 14 years, pay a lot of money, wait until the age of 50 years old (because before it's not possible to became master). And for the persons that don't live in Japan it's all harder than for the others. I understand that you're joking but became a tea master it's really an hard work.
this is exactly what i was hoping for someone who is going threw this experience right now. please do not feel that you have to defend yourself to people that do not understand what it is that you strive to be. but please do explain more on the subject. from what you said 50 years is the minimum age. by that time what is he average years in the study of the art. 20 30 years?. and please share some of your knowledge with us here so that you might pass on a little to my self who will more than likely not be able to achieve this title. i feel there is a place in society for such a person but i also believe there are a few who have this title that do not deserve it. do you feel the same. i wonder if the ones that have received the title posthumously are the most deserving if they give such a thing. please let us know were you are in your studies and what is to come. :P

May 12th, '09, 09:09

by hop_goblin » May 12th, '09, 09:09

tatatizia wrote:Please pay attenction to your words... There are persons in the world (like me and many others) that study very hardly to became a tea master. For example I am a student of Omotesenke school and in Omotesenke school you must study for minimum 14 years, pay a lot of money, wait until the age of 50 years old (because before it's not possible to became master). And for the persons tha don't live in Japan it's all harder than for the others. I understand that you're joking but became a tea master it's really an hard work.
I didn't mean any offense. However, it was just a joke. This forum is intended for the causual tea drinker / hobbiest so please take this in mind. Btw, do they offer you a degree of some sort?

May 12th, '09, 17:08

by beecrofter » May 12th, '09, 17:08

KISSAKO !

May 12th, '09, 21:53

by Jedi » May 12th, '09, 21:53

In the Chinese traditions of tea-making and drinking (note the use of the plural), I do not believe there to be any type of formal accreditation other than that afforded by one's peers. Of course, there are numerous courses one can take to become more proficient and knowledgable about tea in general, but in terms of becoming a master or 'sifu' in the Chinese sense of the words, the highest recognition comes from the community or peerage.

May 13th, '09, 06:42

by tatatizia » May 13th, '09, 06:42

coloradopu wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please pay attention to your words... There are persons in the world (like me and many others) that study very hardly to became a tea master. For example I am a student of Omotesenke school and in Omotesenke school you must study for minimum 14 years, pay a lot of money, wait until the age of 50 years old (because before it's not possible to became master). And for the persons that don't live in Japan it's all harder than for the others. I understand that you're joking but became a tea master it's really an hard work.
this is exactly what i was hoping for someone who is going threw this experience right now. please do not feel that you have to defend yourself to people that do not understand what it is that you strive to be. but please do explain more on the subject. from what you said 50 years is the minimum age. by that time what is he average years in the study of the art. 20 30 years?. and please share some of your knowledge with us here so that you might pass on a little to my self who will more than likely not be able to achieve this title. i feel there is a place in society for such a person but i also believe there are a few who have this title that do not deserve it. do you feel the same. i wonder if the ones that have received the title posthumously are the most deserving if they give such a thing. please let us know were you are in your studies and what is to come. :P
Thank you all for your kindly words. No, I am not feel that I have to defend myself and I know that this is a forum for casual tea drinkers. I think that you for to be a "casual tea drinkers" know about puerh much more things than me! Unfortunatly I don't know well chinese tea master tradiction. In Omotesenke school you can attend the lessons as an internal student (only japanese men that live inside the school) or as an external student. If yuo are external you privatly study with a tea master inside his private class and is your master that decide when you're ready for complete your level and pass at the next. If I don't do mistakes, in Omotesenke school there are 5 levels in about 14 years of study. The School will give you the title of "Master Omotesenke" when you will have 50 years old but really you will study all your life also after the school.
I'm not an expert and I am not a tea master or teacher , I'm lso a little poor student at the third years!! :roll: :cry: :wink:
Nothing better than a hot puerh cup outside me and a hot wonderful peace inside me.

May 13th, '09, 08:39

by coloradopu » May 13th, '09, 08:39

some people are just the lucky-ist wish i was a poor tea student living at a school and had a tea master that i could bug-alot.

May 13th, '09, 10:35

by hop_goblin » May 13th, '09, 10:35

tatatizia wrote:
coloradopu wrote:

Thank you all for your kindly words. No, I am not feel that I have to defend myself and I know that this is a forum for casual tea drinkers. I think that you for to be a "casual tea drinkers" know about puerh much more things than me! Unfortunatly I don't know well chinese tea master tradiction. In Omotesenke school you can attend the lessons as an internal student (only japanese men that live inside the school) or as an external student. If yuo are external you privatly study with a tea master inside his private class and is your master that decide when you're ready for complete your level and pass at the next. If I don't do mistakes, in Omotesenke school there are 5 levels in about 14 years of study. The School will give you the title of "Master Omotesenke" when you will have 50 years old but really you will study all your life also after the school.
I'm not an expert and I am not a tea master or teacher , I'm lso a little poor student at the third years!! :roll: :cry: :wink:
No such thing as a poor student. You are only a poor studnet with you decide not to learn. :D Congrats!

+ Post Reply