best way to write a tea review

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 7th, '09, 10:16

best way to write a tea review

by coloradopu » May 7th, '09, 10:16

i was asked why i wasn’t reviewing a tea in a thread the other day and i came to the realization that i did not have any methodology for doing it on this particular sight. so i do have ideas but what is the best way to get one done that people here can relate to.
ie: water pot time taste smell

what else should be described to get the sole of the tea down to a tangible point of view.

any suggestions would help please.

May 7th, '09, 10:27

Re: best way to write a tea review

by hop_goblin » May 7th, '09, 10:27

coloradopu wrote:i was asked why i wasn’t reviewing a tea in a thread the other day and i came to the realization that i did not have any methodology for doing it on this particular sight. so i do have ideas but what is the best way to get one done that people here can relate to.
ie: water pot time taste smell

what else should be described to get the sole of the tea down to a tangible point of view.

any suggestions would help please.

Acidity
Aroma
Astringency
Chayun
Clarity
Color
Durability
Flavor
HuiGan
Qi
Quality vs Cost
Viscosity

May 7th, '09, 10:44

by coloradopu » May 7th, '09, 10:44

thanks hop

i want to put it in terms so that even the new guys like me can write one. if you could please define some of the terms
ie : huigan = aftertaste
not all Americans know this but if language i can understand is used then i get a better feel for the tea.
i also think people would be able to describe there experiences better and get there point across allot more often.

May 7th, '09, 16:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by pb2q » May 7th, '09, 16:04

If you haven't seen them already, the Hobbes blog reviews (search for half-dipper) are required reading. They're well written, and he's prolific. However, his reviews do stray from the specifics that you seem to be looking for help with. This only makes them that much more accessible in my opinion. Similarly for Mattcha's reviews. When reading reviews I typically ignore the numbers and look for impressions of the tea being reviewed. Of course, some notes about qi, huigan, leaf quality, and leaf pics are useful.

May 7th, '09, 17:51

by tony shlongini » May 7th, '09, 17:51

pb2q wrote:If you haven't seen them already, the Hobbes blog reviews (search for half-dipper) are required reading.
Who?
Doesn't he have like 2 posts here? :lol:

May 7th, '09, 20:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » May 7th, '09, 20:50

Toki's blog might be worth a look.

He's been opting for a more methodical approach recently.

Personally I don't care for a specific format to approach tea. Mention the variables you feel necessary for each review. [/quote]

+ Post Reply