Yiwu and Nan Nuo

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 13th, '09, 11:58

Yiwu and Nan Nuo

by Art Vandelay » May 13th, '09, 11:58

Has anyone tried the 2000 Yong Pin Hao "Yi Wu Zheng Shan" from YS? Was it reflective of a ten year old beeng?

Also, I am looking for cakes that are great examples of Yiwu and Nan Nuo but even the higher priced offerings from Hou De seem to get mixed reviews at best. Any recommendations on cakes that really showcase what Yiwu and Nan Nuo are supposed to taste like would be very helpful. Thanks.

May 13th, '09, 17:33
Vendor Member

Re: Yiwu and Nan Nuo

by TIM » May 13th, '09, 17:33

Art Vandelay wrote:Has anyone tried the 2000 Yong Pin Hao "Yi Wu Zheng Shan" from YS? Was it reflective of a ten year old beeng?

Also, I am looking for cakes that are great examples of Yiwu and Nan Nuo but even the higher priced offerings from Hou De seem to get mixed reviews at best. Any recommendations on cakes that really showcase what Yiwu and Nan Nuo are supposed to taste like would be very helpful. Thanks.
Just curious, why did you pick these 2 area?

May 13th, '09, 18:55

by thanks » May 13th, '09, 18:55

I don't speak as an authority on the subject, but I've had a lot of teas that claim to have Nannuo leaf and they all carry a pretty distinct floral sweetness about them. Most "entirely" Nannuo teas I've had were pretty mild, save for one. The tea is the 2005 Hai Lang Hao Ba Ma Gong Chun available here; http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-Hai-Lang-Hao-B ... 1|294%3A30

To me it's like drinking concentrated Nannuo tea. Definitely contains all of the attributes I've come to associate with what I've been told is Nannuo tea.

As far as Yiwu goes, it's a famous mountain, and like Lao Banzhang who knows what's really Yiwu and what's not besides the people closest to the source. I've had plenty of "Yiwu" teas, but unfortunately they all haven't shared the same characteristics. Unless the leaf is of extremely reputable vendors or sources, it's not to be fully trusted.

May 13th, '09, 20:17

by tony shlongini » May 13th, '09, 20:17

TIM wrote:Just curious, why did you pick these 2 area?
Why not? They're two pretty good appellations.

True, you could just as well choose two entirely different areas, but these aren't a bad place to start.

Scott of YS speaks highly of the Yongpinhao Yiwu, and his despriptions are usually honest, even if they don't exactly match your palate. I have only tried their newer Yiwu Zhengshan and their stone pressed Yiwu that Hobbes refers to as "Lingbo Qingdai", the latter of which was very nice.

May 13th, '09, 21:02

by Art Vandelay » May 13th, '09, 21:02

I picked these two areas because I don't have much experience with pu's from these two. I have only sampled one Yiwu (1999 Large-"Chung" Dual Nei-Fei Huan-yin yellow label from Houde) and I have never tasted a Nannuo.

I would like to educate my palate on what each region should taste like, or get as close as I can. Hopefully this will make me a more educated consumer and for the past year I have pretty much avoided the "buy everything" phase. I definitely favor quality over quantity but there is so much deviation even within the higher priced offerings.

I didn't realize that Yiwu suffered from the same rampant mislabeling problem as Lao Banzhang. As we don't all have access to tea masters or good teachers I rely on reading this forum, many of your blogs, and other reviews to make an educated decision on samples/beengs I consider purchasing. Thanks' suggestion was exactly what I am looking for, just some of you experienced folk to say "(insert sheng) this is a solid Yiwu that I think reflects characteristics of what it should taste like and you might want to give it a try".
Of course you don't have to say it exactly like that :D

I did read the description on YS but I tend not to trust vendor talk, after all, they are trying to sell it. Tony, did you not like the newer Zheng Shan?

Thanks for the help

May 13th, '09, 22:54

by tony shlongini » May 13th, '09, 22:54

The Yiwu Zheng Shan I tried was from '07, and it was very light. A good, inoffensive beginner's tea, but not much going on.
Last edited by tony shlongini on May 19th, '09, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.

May 14th, '09, 12:32
Vendor Member

by TIM » May 14th, '09, 12:32

Art Vandelay wrote:I picked these two areas because I don't have much experience with pu's from these two....Thanks for the help
Hi Art Vandelay. These are the 2 areas which I started my Yunnan journey 4 yrs ago... the reason I ask why you picked these area, is because I also started learning puerh from Yiwu and Nannuo. Someone told me if I could understand the different between the 2 characters and its aging properties, I am half way to be a educated collector. Sort of learning the difference between a Pinot Noir and a Cabernet Sauvignon. Once you cover these 2, the rest of the famous mountains will come easy. I just pm you about my recommendation. :wink:

May 19th, '09, 06:24

by JAS-eTea Guy » May 19th, '09, 06:24

Art Vandelay wrote:Has anyone tried the 2000 Yong Pin Hao "Yi Wu Zheng Shan" from YS? Was it reflective of a ten year old beeng?

Have been wondering that myself. So, I have some on the way from China. I'll let you know.
Good tea drinking,
Steve

May 19th, '09, 13:34

by nonc_ron » May 19th, '09, 13:34

Hello Everyone,
Today I received an eBay store-newsletter from Yunnan Colorful.
At the bottom of the page were two 2004 and two 2005 Raw Pu-erh cakes.
Just when I was looking for something I could drink NOW.
Yunnan Colorful is not much on words and You have to relie on the pictures.
Much like my reading of magazines. Anyway I need opinions on what to buy.
Two are Yiwu that got me to this Topic and two are Old Tree,
Any help would be appreciated.

2004 Yunnan Menghai"Old tree"Raw pu-erh Tea,357g

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1&emailtem
plateid=12840745&sellerid=RiQT1QfV9O0smukrS4h9RQ==&buyerid=FpRekKD1aqBc0boaLk6CS
Q==&refid=store&ssPageName=ADME:B:SEMK:US:LISTG

2004 Yunnan"Yiwu Arbor Old Tree"Raw pu-erh Tea,400g

plateid=12840745&sellerid=RiQT1QfV9O0smukrS4h9RQ==&buyerid=FpRekKD1aqBc0boaLk6CS

2005 Yunnan"Yiwu Arbor Big Leaf "Raw pu-erh Tea,400g

2005 Yunnan"Simao Puer'h Tea"Raw pu-erh Tea,357g

+ Post Reply