Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Feb 17th, '11, 01:47

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by ninazephyr » Feb 17th, '11, 01:47

How long have you been drinking tea?
For about 6 years on my own now but only just recently loose leaf - when I started working at a tea house/cafe. I've been having some of my Mom's tea since I was little and she drinks nothing but iced Ceylon.

What was your first Tea?
Iced ceylon

What is your favorite Tea currently?
Foxtrot, but it changes often. I drank nothing but dragonwell over the Summer.

What is your next purchase?
Who knows! Probably Yunnan Noir...

Where is your favorite spot to brew up?
At home... two cups the same for me and my SO.

Feb 17th, '11, 18:12

by bryan_drinks_tea » Feb 17th, '11, 18:12

TIM wrote:

What was your first Tea?
------------------------------------------------
I started drinking tea in 2006, I got serious about it a few months later in 2007.
My first tea was an english breakfast blend. brewed it too hard.
right now it's the lao tai di oolong from norbu. sencha is my all time fave.
my next purchase will either be some shincha or a yixing.
my favorite spot to brew is my spare bedroom, on the floor with my little chinese tea table. I could sit there for hours, if it wasn't for work. :P

Feb 17th, '11, 18:35
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Feb 17th, '11, 18:35

ninazephyr wrote:What is your next purchase?
Who knows! Probably Yunnan Noir...
Stick a little Fujian Baroque in that order, it's divine.

Feb 26th, '11, 16:50

by wolfsaber » Feb 26th, '11, 16:50

I just started a few months ago.

What was your first Tea?
It was some green tea that I don't remember the name.

Matcha

Kiri no Mori Uji Matcha, if I have the money and being back home

My only choice is my current residence.

Feb 27th, '11, 17:19

by JenO » Feb 27th, '11, 17:19

Hi there...nice, fresh noob introducing herself here...

off and on since college 20 years ago

What was your first Tea?
my first tea explains why I didn't try tea again to college--some horrid instant iced tea my older sister preferred. It looked like it might be tasty, but my 5 year old self did not agree. My first 'real' tea was some loose black tea given to me by my college roommate's Irish mother who insisted I learn to brew a "proper" pot of tea (Thanks, Agnes!)

Before this afternoon, I was rotating between a Yunnan I'd ordered from Rishi and a sencha. But I just had my first oolong (a Winter High Mountain Alishan) this afternoon and I think I'm in love.

I think I'm about to spend a lot of time exploring oolongs...

At home...either at my kitchen counter watching the birds outside, or curled up on my couch.

Mar 1st, '11, 01:17

by greentam » Mar 1st, '11, 01:17

I've been drinking tea for about nine years now.

What was your first Tea?
My first tea was some kind of peppermint. I was raised LDS (no tea/coffee) so my first time was pretty secretive!

Right now it's any kind of chai tea!

I'd really love a nice teapot! And some more teas to try, I want a really wide range.

Sitting in my spare room (my meditation room) in my huge comfy chair.

Mar 3rd, '11, 01:54

by BlackRoses » Mar 3rd, '11, 01:54

HI all I'm BlackRoses

I have slowly been falling in love with Tea... I am only now joining the ranks of Chinese Tea lovers though.

Since I was very little. My great-grandmother let me have real tea for a little girl's Tea Party with my toys.
What was your first Tea?
Red Rose brand, but with enough sugar it was drinkable. Soon followed by herbals that had milk and honey added to help with "illnesses" and sleeplessness.
I think I'm drinking a Raw Pu` er from 2005, but I can't read Chinese.
I haven't decided yet, I still have 2 more 100g cakes of this lovely tea, plus dried roses, honeysuckle flowers, Laurel blossoms, lavender, and chrysanthimums for the occassional mix-in.

I like a couple of the Tea Shops/Houses in my area, but I like to brew tea at home, curl-up on the couch with my dog and sip a pot or two after turning off my phone and my human-family are out.

Mar 17th, '11, 02:33

by tea-awed » Mar 17th, '11, 02:33

Hello. My name is Theodore and I am an addict.
A tea addict that is :)
My addiction started when I was 16 and from the very first dose. That dose was a pot of Sui Xian at a small family restaurant in China Town NYC.
While I lived in the US I was able to get very good tea but when I moved to Greece that changed. Greece is coffee country and untill recently good tea was impossible to find. For years I had to get by on Lipton and an occasional care package from the US.
A few years ago I learned that a tea shop had opened in Thessalonika. I went as soon as I could(a 5 hour trip from my remote corner) and an old love was rekindled. Now with the internet things are even better :D
I have been hanging around TeaChat for a little while now. I am here just about everyday now just enjoying to be in the company of people that love tea. Here in Greece if you ask someone if they would like a cup of tea the typical response is"why do I look sick?". So not much tea chat going on here.
I'm glad to have found TeaChat :D

Mar 17th, '11, 03:47

by tea-awed » Mar 17th, '11, 03:47

Hmm I've just noticed that I left a few questions unanswered.
I can't say that I have a favorite tea but I do have a "thing" for Yunnan teas in general. The whole range red,green,white,puerh and even the oolongs I've tried. I still after so many years have a special fondness for Shui Xian and darker oolongs in general.
I'm pretty well stocked at the moment so my next tea purchase will probably be just some puerh samples. I'll be ordering some tea ware and the sample will make the shipping cost a little more worthwhile.
My favorite place to drink tea is on the balcony overlooking the garden in the Summer and in front of the fireplace in the Winter. Most of the time it's just at the kitchen table which is fine as long as the tea is good :)

Mar 17th, '11, 22:44

by Chasm » Mar 17th, '11, 22:44

tea-awed wrote:Here in Greece if you ask someone if they would like a cup of tea the typical response is"why do I look sick?". So not much tea chat going on here.
Wow, sounds a bit lonely as far as tea goes. I'm glad you're here.

Mar 18th, '11, 02:24

by tea-awed » Mar 18th, '11, 02:24

Chasm wrote:
tea-awed wrote:Here in Greece if you ask someone if they would like a cup of tea the typical response is"why do I look sick?". So not much tea chat going on here.
Wow, sounds a bit lonely as far as tea goes. I'm glad you're here.
Thanks a lot. Yeah it is but sometimes there is a funny side. One day a friend came while I was making puerh with a 100ml tea pot. He started laughing and said that his sister has the same teapot in her doll house. That was a standing joke for a while :) Any tea made in a gaiwan is " Jackie Chan tea" coz gaiwans are only seen in kung fu movies :)

Mar 19th, '11, 10:04

by Chasm » Mar 19th, '11, 10:04

Funny! I actually do use a doll's teapot. I wanted a very small glazed porcelain teapot, and found this one that holds about 60 ml, flat filter, pours well, solid glaze. I lead-tested it to be sure.

Mar 19th, '11, 14:04

by tea-awed » Mar 19th, '11, 14:04

Now there's a solution! I've been wanting a smaller one for a long time but haven't been able to find anything smaller than 100ml.
Now which little girl's doll house shall I raid? :twisted:

Mar 22nd, '11, 20:00

by Chasm » Mar 22nd, '11, 20:00

Oops, I was wrong, it's more like 70ml. I have another glazed porcelain in the same size, celadon green and shaped like an elephant. Also pours well and fast, lead tested, but doesn't have the nice lid fit the blue one does.

The blue doll's pot is made for dolls around 16 inches in height -- you want a "doll's tea set" not a "dollhouse tea set" which would not have a usable teapot.

It's a crapshoot, though, on safety of the glaze and quality of the ware. I've never seen a doll's teapot as good as my blue one.

May 6th, '11, 11:07

by naivemonarch » May 6th, '11, 11:07

Also there in Slovakia we know about good tea!

Really I do not know when I was drink my first tea bag but It must been very long time ago! I start with drinking loose leaf tea about 4 or 5 years ago but sometimes when is time too short I like tea bags (usually I prefer tea bags with black tea and English tea blends).

What was your first Tea?
My first loose leaf tea certainly was very bad Ceylon tea. But then in that time it was great start.

Currently I drink much Japanese greens (mostly sencha, kuki and gyo) and Darjeeling teas.

Today I am very interested in the sampler tea of Dan Cong 2011 so I think that some Dan Cong could be the good tea for my next purchase :)

Everywhere at home with good music and good atmosphere.

Have a nice day! :)
Tomas

+ Post Reply