Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Apr 1st, '16, 17:22

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by GooseberrySpoon » Apr 1st, '16, 17:22

What was your first Tea?
Iced tea probably Lipton. Most likely the instant tea granules. My grandmother would make me hot tea, probably also Lipton. And later when I was in high school and getting into Asian food I started my foray into loose leaf.

What is your favorite Tea currently?

I really like a variety, but I rarely go very long without jasmine dragon pearls, a Japanese green, my homemade masala chai, or a black that ices well.

What is your next purchase?
I will probably hit up Tea Source while I'm visiting the TC and get some stuff there. I've been interested in getting some black pearls, but I'm hoping the staff will be able to help me choose some more stuff to try.

Where is your favorite spot to brew up?

The couch, with my cat, and ST: TNG on.

May 14th, '16, 13:57

by Assamsin » May 14th, '16, 13:57

How long have you been drinking tea?
Probably from 3 or 4 years -- it's pretty traditional in my country. For "serious" -- about year or so.

What was your first Tea?
I was to young to remember. :-) Probably "Princess Nuri", Indian black tea blend, that was popular on that time

Assam Mokalbari Gold, but like different types of Assam, Darjeeling.

Probably some oolong, to start explore Chinese tea world. Am absolutely new with it, so will be glad to get any advices.

Couch with book, or working table, with some interesting issue to solve.

May 17th, '16, 19:19

by daidokorocha » May 17th, '16, 19:19

Welcome. There is a lot of tea to explore past the Indian teas! Please stick around and share your experiences with us. Don't be afraid to seek out advice in the main forums.

Aug 6th, '16, 15:02

by nocturne » Aug 6th, '16, 15:02

This is an interesting question, as tea is a fairly commonplace part of my culture. I would say my first personal and deliberate experience was probably a little over half a year ago.

What was your first Tea?
In all likely hood, TGY or the Chrysanthemum stuff they have for children would be a good guess, hahaha.

I had a Dancong for the first time recently! And I found that I really enjoyed it, so now I am curious about them.

Well, like I said above... I would like to try more Dancong teas. ( > w < )

My desk (be it at work or at home).

Sep 6th, '16, 11:42

by doudou » Sep 6th, '16, 11:42

Since I can remember, tea is always served when my parents took me to visit other people. I never liked it when I was little. I started drinking tea seriously last year when I gave up coffee and soft drinks.

What was your first Tea?
No idea, I assume some over brewed green tea. When I seriously started drinking tea last year, my first tea was a very fragrant jasmine dragon pearl green tea.

I recently discovered Phoenix Dacong that my parents bought back from China. It is absolutely delicious. In fact I love it so much that I purchased a Chaozhou teapot to brew it in. However I enjoy variety in my tea, so I am also drinking a jasmine green tea, a couple of other oolongs and chai on regular basis.

I have two Taiwanese Ali Mountain Oolongs I look forward to trying and I also have a few white and green tea I haven't opened yet.

In my office in the morning. And then on the weekends at home on coffee table, I drink tea while I watch TV, read books or surf online.

Sep 10th, '16, 14:02

by Commandaria » Sep 10th, '16, 14:02

That is such a difficult question. As a Canadian born Taiwanese tea has been intrinsic to my identity. I brew up at least once a day! But my earliest memory of drinking tea was when I went back during summer vacation when I was but a wee toddler and my uncle allowed me to join his tea session with my own very little tea cup and I got to nibble on rick crackers. On a side note, I exclusively drink only Taiwanese oolongs. Please convince me if I am being silly.

What was your first Tea?

This is also hard to say. If I were to guess, it was probability a tea at a chinese restaurant.

I just opened a pack of gaoshan tea from alishan that I found lying around in my house. I had finished all of my favorite teas so I was bummed out and had to resort to teavana (I used my gold stars to get samples). Lo and behold, I found a bag of alishan on my second search and it was beautify. hand picked. Strong jasmine like taste. Very floral. Been having two to three pots ever since!

My aunt just went back to taiwan and I asked her to pick me up a fall or winter lishan so i am excited. On a side note I have been on a ever constant search for a new tea cup. I read on this site about lin's ceramics. Any other suggestions?

Everywhere and anywhere.

(insert my own question)
Why did you join this site?

As much as I love tea, my knowledge behind it is quite flimsy. Its pretty much based on elementary research and taste preference. I would love to understand the more inner workings of oolong. I will be posting quite a bit, i hope people do not mind and will help me learn more. Also I hope to work at a tea farm my friends parents own in taiwan even though they say it is very hard work.
Please educate this woefully ignorant teadrinker

Sep 11th, '16, 13:08

by debunix » Sep 11th, '16, 13:08

Commandaria wrote:On a side note I have been on a ever constant search for a new tea cup. I read on this site about lin's ceramics. Any other suggestions?
Check out the Teaware Artisans forum for lots of suggestions.

Sep 12th, '16, 12:04

by EGilbert » Sep 12th, '16, 12:04

Hi all! This is the first post to the forum. I'm very excited to get involved, and hopefully make some friends with some of you!

I've been drinking tea for most of my life, but only started to get interested in it six years ago. I've been seriously interested in tea for about four years now.

What was your first Tea?

I can't remember my first tea, but my first memorable tea was at David's Tea, six years ago. It was a chocolate chilli chai tea. To be honest, I thought it was disgusting. I found out quickly that I don't like chocolate and spice together. But being introduced to loose leaf was obviously one of the most important first steps to getting interested in tea. My first good tea was at a tea course I took in Toronto. It was a nice bai hao yin zen.

Currently I am a fan of the Seiju matcha from Green Tea Japan. I've always liked Japanese greens the best, but have never really got into them enough, so I'm finally exploring them more. I've also just ordered a teapot made by the artist Gyokko, working from the Tokonome kiln, and am picking it up today so I'll be excited to make some sencha using it.

I just ordered samples of various puerhs from Yunnan Sourcing, so I'll be working through those for a while. I'm beginning to study the Urasenke school or tea ceremony, so my next purchase might be some fabrics I need to make some of what I need, or a book.

I'm currently stuck in the city for school and work, so I can't get into nature at all. I'm also fairly isolated at the moment from fellow tea people, so my favourite spot to brew tea right now is at my desk. I have cleared a spot for my tea tray there. Though, I like to drink matcha on the ground, so that's a close favourite spot as well.

Oct 13th, '16, 14:16
Adagio
Scrolling: scrolling

by Emily@Adagio » Oct 13th, '16, 14:16

My whole life! I can't think of a time when I haven't been/wasn't a tea drinker.
What was your first Tea?
This is going to sound so silly, but the first tea I remember was actually imaginary. When I was a little kid, I had a tea set that changed color when you put cold water into the cups. The white cups would turn pink to look like they had an herbal tea in them. So, that's my first tea-drinking memory. Imaginary pink tea. LOL
My favorite tea currently is probably matcha. I became really interested in Matcha about a year ago and I'm still learning about it, but I love the flavor, the texture, and the clean energy kick it gives me.
I just purchased the Earl Grey Moonlight, the Berry Blues, and the Pumpkin Spice from Adagio yesterday!
I definitely love to make a cup of tea at home and sit with a good book. I especially enjoy when it's cold and rainy outside and I can curl up with a good cup of tea on the couch.

Oct 13th, '16, 14:46
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Oct 13th, '16, 14:46

Hi Emily! Welcome to TeaChat! I'm raising my imaginary pink teacup to you :mrgreen:

Oct 13th, '16, 14:47
Adagio
Scrolling: scrolling

by Emily@Adagio » Oct 13th, '16, 14:47

jayinhk wrote:Hi Emily! Welcome to TeaChat! I'm raising my imaginary pink teacup to you :mrgreen:
Why thank you! :D :!:

Oct 18th, '16, 11:27

by Tanta » Oct 18th, '16, 11:27

Hi, I'm John. I'm a real tea noob, but I aim to be a boss – in time! Figure this is a great place to start.

I've been drinking tea all my life, though I was first exposed to loose tea about 9 months ago.

What was your first Tea?
The Golden Monkey Superior was the first loose tea I tasted. It's black, not sure where it's grown.. I bought it from a local tea shop. I think it tastes like eating breakfast on a leather couch in front of a big window while the sun rises.

My favorite tea is actually the GMS. I can't act like I know anything about it, I just like that it's satisfying every time I take a sip.

Not sure. There's a whole world of opportunity out there, lol! I'm mainly perusing through the comments here to find what sounds good.

My kitchen. Utility wise it's hard to beat. Eventually I'd like to buy a nice infuser & steep in my room :mrgreen:

Dec 7th, '16, 14:22

by TwoPynts » Dec 7th, '16, 14:22

I haven't posted in years, but dropped in to say hello. How are ya'll doin? :)

I started drinking tea 'seriously' in the early 2000s.

What was your first Tea?
Probably something from a grocery store. I discovered tea with oolong in the late 1980s.

I still like many teas, but my daily drinker is black tea. Yunnan Golden Curls when I can afford them. Irish breakfast is a staple.

Looking for a good dark oolong or similarly rich black tea.

I have a matcha maker at home, but normally brew up at work.

Dec 7th, '16, 14:43

by victoria3 » Dec 7th, '16, 14:43

TwoPynts wrote:I haven't posted in years, but dropped in to say hello. How are ya'll doin? :)

What was your first Tea?
Probably something from a grocery store. I discovered tea with oolong in the late 1980s.

I still like many teas, but my daily drinker is black tea. Yunnan Golden Curls when I can afford them. Irish breakfast is a staple.

Welcome back to Teachat. Here on Teachat we've recently been connected directly with a farmer in Taiwan that makes excellent roasted oolongs; Medium Roasted DongDing, Charcol Roasted DaYuLin & an everyday Roasted High Mountain. You can contact him directly via Facebook at; 薪誠坊/百年茶園/凍頂烏龍專賣店 and message him for ordering. His name is Hua Yin Chen, company name "薪誠坊" Shin Cheng fang. Otherwise jayinhk may be able to hook you up with some other dark oolongs etc.

Dec 7th, '16, 17:02

by TwoPynts » Dec 7th, '16, 17:02

Thanks Victoria! :)
victoria3 wrote:
TwoPynts wrote:I haven't posted in years, but dropped in to say hello. How are ya'll doin? :)

What was your first Tea?

Welcome back to Teachat. Here on Teachat we've recently been connected directly with a farmer in Taiwan that makes excellent roasted oolongs; Medium Roasted DongDing, Charcol Roasted DaYuLin & an everyday Roasted High Mountain. You can contact him directly via Facebook at; 薪誠坊/百年茶園/凍頂烏龍專賣店 and message him for ordering. His name is Hua Yin Chen, company name "薪誠坊" Shin Cheng fang. Otherwise jayinhk may be able to hook you up with some other dark oolongs etc.

+ Post Reply