Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

May 24th, '12, 07:19

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by minor_glitch » May 24th, '12, 07:19

Hello Everyone! This is my first post, so I suppose I should introduce myself. I'm Paul. I live in Toronto, Ontario Canada. I've been lurking this forum for the last year, so I really have no idea why it took me so long to join!
Anyhow, to the questions...

How long have you been drinking tea? Well I'm 26 now...so 23, 24 years?

What was your first Tea? It must have been some kind of generic Lipton Orange Pekoe teabag.

What is your favorite Tea currently? Definitely this year's YM shincha from O-cha. I obviously can't post a review since I'm a new member, but...YUM! It was actually my first shincha.

What is your next purchase? I just placed an order for a nice little kyusu and some Tokujo Kamairicha and Sayamamidori from Yuuki-cha.

Where is your favorite spot to brew up? In my bachelor apartment/recording studio before and after a long day working tech support for a cable company.

Well, that's my little introduction. I owe this forum a big thanks for the crazy amount of knowledge it has provided!

Oh, and I'm also a bit of a shutterbug so you can count on me to contribute a bunch of photos to the forum.

Aug 28th, '12, 20:07

by Morgana » Aug 28th, '12, 20:07

I have been drinking tea steadily for about...oh...six years.
My first tea was Red Rose.
I am a big fan of Hedley's Earl Grey.
My next purchase is:
Mortar/Pestel, 1lb Chamomile, 1lb Irish Breakfast, 1lb Lemon Balm, and tea bags.
I enjoy brewing in any clean kitchen.

Sep 11th, '12, 14:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Devoted135 » Sep 11th, '12, 14:37

Hi everyone! I discovered Adagio recently and was hoping to also find just this sort of forum. :D I've been lurking for a few days, and decided that I may as well register.

So, the questions:
How long have you been drinking tea?
My mom used to make me tea when I was sick, but I started drinking tea for my own enjoyment in high school (over ten years ago now). I'd say I've gotten much more serious about in in the past year though.
What was your first Tea?
I'm sure it was some form of Lipton black tea.
What is your favorite Tea currently?
Such a hard question because I like drinking many types of tea! I did just get the Moriartea blend from adagio, and it's one of my favorite chais that I've ever had.
What is your next purchase?
Probably some more blends from Adagio. Or some more Rooibos Chai from Teavana if I run through my stock of that first.
Where is your favorite spot to brew up?
In the back of my kitchen, at my "tea station." I usually drink it on my couch, under a blanket, with a good book. :D

Oct 31st, '12, 13:28

by xdunlapx » Oct 31st, '12, 13:28

- I started drinking tea mid-2010 but stopped not long after. I think I burned myself out of chai (bagged) b/c at that time I was drinking it non stop and without cream or milk. At that point I hadn't found a single estate tea that I enjoyed. But I think my tastes have changed since then.

What was your first Tea?
- Celestial Seasons bagged India Spice tea

-That's a hard question. I only have 5 teas currently, 3 of them are loose leaf. They are all flavored except for the Irish Breakfast (bagged) tea I have. I really enjoy Irish Breakfast with cream and splenda. I use too much cream though so I will be working on using less and less each day.

-Hopefully a dark oolong but I have to find out which oolongs are darker and sweeter. I may buy a glass tea cup/infuser combo. I've always wanted a clear glass cup/mug.

-at home. I have never ordered hot tea (or iced) at a restaurant. I've tasted iced tea at a restaurant and hated it. I tried chai iced and hated it. I think hot tea is favorable even in summer since we have air conditioning.

Tea to me is relaxing and very enjoyable. I feel better after drinking tea. I know it got rid of my headaches yesterday. I think the tea's antioxidants helps my chronic pain it seems. I don't know if it really does but it seems that way. I can't believe it took so long for me to discover tea! I did briefly try masala chai and chamomile tea in 2004 and loved the chai but hated the chamomile. I might buy some chamomile (sample) and see if I still hate it. It tasted like hay and grass boiled together. Yuck! Very bitter. I've avoided tisanes since. LOL

I'm trying to grow my tea vocabulary. Loose leaf (and tea in general) is a new thing that I'm enjoying. I did buy the ingenuiTEA 2 years ago and am so glad I have it now. I tried the Minit bags with the stick and it failed miseraby. Tea spilled into my cup so I had to strain it. The only way I had to strain it was to pour my infused tea into the ingenuity and then back into the cup. haha It's a great device.

I was shopping for a tetsubin pot (cast iron) but people here have suggested against it. I may end up buying a porcelain teapot at some point or ask for one for Christmas. I will be asking for a Darjeeling for christmas but have no idea which one I want to try. I know they are expensive so I would only ask for a sample or the smallest weight they offer.

Nov 16th, '12, 04:16

by connieddunn » Nov 16th, '12, 04:16

Well if you count my youth, it started a very, very, very, long time ago. If you refer to traditional loose leaf, mid to high quality "serious tea realm" drinking, I've been brewing cups for about 20 years.

What was your first Tea?
Again we look at the distinction of the Lipton tea culture I was raised with, making products such as granulated iced tea mixes, which were very popular for my family growing up. So I basically knew of the benefits of tea from long ago. It's interesting to note that I've always been this person who enjoyed tea and gave tea parties from this beautiful peach colored set, whose memory I still enjoy.

Hard to say because my tastes deeply vary, but when I have dinner at Tea Station, I drink multiple infusions of pouchong and milk oolong teas. I've purchased some rather droll utilitarian loose leaf formosa oolong, 8 oz. for about 2 and a half bucks. I actually love the plainness of it.

I have two target purchases to make. I would like a good quality milk oolong, and a full leaf gyokuro sencha. Some say that the brand I have, has broken leaves, not as poor as being given tea fannings, but still usable and tasty leaves.

I'm now in a new relationship with a restaurant named Tea Station. They serve tea often too strong, but you only have to ask them to keep the water coming.

Nov 19th, '12, 15:12

by MountainEd » Nov 19th, '12, 15:12

Hi all,

Been drinking tea for about 50 years or so. Probably started with Lipton like most Americans. Then moved on to Earl Grey and all things Twinings for quite a few years. Read Blofeld's "Chinese Art of Tea" in about '85 or so and his "best teas" were Dragonwell and Tie Guan Yin. I was actually able to find some in Seattle back then and haven't looked back. Favorite tea, boy I drink a broad spectrum of teas but mostly Oolongs. Honestly don't think I could pick out a single favorite. Next purchase, got a shipment of Chawans on the way. A clay kettle, a porcelain green tea set and a tetsubin are on their way as well. I have so much tea right now I need to hold off on buying more. Unless the fall Gaoshan's show up soon, then I'll be forced to get some of them. Favorite spot to brew, my kitchen I guess.

Nov 19th, '12, 16:49

by kittylovestea » Nov 19th, '12, 16:49

How long have you been drinking tea? I have been drinking tea all my life but started to venture away from your average herbal tea's (from a supermarket) in the last few years. Now I adore using my gaiwan for fresh tea's such as Jasmine Pearls, Oolong and Pu erh.

What was your first Tea? I used to buy the Twinings herbal/fruit tea varieties from local supermarkets whilst doing my food shopping as a young teenager.

What is your favourite Tea currently? My favourite tea changes with my mood and time of year but at the moment it's Jasmine Pearls or Black Dragon Pearls. I'm Pearl mad at the moment :)

What is your next purchase? I'm still waiting for a few orders from Teavivre, Tea from Taiwan, Dragon Tea House and 52 Teas. Once they arrive I will be placing an order after Christmas for a re stock of some new and exciting tea's with whoever stocks exactly what I'm after.

Where is your favourite spot to brew up? As Dorothy said "There's no place like home".

Nov 19th, '12, 21:56
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 19th, '12, 21:56

how long have you been drinking tea?

Since my parents drink tea every day (bags and loose red tea, e.g., Lipton, P.G. Tips), I thought my first sip of tea was probably when I was around two or three years old. Chinese tea is also served everywhere here in Hong Kong.

I just asked mom when I would have had my first sip of tea, and she said when I was seven or eight--it was soda and shakes before then.

what was your first tea?

Probably Lipton, but I really don't know. Tea is just part of our lives here. My first loose leaf purchase was green jasmine pearls in Shenzhen back in '99, I believe. I was taught how to 'gung fu' then and bought a cheap porcelain tea set that I wish I still had, simple as it was. My aunt in New York inherited it.

what is your favorite tea currently?

Right now, probably the incredibly cheap new Phoenix Dancong I received from Chaozhou last week. It gives me an unbelievable energy boost. It might be the caffeine, but even coffee doesn't do what the Phoenix does for me!

what is your next purchase?

I should be receiving some Fu Zhuan today. I need to pick up some high roast TGY, some SX and some aged pu for other people too!

where is your favorite spot to brew up?

Definitely at my workplace. I work alone and have a tea table I assembled using simple stainless kitchen hardware from the neighborhood which I repurposed. It works just fine and I can be alone with my kettle, teaware and tea down there. I see hundreds of kilos of tea move back and forth every day from my window there. There is a wholesaler directly across the street! I can even see the bings and tongs of pu erh in their retail counter.

Jan 16th, '13, 09:52

by Emjaysmash » Jan 16th, '13, 09:52

<1 year (although been drinking tea from bags for ten years)
What was your first Tea?
First loose leaf was Lapsang souchong.
Still looking for suggestions!!
No idea, still learning
My easy chair in the winter, porch in the summer.

Thanks!

Jan 18th, '13, 23:04

by amaranto » Jan 18th, '13, 23:04

Though I haven't been a member of TeaChat for very long, I still haven't properly introduced myself.

Since I'm from the southern US, I've been drinking sweet tea all my life, through I began drinking bagged Earl Grey and herbal tisanes when I was around 12.

What was your first Tea?

Lipton black tea in the large bags used to make iced tea.

Would have to be a tie between the Miyazaki Kamairichas and Tie Guan Yins I've been drinking lately.

I'd like to try a white Darjeeling.

At home, in my living room, with my teaware and a friend who enjoys drinking tea as much as I.

Jan 21st, '13, 03:30

by victoria3 » Jan 21st, '13, 03:30

Hi tea mates. I've enjoyed reading your posts for the past few weeks and thought I'd join.

Since I was a child sort of; Mate in Argentina, Pau d'Arco in Brazil, Peppermint in the US. Although, I got serious about tea three years ago when I started brewing Kombucha and bottling it with fine herbs. After posting Kombucha brewing articles on a blog, I got into a very interesting conversation with a South African brewer, Stuart Thomson from Gaia Research, about the benefits of green tea. Those tea conversations opened and closed a few doors. I got hooked on Japanese greens and moved away from the Chinese, for the time being.
What was your first Serious Tea?
My first serious journey was with organic loose Chinese green varieties like Gunpowder & Dragonwell, but that has been replaced by higher grade Japanese greens. Lipton tea bags were never an option for me, probably because of my early experience with Mate & Pau d'Arco, which require large amounts of loose tea for a good brew.
Japanese Fukamushi deep steamed senchas, aranchas, sin-chas, gykoros.
Well, I am anticipating the 2013 1st flush sin-cha crop in April (where to order...), but for now I've ordered from O-Cha a few new teas. I'm testing the teas there so I ordered; Kagoshima Sencha Yutaka Midori, Uji Sencha Otsuusan, Organic Sencha "Oku Yutaka"
By my slightly ajar kitchen window....then migrating to my office where I drink tea till 2 or 3pm while I work. I am still very attached to my sexy curvy Eva Solo teamaker with a zippered neoprene dress, although I only use it for my everyday greens, higher grades get the kyusus.

Jan 23rd, '13, 11:50

by NPE » Jan 23rd, '13, 11:50

Hello everyone!

After staying on the sidelines without registering, I decided recently that it was time to join the fun.

I have been drinking loose tea for about 20 years

What was your first Tea?
My first tea ever was probably some teabag from the supermarket - but then I was shown the light by someone more enlightened in school who introduced me to the joys of loose Darjeeling brewed properly

Hmm, that is quite difficult. I like oolong - both light and heavier roasts but also seriously enjoy sencha, gyokuro, seogwang and some slightly older sheng pu-erh. The answer depends on many things and is subject to frequent and unannounced change.

Probably some oolong but I have just had a very tantalizing sample of pu-erh as well that cries out for more...

I still need to make myself a proper teacorner at home. At the moment I still brew up in the kitchen but I would like to get closer to where I like to drink the tea: near the PC

Jan 24th, '13, 10:14

by Namnai » Jan 24th, '13, 10:14

I'm from the Indian subcontinent. So my family tends to drink a lot of tea. Milk tea usually, legacy of being a British colony. So I started to drink it quite young. 7 or 8 years old, I'm 24 now :P I started to drink plain teas about four years ago and usually what ever I could get at the stores. Last year I started to pay more attention to the brewing temps got a gaiwan. So I'd like to think I truly began to dive into teas a year ago. Still learning

What was your first Tea?
Silver needle white

Torn between Gyokuro and Jasmine tea

A nice Jasmine tea, still trying out different kinds. Hopefully you guys will help me with finding a good tea and vendor

On the terrace. You can see the whole city from up there. Quiet and serene. The flowers blooming and theirs scents wafting in the breeze.

Jan 25th, '13, 13:35

by Suutej_Tsaj » Jan 25th, '13, 13:35

Since early childhood, so I'd say for 16 years at least (I'm 22 now). My earliest memory dates back to 1995 (age 5). One of our typical sunday afternoons, when we would spend some time at our house in the countryside, then come back home, make tea and watch Disney movies. :mrgreen:

What was your first Tea?

Twinings English Breakfast and Early Grey teabags, because that's what my family use to drink. Then three years ago, out of the blue, I started buying loose leaves of Twinings Gunpowder, random Ceylon and hibiscus (precious, precious hibiscus...).

Gyokuro, although I have a whole new world to explore.

Probably some Oolong, and I also have to replenish my supplies of chamomile and hibiscus (precious, precious hibiscus...).

The kitchen, for practical reasons. :lol:

Feb 1st, '13, 06:33

by meditavo » Feb 1st, '13, 06:33

If the Italian version of Lipton yellow label (a pale yellow liquid with lemon and sugar in it) counts as tea, since forever.
If the English supermarket bagged version counts, then 20 years
If we only count 'proper tea' (quality, loose leaf), less than a year (and a big thank you to TeaChat for all the useful information I found here!).

What was your first Tea?

see above

English and other blends: Royale, Irish Breakfast
Chinese Tea: DTH Da Hong Pao, Jing Tea Shop Yi Xing Red and Huang Shan Mao Feng

Awaiting delivery from JTS: Oolong tea Milan Dancong, Bai Lin Gong Fu, a good Lapsang is next on the list

I don't have one

+ Post Reply