Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Nov 8th, '14, 09:57

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by industek » Nov 8th, '14, 09:57

Hi everybody,

How long have you been drinking tea?

I drink tea for 4 years. At first I did't drink tea because I did't like it. I was drinking tea in teabags, I did't mind the time and water. Then by chance I went over to the Chinese tea and discovered this wonderful world. I dedicated myself to it every day of my life ever since.

What was your first Tea?

My first tea was a White Tea (Bai Mu Dan).

What is your favorite Tea currently?

I don' t have a favorite tea. I drink all kinds of tea Chinese or Japanese. I think that every tea is a unique experience and every tea talk me something about and it leaves something inside.

What is your next purchase?

My Next purchases are: a purion teapot by lin's ceramic studio and a tea cup by Kamada Koji

Where is your favorite spot to brew up?

In my home.

Sorry for my english...:-)

byee

Nov 23rd, '14, 02:55

by dgurianov » Nov 23rd, '14, 02:55

Hi everybody, my name is Daniel and i`m from Ukraine.

I drink tea for 17 years. I started early 1997, when i was visiting friends of my parents who are professional mountain climbers and used to visit Tibet, Nepal , China couple of times during the year.

What was your first Tea?

Being guest of friends o my family in late 1997 , i was treated by some kind of yellow tea, that i still cannot find anywhere. It looked like bunch of tree stems that were dried under pressure of some heavy object and were flat like collection herbs you dry for the school work. This bunch of stems had formed some shape, that is most close to broken brick, with color from golden yellow to yellow-brownish. As far as i remember, they brought this tea from their latest trip to TIbet. Aroma of that tea is quite hard to describe , but i remeber it like it was yesterday. It was like some old pile of books smell plus some dried herbs, plus something like coconut a little bit .

I don' t have a favorite tea, but i mostly prefer teas with complex aroma and aftertaste (oolongs, green, yellow, white teas).

I miss white and yellow tea. Haven`t drank them for a year. Will buy today some.

Mosly i dring tea at home in my tea place. I also enjoy to take all the stuff outside to some park close to the water and beautifull view, or pack the bag with teaware and ride a bike out of the city to be alone with the tea.

Dec 2nd, '14, 15:46

by Sunyata » Dec 2nd, '14, 15:46

Since I was a kid - but I got serious about it several years ago, not sure how many.

What was your first Tea?
Lipton doesn't count, and I don't know the kind I had with my old friends from yoga class - the first really good tea I had was probably some green pearls or silver needle. Once I did silver needle right, that was it for me.

Not sure I can narrow it down like that, but recently a friend gave me a Pu-Erh brick she got from China, and I consider it a special treat when I pick some.

Open. Whatever sample I like best, or maybe something the experts here suggest!

No place like home. I also had a great tea routine when I worked at an office. Planning to check out some of the tea cafes around my area soon - I just discovered them.

Dec 16th, '14, 21:25

by Lord Razz » Dec 16th, '14, 21:25

I've been drinking tea since I was about 5. It was always teabags however until recently. A few years ago I got into Twinings loose tea and in September I discovered a whole new world of tea and dived in head first

What was your first Tea?
Lipton

Sakura Allure from Teavana...

jade oolong

In my kitchen

Dec 16th, '14, 23:42

by lilly007chang » Dec 16th, '14, 23:42

Hi everybody,

Strictly 6 months I think,I did drink tea several times in the past,it gave me bad impression and I refused tea after then.

What was your first Tea?
Puerh

My best favorite is Bi Luo Chun,of course,I like those wild and organic tea as well such as white tea,lapsang souchong,rose buds etc

2015 new Bi Luo Chun

At my home

Dec 23rd, '14, 13:46

by LosDudosSwe » Dec 23rd, '14, 13:46

10 years-ish? Seriously drinking tea though, only around 1 year or so, I must admit.

What was your first Tea?

My dad used to brew, when I lived at home still, a combination of Lady Grey and Ceylon BOP, and that is the first tea I can remember drinking.

Currently, pu of all kinds have tickled my fancy. I've kinda fallen into the rabbit hole.

More pu, going to try Xiaguan Flame Brick, and some Fu brick tea, just so
I can say I have :) .

Feb 1st, '15, 12:34

by mjay089 » Feb 1st, '15, 12:34

What was your first Tea?

Hey! Thanks for the prompt! I'm definitely a tea noob, but I'm trying to fix that :D

I've actually only been drinking tea for a few years. Growing up I've always said/thought that I HATED tea, but when I decided I was going to lose some weight I read about Green Tea increasing your metabolism.

Lipton's Green tea was the tea that got me sucked into this new world, and I'm not turning back!

My favorite tea now is a blend of two of Teavana's teas. Caramel Chai Rooibos and Caramel Almond Amaretti Herbal tea... I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!!!! There something about it that just keeps me going back to this one. More generically, my favorite other than black tea, would be rooibos.

My next purchase will probably be some Earl Grey Tea from Pipers Tea. I had a sample of this recently and I'm kind of hooked! I gave a review of it on my blog if you want to check it out.

My favorite spot to brew it up would be my home... Relaxing in bed or on the sofa. HA I know that's not exciting, but it's true!

Feb 1st, '15, 16:14

by mjay089 » Feb 1st, '15, 16:14

"I miss white and yellow tea. Haven`t drank them for a year. Will buy today some."

Can you offer any suggestions for white and yellow tea? I am very inexperienced when it comes to those varieties.

Feb 1st, '15, 18:46
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 1st, '15, 18:46

mjay089 wrote:What is your next purchase?

"I miss white and yellow tea. Haven`t drank them for a year. Will buy today some."

Can you offer any suggestions for white and yellow tea? I am very inexperienced when it comes to those varieties.
Might I suggest that you check out our white tea forum for possibilities. Or post asking for suggestions there ... :idea:

Mar 3rd, '15, 02:01

by kiwi303 » Mar 3rd, '15, 02:01

A newbie to TeaChat here as well, there seems to be a LOT of them in this thread ;)

I'm a Kiwi, Bred and Born in New Zealand and with the usual kiwis itchy feet. Lived in Chongqing in P.R.C for 12 months and another month-ish in Fenghua near Ningbo, while there I got a liking for chinese greens.

Since I was around 10 or so, in the summer of '90/'91 (Southern Hemisphere here, so that was Nov-Jan) I remember drinking cup after cup after cup on the tour boat on Lake Manapouri. English black, first with milk and lots of sugar, later with less sugar, by the time I was 15 or so, no sugar.
I quite like Earl Grey, or a strong black like Kenya Bold from Bell Tea here in NZ.

What was your first Tea?
Bog standard supermarket english Black.

Liu An Gua Pian. I usually brew up a 1.5L coffee plunger and let it sit and steep as I drink, it changes from the first cup until I pour the last liquid off the dregs. Often the leaves will stay in the plunger until morning, and the nights tea becomes the morning tea simply by adding hot water and letting it brew while making breakfast.

I was browsing Aliexpress for a few knicknaks and saw a sidebar for tea, Hmm... Never tried PuErh, Ordered a brick of what they claimed as "1980's Ripe Puerh" Having found this site a few days later from a different direction (YiXing teaware, bidding on a pot and googling the stamp) and the Puer section, I suspect it will turn out to be QUITE ripe and probably compost given it was only $10 a 250gm brick.
Having been lead from here to YunnanSourcing, I suspect I will be getting a bunch of smaller size samples of several puers soon.

Depends on what I am doing. I make billy brews when hunting, sitting on a hilltop with a tin can containing a spoon of tea, a pinch of salt and cold water slowly coming to the boil beside me as I watch for movement of deer.
Or sitting on the deck with a brew of green tea steeping on the table beside me as I read a book.
Or a nice Darjeeling or Earl Grey on a cafe sidewalk table watching the world go by in town. (through TBH I generally have coffee in cafes)

Mar 3rd, '15, 14:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by Mrs. Chip » Mar 3rd, '15, 14:29

Welcome to TeaChat. I am sure you will broaden your Teahorizons around here, and also learn about great, new vendors as well. Enjoy your journey?

Mar 3rd, '15, 22:35

by kiwi303 » Mar 3rd, '15, 22:35

Thanks for the welcome, I'm enjoying it so far.

I can't find all the teas I used to have while in China, for one, Sichuan Southwest Agricultural University Experimental Tea Company doesn't export to over here! So the packaged teas I grew to like aren't here (they had a DELICIOUS mild floral jasmine), and in the other case, I bought teas from a shop in no more packaging than a twist of paper.

The place was a hole in the wall between a shoe shop and a noodle eatery, no bagged commercial stuff on display just big clay crocks with wooden lids with characters burnt into the tops along with a price (Per half kilo I guess, that's the standard there). I would just sniff along the crocks until I found something smelling interesting, wave a few yuan notes at the proprietor and he would weight some out, tip it onto a piece of newspaper and twist it up. Hand over the cash, take the tea and off home to brew up.

I got used to having my tea the local way, every decent store had at least a few bottles with a mesh filter and drinking cap, people would drop some leaves in the bottle, insert the filter, fill with hot water and screw the lid on. One set of tea leaves would go all day, when you ran dry, just add more hot water. Very practical in a city where unboiled water isn't trustworthy.

Mar 8th, '15, 04:50

by tenoh271 » Mar 8th, '15, 04:50

Hello and Peace from a tea drinker currently residing in Japan.

Since I was a child, mostly in restaurants and during major festivals. Seriously dived into the world of tea drinking about 9 years ago, went on a hiatus not long after, and picked it up again - even more obsessively than before - around 1 year or so ago.

What was your first Tea?

No idea, but most probably either Shu PuErh, TieGuanYin or LiuBao, since those are the teas most commonly served in restaurants at the town I grew up in.

Currently, I have contracted a Puerh fever of some sorts, and fallen headlong into the Puerh rabbit hole. Dancongs are also a perennial favourite, though, followed by most Oolongs.

A reserved tiny Gaiwan from Shawn McGuire.
More Puerh, just not decided on which vendor to start with, EoT, TeaUrchin or Chawangshop.

I am glad to have finally registered and be able say hello to all those I have learned from this past year. Thank you! :)

Mar 9th, '15, 16:19

by TaiFong » Mar 9th, '15, 16:19

Thanks from a tea drinker from Edmonton, Canada
Just posted a few topics to!

I have been drinking tea for as long as I can remember with my Grandma and Mom

What was your first Tea?
I am not positive but I beleive my first tea was red rose orange pekoe. That is still to this day the only tea my mother will drink

Currently I just got back from Taiwan and while there I was drinking all kinds of high mountain oolong tea. Currently am finishing of some tea from Alishan monutain

I was looking to purchase some teas from Verdant tea once I finish my stockpile

Usually brew in the kitchen or at work on my tool box.

Thanks again

Mar 16th, '15, 10:41

by Gaolin » Mar 16th, '15, 10:41

Xin chao from Hanoi! Looking forward to be a part of this forum!

Many years but maybe 6 years focusing on what I put in my pots and cups

What was your first Tea?
Keemun black

Aged puerh tea

Nothing on my list...for now! :D

My tearoom

+ Post Reply