Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Sep 24th, '11, 23:42

Re: Calling on all noobs and not so noobs!

by blueye » Sep 24th, '11, 23:42

Greeting all. I bump into this place thru my friend. So just hang out here from time to time as more activities here. So do start up, I usually brew my tea when I am at home. I enjoy it more when I am at home. As most of my tea gear is at my home. But now I have acquire a travelling teapot will see how many adventure we will have.

Currently, I am switching focus from ripe pu er to tky as working location have more of that tea. I figure might as well take the opportunities to "experience it". My next purchase would most likely be tea cups. Just tea cup.

I don't really have favourite tea but generally i switch around tea or drink in a course.

My first tea would most probably be an old tin of oolong tea and shuixian which I bought since 1998.

That's all folks!! Laterz! :wink:

Sep 25th, '11, 00:04

by auhckw » Sep 25th, '11, 00:04

blueye wrote:Greeting all. I bump into this place thru my friend. So just hang out here from time to time as more activities here. So do start up, I usually brew my tea when I am at home. I enjoy it more when I am at home. As most of my tea gear is at my home. But now I have acquire a travelling teapot will see how many adventure we will have.

Currently, I am switching focus from ripe pu er to tky as working location have more of that tea. I figure might as well take the opportunities to "experience it". My next purchase would most likely be tea cups. Just tea cup.

I don't really have favourite tea but generally i switch around tea or drink in a course.

My first tea would most probably be an old tin of oolong tea and shuixian which I bought since 1998.

That's all folks!! Laterz! :wink:
Nice to have you here :) Time to show off your antiques cup in the teaware section :mrgreen:

Oct 3rd, '11, 10:35

by Mterpstra » Oct 3rd, '11, 10:35

How long have you been drinking tea?
i've been drinking tea since 4-5 years. but i've diving into the loose tea world for just a few months now. i've been discovering so many nice flavors in tea, i afraid(well more happy i guess) that i'll keep on drinking the stuff

What was your first Tea?
my first was probably some morning black tea my parents always drink in the morning. that was the reason i didn't like tea for a very long time untill my girlfriend teached me about herbal tea, en then i had green tea en then i was sold

What is your favorite Tea currently?
my faves iare mostly green teas. and i love pi lo chun and dragonwell. but i think kukicha does wins it. it's not as sophisticated, but it's just so nice to drink and really refreching(just had some with lime and ginger)

What is your next purchase?

i wanna have so many things because i haven't had many different teas. but i think i'm going to get some gyokuro. had it before and it's just really a special tea.

Where is your favorite spot to brew up?
i have a tea corner in my room where i brew. i usually drink on a meditation bench so i'm only concentrating on the tea.

Oct 4th, '11, 22:35

by Ostara » Oct 4th, '11, 22:35

So I thought I would fill this out because it gave me something to do :D lol

I have been drinking tea for years at least 15 or more years
for loose leaf tea only the last 3 years, I was actually introduced to loose leaf through evil teavana. At the time my mom was in detroit visiting extended family so she went into teavana got me my first and really badly made yixing pot and 2 teas, one being jasmine dragon pearls and pi lo chun. Funny thing was that the jasmine dragon pearls were great quality when I got them (which is weird because to me teavana has low quality tea) So it had a very euphoric feeling and very much a natural muscle relaxant but that must have been due to the jasmine that was in it

What was your first Tea?
those bagged lipton teas that taste like flavored water. then i moved onto more bagged tea for a few years, then realized there was a whole new world of loose leaf teas which i have been drinking for the last 3 years or so

hummmm favorite tea currently would have to be greens or oolongs, althought i do like some blacks like earl grey. Jasmine tea too is great even when combined with greens is intoxicating to me :)

a new tea cup for sure, i just ordered some tea and a new pot but even though I have my favorite drinking cup that I use for tea its not strictly for tea. Or I might get more tea LOL

I love waking up to a chilly spring or fall morning to a fresh brew of tea, I have done this time and time again and I wake up to where my muscles are still relaxed enough so the tea has almost a euphoric(sp?) feeling and the best thing to wake up to. A great time to sit around enjoying nature and let your mind relax and enjoy the flavors that tea has to bring

Oct 10th, '11, 14:14

by Madrileno_x_el_mundo » Oct 10th, '11, 14:14

Hi all,

Regularly year and a half

What was your first Tea?
In Spain mostly of people has coffe instead tea. It´s not a very popular brew but history nowadays is changing, just as well. So, it is typical (or it was typical) in my country to brew tea when you have a nausea and stomachache in order to bring up all you have inside. All teas we had in Spain until this decade taht companies are introducing new qualities products were crap, for instance: Hornimans tea bags. A lot of people from generation we connect tea with nausea.

During this period of time, I have tried trough Mariage Freres and Dammann quality stuff from several countries and right now, I have in mind mostly of the time the marine and sweet taste of gyokuro. I am willing to get new different types of japanesse green tea.

Gyokuro from Ippodo (Ippoen, Kanro & Rimpo)
Sencha Hosen
Matcha Wakamatsu-no-mukashi

Anytime anyplace but specially in winter (is coming) at home or a place with big windows watching the time roll away.

Bes wishes

MXM

Oct 11th, '11, 00:34

by goeran » Oct 11th, '11, 00:34

Hi Everyone!
I am snooping around the site for a month now and found some great information! Thank you to all of you and I am looking forward to learn more!

Just started drinking Chinese tea ( currently oolongs and rock teas) and feel like that I really missed out on a world of flavors. It is really amazing! :o
What was your first Tea?
As a kid the usual, bags and peppermint tea etc. but than about 3 month ago I walked into a teashop and got hooked as the owner pulled out the "good stuff" some great DHP and some really old Pu-erh!
I am tasting my way through a sampler of Yan cha and I am loving it!!!
Properly some storage containers as I have to take it a bit easy. I "might" have gone a bit overboard in the past few month with pots, cups, teas and trays etc. :lol:
At home with the Mrs. and my kid while trying to impress them with my shaky "gong fu cha skills" :D

Have fun!
Goeran

Nov 2nd, '11, 08:10
Scrolling: scrolling

by Stentor » Nov 2nd, '11, 08:10

Hey.
I'm back.
I was away from TeaChat for a while because I was very busy studying and had to cut back on some "hobbies". So I decided to take a hiatus from TeaChat for a while. I probably didn't have to stop posting entirely but it helped me focus.
After a while I thought I had to make some sort of meaningful post when I came back and thinking that prevented me from just coming back spontaneously and "picking up where I left off".

This right here may not be a very meaningful or special post at all but I just thought I'd come back just to be back and here seems to be a good place to do so.
Those of you who know me (it hasn't been THAT long, at least I hope so) will know that you can generally find me in the greener and more Japanese areas of the forum. :)

I'm sorry for just disappearing like that.
I hope you'll have me back!

Nov 2nd, '11, 10:49

by Chip » Nov 2nd, '11, 10:49

Hi Stentor! Glad to see you and of course we will have you back ... as soon as you send me some of that sencha!

Looking forward to seeing you around ... you have been missed.

And welcome to all you other newbies to TeaChat ... :!:

Nov 26th, '11, 06:32

by Roughage » Nov 26th, '11, 06:32

I've drunk tea pretty much all my life.

What was your first Tea?
I started my tea drinking with the usual bagged white and two when I was a wee nipper. About twenty years ago I started buying loose leaf Darjeeling from the supermarket and I graduated to green teas about fifteen years ago. Earlier this year I started to expand my tea horizons following a discussion with an e-friend, so I started geeking out at the full range of teas available.

What is your favourite Tea currently?
Canton Tea Co's Anji Bai Cha is my current favourite. It blew my mind when I first tasted it because of the fantastic flavour and long, lingering aftertaste.

What will your next purchase be?
That's a good question. I would like more Anji Bai Cha, but I also want to sample the full range of other teas available. That said, whatever I get will probably be either green or white, unless I start working on my Puerh collection seriously.

I drink at home. I'm not sure it counts as a favourite spot. I really need to put a travel kit together and start drinking proper tea everywhere! :)

Dec 19th, '11, 21:18

by Lerxst2112 » Dec 19th, '11, 21:18

Oh boy, where to begin? One of the members here introduced me to true teas several months ago. I finally got to drink some last month - and I believe I was started off with an anxi Oolong, but to be honest, we had so many varieties of tea that I can't remember which was first. I guess this is an appropriate time to answer the OP's questions.. so..

How long have you been drinking tea? - About a month now. Since Nov 19th to be exact.

What was your first Tea? - Again, I don't rightly remember, but I think it was an Anxi Oolong.

What is your favorite Tea currently? - Hands down, deep steamed Sencha. Although I did recently sample a pu-erh from the '90s, and found it quite enjoyable.

What is your next purchase? - Most likely teaware, as I have none.

Where is your favorite spot to brew up? - Anywhere peaceful and comfortable.

- So there you have it. I tend to be a brutally open and honest person who is unoffendable, so anything you wish to know about me, you need only ask. =)

Dec 19th, '11, 21:30

by Chip » Dec 19th, '11, 21:30

Lerxst2112 wrote: - So there you have it. I tend to be ... unoffendable, so anything you wish to know about me, you need only ask. =)
Well, OK, then do you like UNC or Duke? ... keep in mind the wrong answer could get you banned! :mrgreen:

Oh, and welcome to TeaChat!

Dec 20th, '11, 11:38

by Lerxst2112 » Dec 20th, '11, 11:38

Chip wrote:
Lerxst2112 wrote: - So there you have it. I tend to be ... unoffendable, so anything you wish to know about me, you need only ask. =)
Well, OK, then do you like UNC or Duke? ... keep in mind the wrong answer could get you banned! :mrgreen:

Oh, and welcome to TeaChat!
Thankyou. To be honest, neither, as I don't really follow sports. That, and I just moved to North Carolina. If I may, I think I misinterpreted the OP's first question, so I will amend my answer here:

-how long have you been drinking tea? - Have had 'bagged' tea for about 25 years, and my preferences had been narrowed down to Bigelow Earl Grey and Tetley British Blend. I have been drinking "real" tea for a little over a month.

Dec 21st, '11, 19:36

by Dinahsaur » Dec 21st, '11, 19:36

I have been drinking tea since I was around 13 or 14. I was drinking very basic tea from bags (I think Orange Spice teas were my favorites back then). Over time, I turned my tastes more towards black teas (still in bag form) and learned to drink my tea with sugar and cream while studying abroad in the UK. It was only after I came home from the UK that I really started expanding my tea knowledge and pickiness.
What was your first Tea?
My first really nice tea was a Sencha Spiderleg from a local shop here in Chico called Zucchini & Vine. It was a gift from a relative for Christmas.
I have difficulty marking anything as a "favorite". Though I have been particularly fond of a fine red tea I picked up in a tea shop in Dali. I remember the shop owner telling me at length (through my brother, aka my translator) why this tea was so much better quality than another one I was getting in larger quantities to bring home to friends. Only now, after learning more, do I understand just how much better this tea is!
I've been looking for a nice Darjeeling or Oolong. If anyone has any suggestions where the pricing is at least relatively reasonable, I'd love to hear them!
Anywhere at all! As long as I have the capability of brewing up, I like to take it. I frequently do so at work. I guess my absolute favorite would be on work days when I manage to get up early enough to just sit and relax before I have to leave the house. Those mornings, I like to break out a gaiwan and one of my tea tables and just enjoy a miniature, non-traditional tea ceremony with myself.

Dec 29th, '11, 12:40

by wagmore » Dec 29th, '11, 12:40

Hello!

Twenty years or so? When I was growing up in Romania, ten or twelve years old, I would make BIG pots of tea, gallon and a half and a mountain of sugar, and I'd drink big cups of it all day. Once or twice, I forgot the water boiling, and found, too late, the kitchen smoky and a pot half-filled with a crispy black sugar mound. Whoops.

What was your first Tea?
Lipton black tea in bags, most likely.

Earl Gray, loose, imported from Turkey... Sadat or some such brand. No sugar, no lemon. I wore out my Jasmine tooth for awhile with some low grade "pearls" I bought on Ebay. Savings, my eye. Just had a taste of some amazing Jasmine Yin Hao, yum. A local japanese restaurant recently turned me on to roasted rice tea. On occasion, a London Fog really hits the spot, too--but I don't get out much these days.

I'm curious about white teas... are they really healthier? I've acquired the prejudice that less processed is more healthy. I hope that pans out. Recommendations are welcome!

Home & office. Haven't really done any "social drinking"...if you know what I mean! :D

Dec 29th, '11, 13:50

by Lerxst2112 » Dec 29th, '11, 13:50

wagmore wrote: On occasion, a London Fog really hits the spot, too
I'm curious about white teas... are they really healthier?
(snipped for conciseness)

I assume, for the London Fog, you're referring to the "Earl Grey Latte" and not the gin & licorice liqueur cocktail. :) Both of which I had sampled at the Servisair Lounge at Heathrow - both of which delicious!

Anyway.. white tea.. The only one I've had was a white-peach Wuyi put out by Stash, which I'm quite sure doesn't count. Insofar as medicinal qualities of white v. others - I've heard it is chock full of antioxidants, and you'll find some people argue that it helps with weight control. I'm more partial to green tea, to be honest, specifically Sencha. But that's between you and your cricket.

Romania! Wow! Sounds like quite the experience. Enjoy your stay on the site. =)

Peace, love and tea,
Jess

+ Post Reply