Hi from NYC

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Dec 22nd, '11, 17:55

Hi from NYC

by pickles » Dec 22nd, '11, 17:55

Hi there,

I just found your site, I'm glad to be here!

I enjoy many different teas, but I tend to gravitate towards the stronger, most robust ones like assam and lapsang souchong. Looking forward to talking tea with everyone!

Dec 22nd, '11, 17:58

Re: Hi from NYC

by iannon » Dec 22nd, '11, 17:58

Welcome Pickles ;) Glad you found us here. I am sure if you enjoy reading and chatting about all things tea you will have a great time here

Dec 22nd, '11, 22:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Dec 22nd, '11, 22:49

Welcome, Pickles to TeaChat! Enjoy your TeaJourney with us,

I am looking forward to seeing you around the forum. Please let us know what you are drinking by posting in TeaDay! :mrgreen:

Dec 22nd, '11, 23:08

by BioHorn » Dec 22nd, '11, 23:08

Welcome. Living in NY! You are a lucky tea person.

Dec 22nd, '11, 23:15

by iannon » Dec 22nd, '11, 23:15

BioHorn wrote:Welcome. Living in NY! You are a lucky tea person.
Exactly! I would love to have a real tea room/shop somewhere within 100 miles of me :( like..MTR

Dec 23rd, '11, 10:12

by pickles » Dec 23rd, '11, 10:12

Thanks everyone--I admit that it is nice to have actual tea shops here, although I do buy a lot of tea via the Internet too. :D

Dec 23rd, '11, 19:44
Scrolling: scrolling

by Lerxst2112 » Dec 23rd, '11, 19:44

pickles wrote:
robust ones like assam and lapsang souchong.
First off, welcome to the site, from a NY transplant! (Spent 24+ years there, Lower Hudson Valley) :D

Second - I finally have to ask: I know Lapsang is a tea (smoked over pine fire, if memory serves) and I enjoy it for its strong smokiness, but to be honest, I used it to season steaks with, along with other seasonings - I confess to never drinking it. What are its flavour profiles?

Enjoy the site!
~Jess

Dec 26th, '11, 14:54

by pickles » Dec 26th, '11, 14:54

Lerxst2112 wrote: First off, welcome to the site, from a NY transplant! (Spent 24+ years there, Lower Hudson Valley) :D

Second - I finally have to ask: I know Lapsang is a tea (smoked over pine fire, if memory serves) and I enjoy it for its strong smokiness, but to be honest, I used it to season steaks with, along with other seasonings - I confess to never drinking it. What are its flavour profiles?

Enjoy the site!
~Jess
Hi Jess!

I'm embarrassed to say that my vocabulary with regard to tea is pretty lame--I'm not sure how to define the flavor profiles of lapsang! It's extremely smoky, almost like Scotch whisky. I usually drink it along with foods that have a lot of spice and/or oil (various Asian cuisines work well, of course). The smoke balances the food flavors nicely.

I don't usually have lapsang souchong on its own, unless I'm in the mood or it's a really cold day, I don't find it as enjoyable as an afternoon drinker.

I hope that helps! :)

Aug 22nd, '12, 11:11

by MacGuffin » Aug 22nd, '12, 11:11

Hey, pickles! I've lived in Midtown since 1987.

I'm not a lapsang fan myself but I'm told that Seven Cups's lapsangs (they carry souchong and bohea) are very good--I gave samples to an English colleague and he liked them both. Really wonderful Assams are available through Assam Tea Co.--the owner used to market his own teas as "single malts." I stick with them because they seem to fulfill my needs but I'm always open to new offerings. :D

The only vendor I liked in Manhattan closed; it was the Ito En shop on the UES and they were the only brick-and-mortar source I knew of for imperial grade white Silver Tips from Darjeeling (their other offerings just seemed overpriced and mediocre). :( I did stop in at the Tea Gallery once but it was way out of my budget and I wasn't convinced they could provide me with anything that was available elsewhere (for less).

What are you drinking lately?

+ Post Reply