New to tea.

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Mar 25th, '13, 17:10

New to tea.

by h2oprnt » Mar 25th, '13, 17:10

Hi guys and gals, I am VERY new to teas, and after reading some, I learned that I was sucked into the Teavana store. But who cares at least I made it right? But I have grown up drinking Lipton, and Teavana did give me first try at loose teas. I like it alot. Just some thoughts on what I might try being a first timer and all?

Mar 25th, '13, 19:09

Re: New to tea.

by amaranto » Mar 25th, '13, 19:09

I and a lot of people I know began drinking white tea before trying other types. Some Bai Mu Dan might be good. There is even jasmine-flavored if you want something scented. The first one that comes to mind is Jing Tea Shop's Bai Mu Dan King. For regular, unscented, I've always ordered from Seven Cups. There are lots of places out there.

Whatever you decide on, welcome!

Mar 25th, '13, 21:26

by h2oprnt » Mar 25th, '13, 21:26

I never realized how complexed the tea world is, very overwhelming. Everything I read is greek to me. So many avenues to go and no arrows I guess you could say. I think I will pick a type of tea and go one at a time. One question though, what is a good tea for night time. I usually have a beer, but looking to get away from that.

Mar 26th, '13, 11:51

by amaranto » Mar 26th, '13, 11:51

I've been told hojicha has less caffeine than other teas, and I like it, but I'd probably go with something herbal if caffeine kept me up. I'm a big fan of rooibos tea, which doesn't have caffeine and tastes great. They say stuff like valerian helps you sleep. There may be an herbal tea that has some. It would have to be covered by a stronger taste because it smells pretty bad by itself :lol:

Mar 26th, '13, 12:04

by h2oprnt » Mar 26th, '13, 12:04

Well I am going to order a few different sample from Adagio, and see where it takes me. I am excited. I have been having trouble brewing the tea I got from Teavana, but I guess practice makes perfect.

Mar 26th, '13, 14:43

by teaisme » Mar 26th, '13, 14:43

I would get a bunch of samples from different places.
sticking with some samples from adagio may be a good idea, but it could also give a bad representation since higher quality can be found from a more specialized vendor.

Yunnansourcing, jingteashop, teaspring, norbu, o-cha, yuuki-cha, fivestartea, chawangteashop, essence of tea, tea urchin, houde, dens, ippodo etc

We also have members on teachat who are vendors...Origintea, white2tea, Hakoniwado, Mandarins tea room

Before you buy tons of tea to try I would make sure you have a decent setup.
Good water, good kettle that doesn't ruin the water, proper brewing vessel and cup.
For a nice nighttime tea...http://jingteashop.com/pd-jing-tea-shop ... a-ysbc.cfm

Mar 26th, '13, 21:46

by h2oprnt » Mar 26th, '13, 21:46

Thanks for the info. What I have to brew in is from Teavana. Looked for a pic, but basically it looks like a pitcher with a basket inside. I hate the thing. I felt taken in after I got home with there products, so I am looking here for help in making the proper purchases for brewing. They made it sound so simple to do, but I have not figured it out quite yet.

Mar 27th, '13, 00:25

by amaranto » Mar 27th, '13, 00:25

Dragon Tea House has a ton of teaware of all types and materials. You might try their website to see if you find something suitable. A lot of the places teaisme mentioned have good selections, as well.

Mar 27th, '13, 01:16
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Mar 27th, '13, 01:16

h2oprnt wrote:I never realized how complexed the tea world is, very overwhelming. Everything I read is greek to me. So many avenues to go and no arrows I guess you could say. I think I will pick a type of tea and go one at a time. One question though, what is a good tea for night time. I usually have a beer, but looking to get away from that.
I actually had a beer while gongfu brewing Taiwanese TGY yesterday. :D

Oolongs tend to make me very relaxed and sleepy.

Mar 27th, '13, 11:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 27th, '13, 11:38

Sorry for the late welcome to TeaChat, I've been busy drinking tea! :wink:

Yep, at least you made it. Enjoy your TeaJourney here with us on TeaChat.

Have a great TeaDay.

Mar 27th, '13, 11:48

by Evan Draper » Mar 27th, '13, 11:48

H2, people usually become quickly habituated to caffeine, so before too long you will find yourself brewing up a pound of tea before bed and sleeping soundly like the rest of us!

Mar 27th, '13, 14:01

by teaisme » Mar 27th, '13, 14:01

personally I can't just drink any tea before bed, it has to not get me wired, I also want something that wont be too cooling , or too potent

young plantation sheng, sencha, matcha, low oxi oolongs, potent blacks, gongfu packed heavy wuyi (though few leaves in bigger pot or bowl works fine), all these things I feel degrade my sleep quality (but work magic if I am already totally exhausted, but need to wake up in 3-4 hours).

If I am just a little sleepy, and plan to get around 8 hours rest, then I stick with lighter brews of shu, aged oolong, high oxi white teas, fruity high oxi oolongs, gentle chinese greens, by the end of session I am ready to drift off very easy

Mar 28th, '13, 18:56

by h2oprnt » Mar 28th, '13, 18:56

Thanks for the info. My wife likes iced teas, I am into hot teas. I think my next purchase will be some blacks of some variety. I like the blueberry bliss from Teavana, but it isn't strong enough for me. Thanks so much for the help on this subject. I am gonna go play with some teas, then come back and let you know how things go.

Mar 28th, '13, 18:58

by h2oprnt » Mar 28th, '13, 18:58

The other people that you mentioned on here that sell teas, they have websites right?

Mar 28th, '13, 19:06

by h2oprnt » Mar 28th, '13, 19:06

One more thing, On choosing the right pot. Is cast iron best?

+ Post Reply