Hello from another addict

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Sep 24th, '14, 15:45

by Puk » Sep 24th, '14, 15:45

Hello TeaChat.

My name is Jules and I've been lurking for the better part of a year but avoided registering for fear of catching the "Tea/ware Acquisition Syndrome" that seems to run virulent here. Never fear. I've caught it. I'm even passing it on to my 7-yr-old. Her favorite is Jinxuan oolongs in a mini blue celadon whose cracks are filling in nicely. Meanwhile, I'm a sucker for bug-bitten leaves and foggy evergreen aftertastes, so we fight sometimes over which cha to make. We're still learners.

I've enjoyed reading this forum and look forward to having something to contribute to the community. Nice to meet you all.

Sep 24th, '14, 16:06

Re: Hello from another addict

by Poseidon » Sep 24th, '14, 16:06

Welcome! You are quite lucky to be able to share your expirence with your little family member. Good luck(to both of you!) on your tea journey.
Last edited by Poseidon on Sep 25th, '14, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 25th, '14, 04:20

by mcrdotcom » Sep 25th, '14, 04:20

Welcome! :)

That is possibly the best 7 year old I've ever heard of. XD

Good luck! :D

Sep 25th, '14, 11:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Sep 25th, '14, 11:57

Given how addicting tea is and the fact that it has been proven on this forum to be a "gateway drug" to even more addicting and expensive ... habits/addictions, do you think it wise to be giving it to a 7 year old? What will you be doing next, giving away free samples down at the school playground?
:mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum, see you around.

Sep 25th, '14, 13:40

by Puk » Sep 25th, '14, 13:40

Thanks for the welcomes. Funny story, she offered me all of her coin savings the other day and told me to buy an aohagi from Noutomi Susumu that I've been eyeing. You see? (When was I ever that sweet? =P )

I won't go so far as to give away free teas to undiscerning 7s, but this 7 has already talked me into taking pottery lessons with her this winter. The slippery slope is upon us. Speaking of pottery, my first kyusu arrived in the mail today. A black, copper-oxide glazed baby from Maekawa Junzo.

*falls out

Sep 25th, '14, 14:22

by Poseidon » Sep 25th, '14, 14:22

Puk wrote:Thanks for the welcomes. Funny story, she offered me all of her coin savings the other day and told me to buy an aohagi from Noutomi Susumu that I've been eyeing. You see? (When was I ever that sweet? =P )

I won't go so far as to give away free teas to undiscerning 7s, but this 7 has already talked me into taking pottery lessons with her this winter. The slippery slope is upon us. Speaking of pottery, my first kyusu arrived in the mail today. A black, copper-oxide glazed baby from Maekawa Junzo.

*falls out
Enjoy puk! The little 7 sounds cute as can be! The pottery classes sound like a nice bonding time!

Lets see that kyusu!

Sep 25th, '14, 14:32

by Puk » Sep 25th, '14, 14:32

I found the 640px rule but I'm trying to find the rule where we need a minimum amount of posts or days under our belts before we can post photos. It's eluding me. Does the rule exist?

Sep 25th, '14, 15:17

by Chip » Sep 25th, '14, 15:17

Puk wrote:I found the 640px rule but I'm trying to find the rule where we need a minimum amount of posts or days under our belts before we can post photos. It's eluding me. Does the rule exist?
No, you may post photos.

I have one of those Junzo Kyusu, does your fizz when you pour hot water into it?

Sep 25th, '14, 16:35

by Puk » Sep 25th, '14, 16:35

Holy smokes, it does 'fizz'. I was trying to describe what was happening exactly and you've summed it up. It's like it sucks water in. Desert abyss. Hungry Ghost. I love this ugly duckling so bad.

I actually saw yours, Chip, when I was researching the pot and the artist. I was looking for additional pictures and personal experiences with the material. Since you seem to have so many different teawares, Chip, can you speak anything about the material and how it compares with your teas as opposed to others? Mine's currently making some of my cheaper non-rolled oolong taste amazing but then, I only have 3 unglazed pots to play with.

Pictures!
IMG_20140925_150711171_HDR.jpg
IMG_20140925_150711171_HDR.jpg (26.74 KiB) Viewed 928 times
Sparkle!
IMG_20140925_150500882_HDR.jpg
IMG_20140925_150500882_HDR.jpg (50.09 KiB) Viewed 928 times

Sep 25th, '14, 23:40

by Chip » Sep 25th, '14, 23:40

Yes, ugly duckling is a fairly apt description.

First of all, the exterior is a "slip" ... which is a good thing since I am not sure I would want my tea in absolute complete contact with it. :mrgreen: The exterior texture/finish is ... wild.

The clay itself, what you see on the inside, is unique for a tokoname kyusu from my experience in composition and ... fizz. The clay appears to be very sandy, similar to an "oni-Hagi" (rough sand clay hagi-yaki). I am guessing this gives it the rather extreme fizziness. But I have not experienced this in any other teaware to the best of my recollection.

I have only brewed sencha in it so far which it handles quite well. The pour is extremely fast. I have not done any side by side comparison with other kyusu.

BTW, I since purchased a taller white Junzo but have not used it yet. I suspect the appearance will change rapidly and dramatically.

Be sure to post under the Kyusu stickied topic! And be extra sure to tell your daughter that I am a huge Noutomi fan!

+ Post Reply