Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Mar 2nd, '08, 12:17

by stargazer » Mar 2nd, '08, 12:17

hello everyone,

i am a newbie to teachat...I love everything Sencha...
i want to get information about Shincha!!! when do i need to order? can i order and keep refrigerated? How do i get Teafridge :?:

Mar 2nd, '08, 12:49
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Newbie

by Chip » Mar 2nd, '08, 12:49

stargazer wrote:hello everyone,

i am a newbie to teachat...I love everything Sencha...
i want to get information about Shincha!!! when do i need to order? can i order and keep refrigerated? How do i get Teafridge :?:
Hi Stargazer (Lily). Welcome to TeaChat. I hope you visit TeaDay and share what is in your cup. It is a great way to get to know the forum locals.

Shincha usually begins around mid April, but it depends on the Prefecture. Kagoshima and Shizuoka are April, Uji is usually early May. But that does not mean they are instantly available at that time. Many TeaChatters get at least some shincha direct from Japan.

You just have to follow the different sites...TeaChat is a great way to hear about these updates as well.

Shincha should be stored under refrigeration until opened...away from odors. Thus the original TeaFridge was born, just a simple cube fridge "inherited" from my parents when they moved. I can keep it pretty cold too, just above freezing.

But your kitchen fridge can be used as long as there are no odors. I also place my bags into other bags, creating several layers of protection.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 2nd, '08, 13:16

by stargazer » Mar 2nd, '08, 13:16

Thanks chip,

I am in the process of purchasing acessories for Sencha...
today i will order utilitea
i wanted the kyusu teapot from rishi tea...:( sold out
Do you have any recommendations for sench teapot?

within next couple days i want to purchase sencha (i will use my thermometer for temp) Den's or O-cha??? if o-cha...which type???

This is where i get soooo confused: for now want to get started with sencha
Fukamushi Sencha Supreme or Kagoshima Sencha Yutaka Midori or Uji Sencha Miyabi ????? HELP

thanks

Mar 2nd, '08, 13:50

by Wesli » Mar 2nd, '08, 13:50

Ok, for firsties, grab a cuppa, and sloooowwww dowwwnnnn. :wink:

I'm glad to hear you're already onboard with sencha. Den's has a few inexpensive teapots you might want to look at. However, if you're looking for something nicer, Artistic Nippon's Tokoname section is a great place to find well-made Tokoname kyuusus.

Den's is a good place to start, then maybe 'move up' to O-cha. There's not really a hierarchy between the two, but Den's is better for beginners because you can order in 2oz sized instead of getting whole 100gram bags.

From Den's, I would recommend the Green Tea Kit, which is an awesome deal. If you want to add more to that, pick up Den's Guricha as well. mmmmmmm.

If you'd rather go to O-cha, then I'll tell you, it's hard to go wrong. :D From O-cha's Sencha section, everything from the Otsuusan and up have been loved by people. I would skip the Daily green tea, as well as the organic. The three you listed are all awesome teas, very intense ones. I doubt you'll be disappointed with any of them.

By the way, Welcome to TeaChat, and GOOD LUCK!

Mar 2nd, '08, 14:00

by stargazer » Mar 2nd, '08, 14:00

Thanks Wesli

Mar 2nd, '08, 14:19
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 2nd, '08, 14:19

Yeah, take a deep breath and exhale slowly. I for one and many others have made bad purchases early on. A good basic starter are Den's kyusus, hard to go wrong for 20 bucks. If and when you want another one, perhaps nicer, you will not regret having an extra kyusu around.

2 ounce bags are hard to beat...not many Japanese tea vendors provide this option. The Fukamushi Maki and Guricha are 2 of my favs there.

Here is a topic on O-Cha here on TeaChat...a lot of rabbit trails, but still informative. O-Cha topic

The Green Tea TeaChat forum has tons of info on sencha and all green tea.

A cool variation is to get some sencha, like Daily Sencha fro O-Cha and blend it with some matcha. Easy to do, just put a bunch of sencha in a small tin, throw in some matcha, close and shake around pretty good. Awesome and different.

Let us know how you are making out, ok?

What tea do you drink currently.

Mar 2nd, '08, 15:17

by stargazer » Mar 2nd, '08, 15:17

I drink sencha from teasetc.com and Kukicha. i work and go to school so i use jenaer glas zylindro.

I purchased tiger tea infuser thermos, samples were included ...dragonwell spring, oh ..i see gyokura jade dew was included.

at night i brew herbal tea from Aveda... very calming

+ Post Reply