Apr 23rd, '09, 16:21

First order just arrived!!! How do I train up my palate?

by Dresden » Apr 23rd, '09, 16:21

Well... I just got in my first ever loose tea order. Fast shipping and extras to boot.

In my order I received the following:

Green Tea Starter Kit (Gunpowder, Genmai Cha, Pomegranate Green, Green Pekoe)
Green Savant Sampler (Gyokuro, Dragonwell, Green Anji, Pi Lo Chun)
Black Tea Sampler (Darjeeling #22, Ceylon Sonata, Assam Melody, Keemun Concerto, Yunnan Jig, Golden Monkey)

As a bonus I also got a Red Bloom and a sample of Leo. I must say that although I haven't tasted any of the yet the smells are heavenly. Leo is quite a unique scent to me.

My question is, what is the best way for the newly initiated loose tea drinker to train up their palate so that they can recognize all those lovely adjectives that people like to throw around when talking about teas? It can all be quite overwhelming to the newbie.

Anyone?

Cheers,
Mike

Apr 23rd, '09, 16:41

Re: First order just arrived!!! How do I train up my palate

by olivierco » Apr 23rd, '09, 16:41

Dresden wrote:
My question is, what is the best way for the newly initiated loose tea drinker to train up their palate so that they can recognize all those lovely adjectives that people like to throw around when talking about teas? It can all be quite overwhelming to the newbie.

Anyone?

Cheers,
Mike
Even after many years of teadrinking, I don't feel the the need to "lovely" adjectives to enjoy tea.

I stayed on a like/don't like categorization. Easy and clear.

Here are all (I guess) the adjectives I use to qualify tea a little more precisely.
Excellent, nice, good, just decent, bad, sweet, astringent, bitter, grassy, floral, fruity, smoky, clear and complex.

Apr 23rd, '09, 17:11

by kymidwife » Apr 23rd, '09, 17:11

My untrained palate thought all the black teas tasted very similar at first... but I was taking them with sugar and sometimes cream. After I started tasting them side by side, unsweetened, just the tea... I was able to start to identify the characteristics I'd heard mentioned by others here. I also learned to really appreciate the pleasure of tasting the tea, so I stopped sweetening all unflavored teas. It's a journey. :)

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Apr 23rd, '09, 17:12

by chamekke » Apr 23rd, '09, 17:12

I agree with Olivier.

There are four stages involved in wine tasting: examining the appearance, experiencing the aroma, actually tasting the liquid, and experiencing the aftertaste. That's not a bad approach to take with tea, too. You can also hold the tea in your mouth, "swish it around", etc. so as to ensure that it hits all the taste buds.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 23rd, '09, 17:15

by entropyembrace » Apr 23rd, '09, 17:15

And like Sarah says don't add anything to your tea, it will mask all the subtle flavours. Good quality loose leaf tastes great on it's own anyway. :)

Apr 23rd, '09, 17:30

by woozl » Apr 23rd, '09, 17:30

Make two or more small cups of similar teas and try side by side to see if you can taste some differences.
“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.
“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone: “so I ca’n’t take more.”
“You mean you ca’n’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

Apr 23rd, '09, 17:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Apr 23rd, '09, 17:47

Side by side comparison is great for getting to know teas quickly. I prefer to drink endless amounts of the stuff one at a time.

Apr 23rd, '09, 20:41

by Pentox » Apr 23rd, '09, 20:41

So much of the tea drinking experience is comparative. So start drinking and think about what you're tasting. And as you move down the line think about how each relates to each other and remember that this is all just one remarkable plant.

Apr 23rd, '09, 20:56

by tenuki » Apr 23rd, '09, 20:56

I would recommend drinking it and paying attention.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Apr 23rd, '09, 21:38

by bsteele » Apr 23rd, '09, 21:38

tenuki wrote:I would recommend drinking it and paying attention.
haha simple and to the point.

I was going to recommend to just drink, drink, drink and sooner than you think, you'll start to taste/recognize things differently than initially.

Apr 23rd, '09, 22:14

by hooksie » Apr 23rd, '09, 22:14

In my opinion, drink for the enjoyment of the tea. The refined palette will come with time.
We were fated to pretend.

Apr 23rd, '09, 23:00

by auggy » Apr 23rd, '09, 23:00

hooksie wrote:In my opinion, drink for the enjoyment of the tea. The refined palette will come with time.
Ditto. It will take a little time to start picking out flavors (or at least it did for me and seems to for others). And I suggest that after about 6 months or so of drinking tea, retry some of the teas you didn't like at first. Your tastes will change as you get more familiar with tea and you'll notice the subtitles more.

Apr 23rd, '09, 23:30

by bsteele » Apr 23rd, '09, 23:30

To get the real secrets of training your palate to become an expert in 6 easy steps, just send a self-addressed stamped enveloped with a check or money order for $39.95 to...

:wink:

Apr 24th, '09, 01:21

by hooksie » Apr 24th, '09, 01:21

bsteele wrote:To get the real secrets of training your palate to become an expert in 6 easy steps, just send a self-addressed stamped enveloped with a check or money order for $39.95 to...

:wink:
... well? Go on...

Apr 24th, '09, 06:25

by CutieAgouti » Apr 24th, '09, 06:25

I guess this really isn't training but remember to experiment with different steep times, temps, etc. A few times I disliked a certain tea only to find out that my methods were "poor" or needed tweeking (e.g. roobios for 7-10 min, otherwise it's not so good).

And have fun!! :D

+ Post Reply