Aging YanCha


Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Aging YanCha

Postby beachape » Aug 6th, '09, 01:56

I remember reading that some yancha takes to aging. Does this just mean that I can leave them in the sealed bag and they'll be fine for several years, or does this require some sort of special conditions (like pu er)?

Reason I ask is that Ive got a bunch of 08 yancha that I won't finish anytime soon. If it gets better with age then I want to make sure I'm doing it right.
User avatar
beachape
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Jan 26th, '

Re: Aging YanCha

Postby wyardley » Aug 6th, '09, 02:02

There are a bunch of threads about this already.

Like everything, opinions vary, and it also depends how the tea was processed. Most people would say that generally speaking, you don't want the tea to be as open to the air as pu'er. I think a fairly well sealed ceramic or solid metal jar (or a sealed, but not vacuum packed bag) is probably the best way to go. Many people think it's a good idea to re-roast the tea periodically (every 2-6 years) to get any moisture out and to prevent the tea from getting too sour.

I'd recommend searching the archives; a few to get you started.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6386
viewtopic.php?t=8713
viewtopic.php?t=6860 (second half)
viewtopic.php?t=7151
User avatar
wyardley
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Jan 11th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Aging YanCha

Postby beachape » Aug 6th, '09, 02:11

Thanks for the prompt reply. I always seem to miss the good ones when I search. Very helpful
User avatar
beachape
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Jan 26th, '

Re: Aging YanCha

Postby Maitre_Tea » Aug 6th, '09, 02:16

wyardley wrote:There are a bunch of threads about this already.

Like everything, opinions vary, and it also depends how the tea was processed. Most people would say that generally speaking, you don't want the tea to be as open to the air as pu'er. I think a fairly well sealed ceramic or solid metal jar (or a sealed, but not vacuum packed bag) is probably the best way to go. Many people think it's a good idea to re-roast the tea periodically (every 2-6 years) to get any moisture out and to prevent the tea from getting too sour.

I'd recommend searching the archives; a few to get you started.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6386
viewtopic.php?t=8713
viewtopic.php?t=6860 (second half)
viewtopic.php?t=7151


It seems like you have a lot of good threads stockpiled, how do you keep them so categorized.
User avatar
Maitre_Tea
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Sep 3rd, '0
Location: Claremont,CA

Re: Aging YanCha

Postby wyardley » Aug 6th, '09, 03:09

Maitre_Tea wrote:It seems like you have a lot of good threads stockpiled, how do you keep them so categorized.

I just search on google.
User avatar
wyardley
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Jan 11th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Aging YanCha

Postby Maitre_Tea » Aug 6th, '09, 11:00

wyardley wrote:
Maitre_Tea wrote:It seems like you have a lot of good threads stockpiled, how do you keep them so categorized.

I just search on google.


Figures, since you're always mentioning the search function a lot in your posts...maybe I should learn how to search better next time I have a question :oops:
User avatar
Maitre_Tea
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Sep 3rd, '0
Location: Claremont,CA

Re: Aging YanCha

Postby wyardley » Aug 6th, '09, 11:54

Maitre_Tea wrote:Figures, since you're always mentioning the search function a lot in your posts...maybe I should learn how to search better next time I have a question :oops:


The hard part is just knowing what to search for, and knowing that the information is there in the first place. Since I remember those threads, I can usually think of a way to search for them.
User avatar
wyardley
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Jan 11th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Aging YanCha

Postby Maitre_Tea » Sep 4th, '09, 02:51

Since I'm (hopefully) leaving with the Peace Corps sometime next year, I thought that my three years of service would be perfect for aging YanCha, especially since I'll get back in time to taste any differences, or to do a re-roast. I've perused the other threads on technique, but I was wondering what types of YanCha would be the best candidate for aging. I know that high-fired is a thumbs-up but what else should I look for?

It seems to me that Shui Xian and Tie Luo Han are very popular candidates for aging, judging from the aged versions of these teas showing up most frequently. Are there any YanCha out there that would be good candidates for the aging process? Any that probably wouldn't be so great aged? (I'm thinking "lighter" YanCha like Bai Ji Guan may fall into this category). If you can, please list specific products.
User avatar
Maitre_Tea
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Sep 3rd, '0
Location: Claremont,CA

Re: Aging YanCha

Postby Intuit » Sep 5th, '09, 23:33

Wills' post listing related TC threads, first one, half way down the first page:

"See also some vendors' opinions on how to age oolong properly / what type of oolongs age well."

Containers for aging oolongs:
http://teamasters.blogspot.com/2006/09/ ... olong.html
viewtopic.php?t=8713

Oolong candidates for aging (oily teas, coaxed with a bit of roasting)
http://houdeblog.com/?p=7
http://houdeblog.com/?p=8

See also BubbaTeas post on crockpot roasting to refresh oolongs:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10411
Intuit
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Dec 17th, '

Re: Aging YanCha

Postby TIM » Sep 8th, '09, 22:25

User avatar
TIM
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 2042
Joined: Apr 4th, '0
Location: NYC

Re: Aging YanCha

Postby Proinsias » Jul 18th, '10, 16:43

*bump*
TIM wrote:A Must See Wuyi tea 4 Parts doc.:

http://english.cctv.com/program/e_docum ... 1184.shtml


Missed this the first time around and just found it whilst searching around here for something else.

Reckon it warrants a bump just incase anyone else missed it.

Thanks Tim

more here:

http://web.search.cctv.com/enprosearch. ... ewsenvideo
Proinsias
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mar 19th, '
Location: On the couch

Re: Aging YanCha

Postby JustinW » Jul 18th, '10, 23:38

Yes, I remember watching this. It's a great documentary. A very delayed "thank you T!"
User avatar
JustinW
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Feb 1st, '0


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation