New favorite oolong help!!!

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Aug 15th, '09, 22:44

New favorite oolong help!!!

by KillaWatt » Aug 15th, '09, 22:44

:shock: Well my favorite Oolong as of right now believe it or not is from Teavana and it is the Tung Ting Jade Oolong. They are discontinuing it soon and Im pretty pissed about it actually. Its a Tawanese tea with a nice floral undertone and I am looking for something comparable flavor/aroma and price wise. It goes for $14/2oz. Any help would be greatly apperciated. I dont know if this would be of any help but here it the teavana webpage for this particular tea.

http://www.teavana.com/The-Teas/Oolong- ... ng-Tea.axd

Aug 15th, '09, 22:50
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: New favorite oolong help!!!

by Chip » Aug 15th, '09, 22:50

Oolong 18 from Adagio has some of those traits. Their Ali shan does as well, but I am guessing the 18 is closer to the mark.

Aug 16th, '09, 00:21

by entropyembrace » Aug 16th, '09, 00:21

Tung Ting is also known as Dong Ding and Jade signifies that it's unroasted or only lightly roasted...I'm not sure what the best sources are for this type of tea but knowing the alternate names should help you find one :)

Aug 16th, '09, 03:15

by tenuki » Aug 16th, '09, 03:15

Hard to know without tasting the tea - a lot of different tea is being called dong ding nowdays...

Aug 16th, '09, 03:19

by Victoria » Aug 16th, '09, 03:19

Since it seems Adagio is out of stock, you might try this one from Tao of Tea:
http://www.taooftea.com/detail2390-Bamb ... olong.html

Here is a Jade from Bird Pick:
http://www.birdpick.com/110094.html

Aug 16th, '09, 10:58

by Tead Off » Aug 16th, '09, 10:58

entropyembrace wrote:Tung Ting is also known as Dong Ding and Jade signifies that it's unroasted or only lightly roasted...I'm not sure what the best sources are for this type of tea but knowing the alternate names should help you find one :)
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying about different names for Dong Ding, but, in Taiwan, you have both light and heavier roasted Dong Dings. The darker roasted teas really change the flavor profile but can offer up some very interesting teas. Personally, I prefer a lighter Dong Ding.

Aug 16th, '09, 15:53

by ABx » Aug 16th, '09, 15:53

Dong Ding and Tung Ting are just two different Romanizations (English spellings) for the same name. Chinese sounds don't always translate directly, and the real pronunciation is sort of a mix between the two.

The chances are that you would like most Taiwan high-mountain oolong. You might check out Floating Leaves and Hou De - they're a couple of the best American vendors for high-mountain oolong.

Aug 17th, '09, 10:42

by kymidwife » Aug 17th, '09, 10:42

I also recommend Oolong 18 when it comes back in stock... a nice option for a nicer price than Teavana.

Also... my first taste of a Tung Ting Jade was a sample from a fellow Teachatter, purchased from SpecialTeas. In general, I think SpecialTeas doesn't get a great rep for oolongs, but I think their Jade is really good, and it really turned me on to greener oolongs.

As a side note, there has been some past speculation that some of the exact same teas from Teavana are available from SpecialTeas. Not sure if this is the same as the Jade from Teavana, but it is very similar.

http://www.specialteas.com/Oolong-Tea/T ... olong.html

Aug 19th, '09, 15:16

by JPX » Aug 19th, '09, 15:16

camellia sinensis have some Tung ting.

i really loved the '95 one.
also loved the '09 one.

+ Post Reply