Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Feb 18th, '15, 10:10

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Haddemall » Feb 18th, '15, 10:10

Oh man, I love that glaze. Hopefully more of those pots reappear one day........

Feb 18th, '15, 10:14

by wert » Feb 18th, '15, 10:14

shuixian2 (640x480).jpg
shuixian2 (640x480).jpg (29.91 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
Drinking some shuxian. Happy New Year!

Feb 18th, '15, 15:17

by JRS22 » Feb 18th, '15, 15:17

debunix wrote:I did ask with true curiosity--he's such a creative potter that I can easily imagine a golden pot with lighter fittings inspiring the title 'palomino'.
That's how I understood your post. I do own a shawn shib that is a warm unglazed brown on the outside and is lightly glazed on the inside with white that might merit being called a palomino. I'm much better with dog coat colors than horses.

Feb 19th, '15, 17:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Feb 19th, '15, 17:27

Happy Lunar New Year!
Zhongcha DHP AAAAA

Mar 3rd, '15, 09:14
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Mar 3rd, '15, 09:14

In Singapore and I just picked up a 125g cardboard can (not a box, not a tin) of Sea Dyke Oolong (AT130) on impulse, because I've never tried any Sea Dyke. Bought at Mustafa Centre. Worked out to around $4.50 USD.

Drinkable, but nothing to write home about, and the leaves look pretty chewed up. It does have the sweet/sour taste and interesting fruitiness, but something unpleasant lurks in the background. It's better than nothing!

Gotta make it to Pek Sin Choon and Koh Kian Huat before I leave for some better stuff. I'm leaving a cheap gaiwan and cups here for future visits.

Mar 3rd, '15, 10:54

by kyarazen » Mar 3rd, '15, 10:54

welcome to singapour~~

Mar 3rd, '15, 12:18
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Mar 3rd, '15, 12:18

Thanks, I didn't know you were from SG!

Mar 4th, '15, 18:19

by shah82 » Mar 4th, '15, 18:19

Yesterday, I had some laocong shui xiang that didn't make that cut to be sold at white2tea. It had some of that metal character that I really do not like, and I am not sure I find any of the qi I'd expect from a LCSX. However, the metal was reduced in only a couple of brews, and this tea did do a good job of generating yancha aftertaste in the mouth. This is one of the less plummy shui xiangs I've had, and some cups were pretty close to coffee. Not that I drink yancha very much at all. Not sure how high fired it would be considered. I brewed it puerh style. I also had trouble sleeping because of it, very high in caffeine.

I think this is worth having, especially for free (in the sense that I'm not going dump it in some corner where I hope I never have to try and make a good cup). However, I think this would be really good in half a decade so I may try and age it, but I did get more yancha than I ever usually have on hand, so I may well drink it when I want a mug of something, in the way I'd drink Assams or Qimen. Yeah, for me, yancha and puerh are acceptable substitutes for each other.

Mar 5th, '15, 00:07
Vendor Member

by ethan » Mar 5th, '15, 00:07

reading posts about oolongs that are mediocre at best, leads me to mention recent experience with Thai oolongs:

a milk oolong: very simple w/flavor matching the promise of its mild floral aroma. best w/ eye on keeping temperature low enough & time short

another oolong w/ the same aroma of its dry leaves that has no taste to match that aroma. the very simplest green oolong flavor very easily ruined w/ > than 90 seconds of steeping or very hot water

at about US$3.50 for 100 grams, these are okay for cheering me up in my hotel room when pollution & heat discourage me from going out

Mar 5th, '15, 09:21

by AT333 » Mar 5th, '15, 09:21

A nice aged dayuling. Very nice and smooth, full body and swwweeeet :mrgreen:

Mar 5th, '15, 11:11

by Titan » Mar 5th, '15, 11:11

last night tried a free sample of Medium Roast TGY from Norbu that they very kindly included with my most recent order. Have to say that i was liked it more than I expected. I tend to gravitate towards the more high fired TGY's. So I brewed the 7g sample (which is a little less leaves then I would have used otherwise) in my small Gaiwan, water just off the boil and steeps ranging for 20 to 45 seconds. It was a really fun tea. Sweet honey notes, with only the slightest roasted taste, with just a touch of citrus bitter on the end. Lasted 7 or 8 steeps, and could probably could have gone on with longer steeps. May have to order me some.

Mar 13th, '15, 21:24
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Mar 13th, '15, 21:24

Rougui from Lam Kie Yuen here in HK. Greener than I expected and reminds me of dancong, but less sweet. Good tea, though, and quite enjoyable. I also bought their better shui xian ahd will give it a whirl next. Off to Cambodia on Sunday and I'll take some tea and a gaiwan along.

Tried the SX. Lighter roast than I'm used to, but it tastes amazing. I can actually taste more cinnamon in the SX than the rougui...go figure. Both have sweet, fruity flavors with good aroma. I'm happy.

I taste orchid in the SX. Both teas remind me of dancong.

Mar 15th, '15, 18:18

by the_economist » Mar 15th, '15, 18:18

2013 Winter DYL, Origin Pick. This is now a mellow tea, very sweet.

Mar 21st, '15, 15:21

by the_economist » Mar 21st, '15, 15:21

Drinking on the job: 2004 Shuixian from Origintea. Chocolate with some plum.

Mar 21st, '15, 19:41

by AFOL » Mar 21st, '15, 19:41

Traditional Tieguanyin from Verdant Tea--from Master Zhang's November 2014 harvest. My brother was remarkably generous and gave me a large bag of it for my birthday. Floral, sweet, mellow, and smooth, with just a hint of astringency and roastiness. I make it only once a week to keep it special--and today I shared it with an old friend I hadn't seen for a while.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (22.48 KiB) Viewed 1168 times

+ Post Reply