Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jul 31st, '14, 22:33

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by drinking_teas » Jul 31st, '14, 22:33

debunix wrote:Splendid session with Gui Feng oolong from Norbu--love that fruity sweetness, and that is so forgiving of 'grandpa style' brewing in my thermos (toss in leaves, add hot water, forget for an hour, then enjoy all afternoon).
Gui Fei is incredible grandpa-steeped.

Aug 6th, '14, 20:02

by Baci15 » Aug 6th, '14, 20:02

Trying baozhong for the first time. I ordered an ounce of it from floating leaves along with some shanlinxi (whch I'll be trying later). It's delicious, started off a tad vegetal probably due to water that was too hot, but with lower temp water it is wonderful and creamy. Pretty viscous and I noticed that the sweetness was more on the tongue and less teeth/lips than some ali shan I've been enjoying recently. In later steeps it's become a little lighter and smoother, and the sweetness is appearing on the teeth and lips now.

Very appealing to my developing and still untrained palate. I only ordered an ounce, but maybe I'll get some more next time I order from Floating Leaves.

Aug 12th, '14, 14:34

by debunix » Aug 12th, '14, 14:34

Some Rou Gui from Norbu, from a Seigan blue Hagi....

Spicy/earthy tasty and pretty too.

Aug 13th, '14, 06:07

by Risdt » Aug 13th, '14, 06:07

https://flic.kr/p/oF5opC

Some teas that I brought from Taiwan. Most of it are charcoal roasted teas or high oxidations from Chen HuangTan in Taipei or friends in Mingjian, Nantou. I was amazed by teafarmers their tasting abilities, they can even taste the weather when the tea was harvested.

Right now I'm drinking a gaoshan from Zhushan, quite heavy on the unami/vegetable flavour compared to most gaoshans.

Aug 13th, '14, 14:39

by kyarazen » Aug 13th, '14, 14:39

savouring hojo's Lao Cong Gui Hua Xiang dancong today.

a little bit of purion boiled water. one thing i like about purion is the heat retention, taken off the stove and sitting on a towel the water's still happily boiling away. waiting for the right bubble size before commencing brewing

3 grams into a 25ml chaozhou pot. i might have loved another 0.5 gram but that will affect the cha-dan, and subsequent flavour development

cha-dan expansion in action.

one steep per cup. different intensities as intended.

lovely! i would have loved to have this tea daily... if not for its scarcity/price

Aug 13th, '14, 20:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Aug 13th, '14, 20:11

very nice pictures!

Aug 13th, '14, 20:24

by William » Aug 13th, '14, 20:24

the_economist wrote:very nice pictures!
Indeed!

That lil teapot is marvelous! :shock:

Aug 14th, '14, 08:54

by Poseidon » Aug 14th, '14, 08:54

William wrote:
the_economist wrote:very nice pictures!
Indeed!

That lil teapot is marvelous! :shock:
Agreed! :shock:

This is sort of random: Do any of you have a guilty pleasure oolong? For instance, Im a sucker for certain flavored oolong. Milk oolong or Ginseng Oolongs are teas I try to always keep on hand for western or grandpa brewing. I tend to drink them passively while focusing on the higher quality teas at night while gong fu. :)
Last edited by Poseidon on Aug 15th, '14, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 15th, '14, 00:13

by daintydimsum » Aug 15th, '14, 00:13

kyarazen wrote:savouring hojo's Lao Cong Gui Hua Xiang dancong today.

lovely! i would have loved to have this tea daily... if not for its scarcity/price
I was considering getting some to try! What notes do you get from this tea? (Also, lovely lovely pictures and set up!)

Aug 16th, '14, 11:32

by debunix » Aug 16th, '14, 11:32

Yi Ho Yeong handmade Balhyocha from Morning Crane Tea--finally cleared enough other oolongs from the open group to indulge in this one.

Amazingly plummy fruity scents just on opening the bag—so surprising that I automatically looked around for some fruit that might be giving off the scent. Long twisty dark but intact-appearing leaves, mmmm.

2.4 grams of leaf in my 90 mL Seong-Il pot and water at 205 degrees to prewarm the pot…flash infusion, the plummy scent rising from the golden liquor in the Flower of Forgetfulness. And it tastes just as good as it looks and smells—sweet, delicately floral and fruity all at once, marvelous.

3rd infusion—still flash infusions and still perfectly lovely, getting a little light—probably need a touch more time for the next infusion.

I keep going for 8 to 10 infusions, delightful to the last. Next time I’ll be bolder on the leaf-water ratio—to keep the intensity going longer. Lovely, lovely stuff.

Aug 16th, '14, 22:54

by guitar9876 » Aug 16th, '14, 22:54

debunix wrote:Yi Ho Yeong handmade Balhyocha from Morning Crane Tea--finally cleared enough other oolongs from the open group to indulge in this one.

Amazingly plummy fruity scents just on opening the bag—so surprising that I automatically looked around for some fruit that might be giving off the scent. Long twisty dark but intact-appearing leaves, mmmm.

2.4 grams of leaf in my 90 mL Seong-Il pot and water at 205 degrees to prewarm the pot…flash infusion, the plummy scent rising from the golden liquor in the Flower of Forgetfulness. And it tastes just as good as it looks and smells—sweet, delicately floral and fruity all at once, marvelous.

3rd infusion—still flash infusions and still perfectly lovely, getting a little light—probably need a touch more time for the next infusion.

I keep going for 8 to 10 infusions, delightful to the last. Next time I’ll be bolder on the leaf-water ratio—to keep the intensity going longer. Lovely, lovely stuff.
I really loved this tea so much. It was my favorite of the Yi Ho Yeong teas and I wish I had more! I ended up going higher on the water to leaf ratio about 5g to 90ml and it really seemed to shine. So many infusions... It's not too often that I get to drink a totally handmade tea such as this. I really hope he offers Yi Ho Yeongs teas again because I would buy much more of this tea... :mrgreen:

Aug 17th, '14, 11:57

by kyarazen » Aug 17th, '14, 11:57

daintydimsum wrote:
I was considering getting some to try! What notes do you get from this tea? (Also, lovely lovely pictures and set up!)
not too sure if this information would be any useful to you but this is my personal type of "tea record/profiling", and the particular record for Hojo's Lao Cong guihua dancong brewed CZ style, ratio around 1g/10ml, boiling hot water, quick steeps. standard cha-dan with no crushing in the middle gives the following profile

the light green vapory notes of the tea with hints of osmanthus floats on the surface of the brew, the scent hit you just before the sip. in the mouth, these notes then transition to a dominant honeyed orchid just as the "yun" of the tea kicks in and starts to rise exponentially. the yun reaches a saturation as the mouth feels comes in on the thick lingering sweetness with a light bitter at the back of the throat.

it is possible to "save" on this tea by using half the leaf quantity if desired (since this tea is around $6/gram), compensating with a slightly longer brew time, but in my single experiment the "yun" of the tea dropped significantly to around 30%, the tea's aromatic/taste profile became a bit more central shifted, not as intense/quick, and due to the longer steep, the tail end had a little bit of roughness, which i should have discarded than have it go into a cup

Aug 17th, '14, 12:26

by kyarazen » Aug 17th, '14, 12:26

having an aged Tie luohan. was gifted by a friend.
tea was rather acidic, hard sour notes and aged notes that was re-roasted away twice before brewing. back of the steep was discarded.

not too bad :P but i still prefer young teas

Aug 17th, '14, 16:41

by the_economist » Aug 17th, '14, 16:41

Decided to have some dancong, inspired by Kyarazen. Dosage was stronger than usual, pot was almost full of dry leaves. Intense with a nice cooling sensation in the throat!

Aug 17th, '14, 16:49

by bonescwa » Aug 17th, '14, 16:49

the_economist wrote:Decided to have some dancong, inspired by Kyarazen. Dosage was stronger than usual, pot was almost full of dry leaves. Intense with a nice cooling sensation in the throat!

Love the pot!

+ Post Reply