Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 8th, '15, 01:02

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by bryan_drinks_tea » Sep 8th, '15, 01:02

I had the Tie Luo Han from tea-yuan today. Really enjoyed it! Lots of power, mineral flavors, pleasant aftertaste. Most of all, it made me feel good. Teas that make me feel good are worth it, IMHO. :D

Sep 8th, '15, 12:55

by Puerlife » Sep 8th, '15, 12:55

Today I opened my Tie Lo Han (2010) that I bought in KL. Nice. I'm finding that with my new hotplate/kettle setup I'm getting more infusions out of good tea and today was not exception--seven infusions. The last few were weak, of course, but no nastiness. I've been drinking so much tea over the last while that even fairly good teas hardly move the needle qi-wise, but this rock tea came through. Now I just have to figure out how to take a few days off to recalibrate my system. Not easy to do when you've got a new kettle, burner, yixing pot, and vintage cups. A quality problem, of course. :D

Sep 8th, '15, 14:40

by debunix » Sep 8th, '15, 14:40

Back in the slightly over air-conditioned office today, drinking some nice Lao Cong Shan traditional roast oolong from Taiwan. Happiness to be able to enjoy it piping hot.

Sep 12th, '15, 00:10

by steanze » Sep 12th, '15, 00:10

Rou gui, with Bach's lute suites (played by Luca Pianca)

Sep 12th, '15, 09:22

by theredbaron » Sep 12th, '15, 09:22

kyarazen wrote:
the rougui was yumz.
is your source/supplier able to give slightly better prices? i'm keen! or at least to buy smaller quantities to try first.

it is definitely not easy getting the good stuff, and one of the surest way to gain access is to locate the vendors and the tea groups that were present at the recent wuyi tea gathering. EOT was there, lin pin xiang and many others were there too :)

i actually like these little packets, although I would have preferred if they had included a pack of sillica gel in each pack. perhaps it is the weather here, humid all year round it is not suitable to open and re-open yancha which is most optimally stored below 5% water content. each pack is 8 grams.. just enough for one pot one session. most impressively, the vendor actually ordered metal tins that fit only one pack each, just to protect the tea and make it easy to carry around~ nice to give too.

That is about as close as tea heaven one can possibly get. I still have a tiny little box left of handmade Ro Gui from 2000, more or less the same source, which i safe for one or two special occasions, plus some Ti Lo Han and several Shui Xian from a few years ago. High time for me to go down there soon and stock up.

Right now i am testing Yunnan Sourcing's Shui Jin Gui, which is not bad at all especially when considering also the affordable price. I am quite impressed with Yunnan Sourcing's increase in quality in Yancha. His line now has some very drinkable teas for prices that can make them very pleasant every days teas, to safe the really good and expensive ones for the special days.

Sep 18th, '15, 12:34

by puerhking » Sep 18th, '15, 12:34

2015 Gold Awarded Dong Ding Oolong from Hou De for today. This has a more traditional roast on it. Definitely a refined Dong Ding. Nothing is out of kilter here. Very well balanced....all the flavors and the roast are working together. Hou De said this oolong would be in the top 5% of Dong Ding oolongs. I'll be interested to see how it changes over time. Yum.

Sep 21st, '15, 00:32

by chrl42 » Sep 21st, '15, 00:32

Drinking 105..

105 is a varietal that is used for making Hongcha (ZSXZ and JJM)..

The taste, heck, fantastic.. :shock:

Scenty and sweet as a sugar cane..the most good-priced Yancha (and drinkable) I've ever met.

Sep 21st, '15, 00:55

by debunix » Sep 21st, '15, 00:55

How was the 105 processed?

Curious because you describe it as the varietal used to make some well-known teas rather than those well-known teas; does that mean it was processed very differently--less roasted? less oxidized? more oxidized?

Sounds delicious.

I'm enjoying a happy accident: I prepared some cool-brewed oolongs as per my recent habits today, using my everyday porcelain gaiwans to brew a little bit of leaf 'concentrate', and setting them aside until I was ready to dilute with cool water to drink. This evening I decided to add the contents of a 2nd gaiwan to my large chawan that was nearly empty but for the Zhangshu lake (taiwanese green oolong, typically sweet, straw/hay/floral) leaves, and instead of adding more Zhangshu lake leaves/concentrate, I added some Jiri Mountain Hwang Cha from Morning Crane tea (a deeply oxidized, very fruity/plummy tea that is also terrific cool-brewed). The combination decreased the tartness of the Hwang Cha but gave a little extra fruitiness to the warm sweet hay of the Taiwanese green. Delicious.

Sep 21st, '15, 01:21

by chrl42 » Sep 21st, '15, 01:21

debunix wrote:How was the 105 processed?

Curious because you describe it as the varietal used to make some well-known teas rather than those well-known teas; does that mean it was processed very differently--less roasted? less oxidized? more oxidized?

Sounds delicious.

I'm enjoying a happy accident: I prepared some cool-brewed oolongs as per my recent habits today, using my everyday porcelain gaiwans to brew a little bit of leaf 'concentrate', and setting them aside until I was ready to dilute with cool water to drink. This evening I decided to add the contents of a 2nd gaiwan to my large chawan that was nearly empty but for the Zhangshu lake (taiwanese green oolong, typically sweet, straw/hay/floral) leaves, and instead of adding more Zhangshu lake leaves/concentrate, I added some Jiri Mountain Hwang Cha from Morning Crane tea (a deeply oxidized, very fruity/plummy tea that is also terrific cool-brewed). The combination decreased the tartness of the Hwang Cha but gave a little extra fruitiness to the warm sweet hay of the Taiwanese green. Delicious.
It's lightly-processed, reminds of Rou Gui, Qi Lan thingys..

Sep 21st, '15, 02:47

by debunix » Sep 21st, '15, 02:47

Yummy!

Sep 24th, '15, 07:00

by KaiRong » Sep 24th, '15, 07:00

I'm enjoying a Bai Fan Xiang dancong. Very nice, elderflower/pomelo taste, one of my favourite dancongs.

Sep 26th, '15, 18:05
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Sep 26th, '15, 18:05

Happy Midautumn Festival: mooncake and a rougui

Sep 27th, '15, 19:45
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Sep 27th, '15, 19:45

Mi Lan Xiang from hojotea .. cannot have enough of this tea! I probably drank 200 grams in a couple of weeks .. :oops:

Sep 30th, '15, 11:54

by puerhking » Sep 30th, '15, 11:54

2014 Autumn Golden Guan Yin for this morning. Over time this has become more interesting. Mineral notes have shown up with some florals combining with the mild roast. Pretty tasty.

Oct 1st, '15, 04:58

by kuánglóng » Oct 1st, '15, 04:58

I enjoyed some of my last TGY from 2001 with a friend last night - not bad at all. I bought this lot at a store in Kunming after having sipped my way through numerous different TGYs there. I had it vacuum sealed in tiny portions and it has been stored at around 15 deg. C. since then.

+ Post Reply