Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Nov 25th, '14, 09:15

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by kyarazen » Nov 25th, '14, 09:15

William wrote:
chrl42 wrote: It's amazing how old drinkers were so picky about drinking tea and teapot :D
We are still picky! :)
tea processing techniques always evolving and improving :) actually if you buy good tea leaves, the margin for "errors" in brewing is really wide, the tea is the tea master in this case.. :P

the only challenge with good tea, is not to botch it up, or develop sophisticated enough skills and understanding to "enrich" it even further with intriguing brews

Nov 25th, '14, 10:29
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 25th, '14, 10:29

+1 kyarazen PM sent to you.

One should not "need" to use a scale, timer, thermometer, & specific teaware to enjoy a good cup of tea, while attention to striving for best preparation (when one is in the mood) yields more pleasure.

Had Imperial Pearl from MT again w/ Western style preparation, but I put the leaves into the preheated teapot for about 30 seconds before adding water for the infusion. This opened up the pearls a bit & added some body & maltiness to round out the drink.

Nov 25th, '14, 21:51

by chrl42 » Nov 25th, '14, 21:51

I heard another reason for creating a 'Cha-dan (tea gall)' was to prevent the tea leaves from blocking the spout hole of a teapot..

see, the Japanese just asked Yixing potters to make a golf filter or multi-holes on Gongfu SPs in the 70s..

and the coastal Chinese rather cared about making a lid-teeth longer (late-Qing) or bulging lid (ROC)...it proves old drinkers and potters were very well communicated :D

Nov 28th, '14, 19:35
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 28th, '14, 19:35

Imperial Pearl from MT prepared gongfu style in a porcelin gaiwan: the best of the 3 ways I have prepared this tea by far. 8 good infusions w/ changes in how tart & how malty = tasty & interesting prolonged drinking. Glad I experimented.

Nov 29th, '14, 23:29

by chrl42 » Nov 29th, '14, 23:29

A heavy smog in Beijing yesterday..pm 2.5 rose to 400 ('hazardous')..

Should recover by drinking Gaoshan Alishan...in China, drinking tea is to survive...not for a hobby :(

Nov 30th, '14, 16:26

by Balthazar » Nov 30th, '14, 16:26

A Song Zhong dancong from a Taobao vendor tonight.

I've had this a few times, and it's characteristics are very enjoyable. However, I much prefer dancongs earlier in the day, and now feel too energized for the bed that awaits me in a few hours. Oh well...

Nov 30th, '14, 17:49

by puerhking » Nov 30th, '14, 17:49

Balthazar wrote:A Song Zhong dancong from a Taobao vendor tonight.

I've had this a few times, and it's characteristics are very enjoyable. However, I much prefer dancongs earlier in the day, and now feel too energized for the bed that awaits me in a few hours. Oh well...
Love those cups Balthazar.

2014 Spring Wu Dong Dancong from YS. Heavy peach aroma in the brewed tea...also in the taste...with even a bit of nectarine. Roast is subdued but adds something to the experience. Only thing I can nit pick at is that it can be a little drying on the palate in later brews. Pretty good outing for such a reasonably priced dancong.

Nov 30th, '14, 19:46

by ChaShiFu » Nov 30th, '14, 19:46

just started to brew some Baijiguan... Quite modern backed, light brown and white leaves providing a fruity taste and a hint of almond notes.

Dec 1st, '14, 07:15

by Balthazar » Dec 1st, '14, 07:15

puerhking wrote: Love those cups Balthazar.
Thanks. I like them a lot too, although they rarely get used. Bought at an antique shop in Shanghai, one of many nice tea things procured by my girlfriend :)

Dec 2nd, '14, 18:50

by mganz42 » Dec 2nd, '14, 18:50

Just brewed the newest October harvest Wu Ling from TeaFromTaiwan... I have to say, it's a very odd tea and I'm a little confused about what I'm tasting. Its interestingly deep, dark, introspective and mysterious; quite spicy and a little bit bittersweet... but I can't get over a sense of fishiness. I don't know if this is a bad tea or an excellent one beyond my brewing expertise.
Attachments
wu ling.png
wu ling.png (126.68 KiB) Viewed 1198 times

Dec 3rd, '14, 00:09

by Tead Off » Dec 3rd, '14, 00:09

mganz42 wrote:Just brewed the newest October harvest Wu Ling from TeaFromTaiwan... I have to say, it's a very odd tea and I'm a little confused about what I'm tasting. Its interestingly deep, dark, introspective and mysterious; quite spicy and a little bit bittersweet... but I can't get over a sense of fishiness. I don't know if this is a bad tea or an excellent one beyond my brewing expertise.
I've drunk this tea many times but haven't tried any in the last couple of years. I never noticed a fishiness. It was always one of the best teas in their lineup.

Dec 3rd, '14, 00:49

by debunix » Dec 3rd, '14, 00:49

Another wonderful session with Huang Guan Yin, a lovely Wuyi oolong from Norbu with abundant 'rock' quality. I'm already wishing I'd bought more of this one to stock up.....

Dec 3rd, '14, 03:53

by wert » Dec 3rd, '14, 03:53

Tried the "long-forgotten-mystery-oolong-from-the-cupboard" last night.
Sadly, I have to conclude it isn't very good tea, not quite lasting or interesting. It is passable but nothing that one would look forward to.
(480x640).jpg
(480x640).jpg (33.78 KiB) Viewed 1174 times

Dec 6th, '14, 10:02

by j.p.rich » Dec 6th, '14, 10:02

November 2013 Dong Ding from Teance. The year's rest has done this tea a lot of good, quite tasty this morning.

Dec 7th, '14, 11:11

by j.p.rich » Dec 7th, '14, 11:11

Could not decide what to start the day off with so in the corner of the tea cupboard was found something called "Teavana Tai Mountain Oolong". This is a leftover from when I still thought this "gateway drug" vendor still sold teas of some worth.

First steep went without too much drama, something along the lines of "well it's not too bad". The second steep, however, released the full level of toxicity from the leaves. I poured the remaining liquid over my poor Jinchan at which point he immediately began gagging.

Steeped leaves and remainder of the packet are in the hazmat container.

Flushing out my system (and that of my tea pet) with some aged sheng. Please do not call the humane society to report me.

+ Post Reply