Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 1st, '14, 12:26

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by steanze » Sep 1st, '14, 12:26

Tie luo han from 2011, purchased in a Xi'an tea shop. Strong but not bitter, long aftertaste. Could be a little more complex, but overall I can't complain.

Sep 2nd, '14, 10:35

by guitar9876 » Sep 2nd, '14, 10:35

Drinking some Tie Lou Han from Cheung Hing Tea Hong. Definitely a Hong Kong style high fire. Not overly complex but enjoyable. Anybody else try this tea before? Would be interested in your thoughts. Image

Sep 2nd, '14, 13:23

by puyuan » Sep 2nd, '14, 13:23

guitar9876 wrote:Drinking some Tie Lou Han from Cheung Hing Tea Hong. Definitely a Hong Kong style high fire. Not overly complex but enjoyable. Anybody else try this tea before? Would be interested in your thoughts. Image

Did you find it worth the money? I've seen this being sold for some 80 rmb a packet, almost got one.

Sep 2nd, '14, 13:41

by guitar9876 » Sep 2nd, '14, 13:41

Did you find it worth the money? I've seen this being sold for some 80 rmb a packet, almost got one.
Do you mean 80rmb for one of the 80 bags like this?
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a23 ... s=1#detail
I think for that price it's pretty good. :)

Sep 2nd, '14, 13:44

by puyuan » Sep 2nd, '14, 13:44

guitar9876 wrote:

That's the exact source I had in mind. :D I either misremembered or they raised the price a little.

I'll try one next time I go on a taobao spree. Thank you for the heads up.

Sep 2nd, '14, 13:57

by guitar9876 » Sep 2nd, '14, 13:57

puyuan wrote:
guitar9876 wrote:

That's the exact source I had in mind. :D I either misremembered or they raised the price a little.

Haha nice! I also have some of their TGYhttp://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z ... 7455647295
It's pretty good. A step above the Seadyke red tin TGY.

Sep 2nd, '14, 14:46

by Poseidon » Sep 2nd, '14, 14:46

It looks like I need to figure out this Tao Bao site... :lol:

Sep 2nd, '14, 19:02

by daidokorocha » Sep 2nd, '14, 19:02

Poseidon wrote:It looks like I need to figure out this Tao Bao site... :lol:
Sourcing from primary language sites is, in my opinion, worth any pain you might have to go through... Plenty of great vendors with Chinese only/Japanese only sites or stores on things like tao bao and rakuten (Japanese site).

I went out recently to my local H-Mart and picked up a Zojirushi 1 liter thermos along with a small "tea bottle" they had for $3.00 for my first day of work today. The tea bottle has a built in filter that isn't that fine but it works well with hot water because the leaves sink more, while quick cold brewing things like Japanese greens is mostly out of the question, as they come up frequently through the filter. It is doable, but it requires too much care/time.

Anyway, I made a liter of boiling water and poured it into my thermos and off to school I went. 6 hours later I went to work and still piping hot! Poured it into my tea bottle (which holds 13.5 oz/400 ML) along with 3 big teaspoons of some Dragon Tea House 40% oxidized tieguanyin and tada! This is a very convenient and lovely set up and all in all it turned out rather perfect. I feel like the more floral notes that I can get from this tieguanyin don't come through as strong with this method, but all is well. Flavor lasted through the liter and surely could continue to go on and on. Next time, I think I may try some Sea Dyke tieguanyin. I might try it at home first along with some Vietnamese Green and see how that goes. I'm not wishing I had some cheap Vietnamese high mountain oolong on hand for this. Perhaps I can get some, as I know they sell some in Chinatown, but not from brand I would prefer. Oh well, life goes on.

Sep 2nd, '14, 21:50

by Poseidon » Sep 2nd, '14, 21:50

Just had some oriental beauty to warm up after the chill the rain brought. Perfect ending to a busy rushed day.

Sep 2nd, '14, 23:14
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Sep 2nd, '14, 23:14

Cheung Hing Tea Hong is about ten minutes away! I have their Da Hong Pao.

Sep 3rd, '14, 18:57

by wyardley » Sep 3rd, '14, 18:57

guitar9876 wrote:Drinking some Tie Lou Han from Cheung Hing Tea Hong. Definitely a Hong Kong style high fire. Not overly complex but enjoyable. Anybody else try this tea before? Would be interested in your thoughts. Image
Yes, I have a bunch; I agree with your assessment. I believe that batch is likely to be from the 90s, but could be wrong, and looks like the pot is the recent (2000s) reissue?

Sep 3rd, '14, 21:09

by daidokorocha » Sep 3rd, '14, 21:09

Walking around my work building before leaving last night and discovered there is a hot water dispenser! Now I can refill my thermos since I ran out halfway through shift. Good to know.

I think I'll make some pouchong now. I'm saddened anytime someone posts da hong pao, as I have some coming in the mail and sadly it is still not here as of yet.

Sep 3rd, '14, 21:29

by guitar9876 » Sep 3rd, '14, 21:29

wyardley wrote:
Yes, I have a bunch; I agree with your assessment. I believe that batch is likely to be from the 90s, but could be wrong, and looks like the pot is the recent (2000s) reissue?
Haha nice. This tea does seem to be a little older, though I have no idea on the year. The teapot I bought from Origin tea and it's actually from the 90s. The large shuiping in the background is one of the reissues. :)

Sep 4th, '14, 01:15

by chrl42 » Sep 4th, '14, 01:15

guitar9876 wrote:
puyuan wrote:
guitar9876 wrote:

Haha nice! I also have some of their TGYhttp://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z ... 7455647295
It's pretty good. A step above the Seadyke red tin TGY.
Nice. I just added up to my shopping list :mrgreen:

btw I also like XXCH TLH, far better than the Seadyke one :)

Sep 4th, '14, 03:59

by kyarazen » Sep 4th, '14, 03:59

can anyone advice or describe what makes a good tie lo han?

+ Post Reply