Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 8th, '10, 21:49

Re: What Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by brad4419 » Mar 8th, '10, 21:49

Switching from wuyi to a more green bao zhong from rishi. This bao zhong was my first green oolong and it still surprises me how nice the orchid taste is. This is still the only green oolong I have had other than tie guan yin, so maybe I need to explore more green oolongs this spring.

Mar 8th, '10, 22:42

by entropyembrace » Mar 8th, '10, 22:42

brad4419 wrote:Switching from wuyi to a more green bao zhong from rishi. This bao zhong was my first green oolong and it still surprises me how nice the orchid taste is. This is still the only green oolong I have had other than tie guan yin, so maybe I need to explore more green oolongs this spring.
You don´t need to wait for spring...the autum and winter harvests produce some really delicious oolongs too :)

Mar 9th, '10, 23:59

by brad4419 » Mar 9th, '10, 23:59

entropyembrace wrote:
brad4419 wrote:Switching from wuyi to a more green bao zhong from rishi. This bao zhong was my first green oolong and it still surprises me how nice the orchid taste is. This is still the only green oolong I have had other than tie guan yin, so maybe I need to explore more green oolongs this spring.
You don´t need to wait for spring...the autum and winter harvests produce some really delicious oolongs too :)
Entropyembrace your so right, I was just reading around and saw that yanchas harvest is very late, like July or August :shock: I don't think I can wait that long for more oolongs. I've never had autum or winter oolongs so this would be the right time to give it a try. Jingteashop seems to have a good selection of autum and winter anxi-oolongs at a good price. Has anyone tried these yet or have any recommendations?

Mar 10th, '10, 00:31

by entropyembrace » Mar 10th, '10, 00:31

Yesh Jing Tea Shop is a good choice, I really liked their winter An Xi Rou Gui. Also Floating Leaves Tea has lots of really good winter oolongs from Taiwan, I especially like the special roast Dong Ding.

Mar 11th, '10, 12:09
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Mar 11th, '10, 12:09

This morning I am tasting two different fall Anxi TGY from Camellia Sinensis.
The first one almost 3 times the cost at $28 CAD for 50g. The second one is only $10 CAD for 50g.

This one is pretty awesome. Unfortunately. Heh.

Mar 11th, '10, 13:58

by debunix » Mar 11th, '10, 13:58

My staple Supreme Big Red Robe from Wing Hop Fung.

Always good stuff.

Mar 11th, '10, 14:35

by Maitre_Tea » Mar 11th, '10, 14:35

[quote="brad4419"
*snip* I was just reading around and saw that yanchas harvest is very late, like July or August :shock: *snip*[/quote]

I don't think it's that the harvest is late, but that many yancha undergo traditional high roasting, which requires a period of rest for the charcoal/fire to mellow out a bit. In some extreme cases, such as traditionally processed Tie Luo Han, this mellowing out process could take years...

Mar 11th, '10, 15:09

by wyardley » Mar 11th, '10, 15:09

IIRC they are harvested around March or April, but the processing isn't finished til much later.

Mar 11th, '10, 15:45
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Mar 11th, '10, 15:45

Traditionally Yan Cha is harvested in early May of solar calendar, slightly later than An Xi Tie Guan Yin. In recent decade early harvest cultivars are developed. But most people believe early harvest cultivars are not as good as tradtitional cultivars.

As for the resting of Yan Cha, I don't think it requires years. Although some may develop better taste over years, usually 1-2 months rest makes it very good to drink. A few tea professionals told me, if a tea is not rested enough in a few months, it means the roasting process was not perfect for this tea. But I don't know if there are other tea professionals who will disagree with this statement. Besides, modern way of packaging (sealed in thick container or mylar bag) may make the resting take longer.

Mar 11th, '10, 16:14

by Victoria » Mar 11th, '10, 16:14

Having the less expensive Anxi TGY from Camellia Sinensis now, and the good news it, it is just as good. Not doing a side by side comparison, but this is mighty fine also.

Mar 11th, '10, 18:01
Vendor Member

by TIM » Mar 11th, '10, 18:01

An old 50 yrs Wuyi Shui Xian in the buffalo pot getting a steam bath and waiting to be brew for the night... or two nights. :wink:

Mar 12th, '10, 09:50

by cindyt » Mar 12th, '10, 09:50

TIM wrote:An old 50 yrs Wuyi Shui Xian in the buffalo pot getting a steam bath and waiting to be brew for the night... or two nights. :wink:
50 years! Wow!

In my cup today - Alishan oolong that my parents brought over from Taiwan. Nothing special about the tea itself, but the fact that it's from my parents makes it very special.

Mar 12th, '10, 15:11

by iannon » Mar 12th, '10, 15:11

in my cup right now Li Shan from DTH. Of the Fu Shou Shan Farm variety. completely different flavor profile from other Li Shans ive been having lately. I am actuaslly enjoying the tea I got from IShopO a little bit more as far as my taste in the flavor. I actually wrote them asking about them not having any Da Yu Ling ( its says not available) or if they had anything from Fu Shou Shan and this is what i got in reply:

"We tried some winter 2009 Da-Yu-Ling Oolongs and Fu Shou Shan Oolongs last year but none of them really met our expectations. Therefore, we decided not to have 2009 Da-Yu-Ling Oolong and Fu Shou Shan Oolong this season.
There is a good chance that we will have Da-Yu-Ling Oolong and Fu Shou Shan Oolong available this spring but it is not certain right now since we still need to sample first before we make the decision."

They replied quite promptly to my inquiry which is rather nice!

Mar 12th, '10, 15:34

by Victoria » Mar 12th, '10, 15:34

That is definitely nice! Nice to know they are choosy. Same with Shiuwen at Floating Leaves Tea. She nixed the AliShan this past spring. I hope it is up to par this year. 2008 was one of the best I have had.

In my cup right now that lesser TGY from Camellia Sinensis.

Mar 13th, '10, 18:52

by brad4419 » Mar 13th, '10, 18:52

entropyembrace wrote:Yesh Jing Tea Shop is a good choice, I really liked their winter An Xi Rou Gui. Also Floating Leaves Tea has lots of really good winter oolongs from Taiwan, I especially like the special roast Dong Ding.
Thanks entropyembrace, Im glad to here you liked the An Xi Rou Gui because that and the Anxi Yong Chun Fo Shou are the ones Im thinking about trying. I still have a lot of oolong left though so I might have to wait.

+ Post Reply