Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 12th, '10, 20:31

Re: What Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by tenuki » Jan 12th, '10, 20:31

Proinsias wrote:Some aged oolongs from J-Tea arrived today.

In my cup at the moment is a 1979 aged beauty, which I presume is the same or similar to oriental beauty. Only a few infusions in but so far so good, at this price I can see me ordering more soon. It certainly tastes like it has a good few years on it. I'll have more to say once I've made my through more of the teas and spent a bit more time playing with them. It doesn't seem to mind long brewing times, I do enjoy a forgiving aged tea to relax with.
That sounds yummy, I had a aged oriental beauty the other day from about that vintage that was pretty darn good.

I'll have to try out that vendor, been really getting into aged lately.

Jan 12th, '10, 20:53
Vendor Member

by IPT » Jan 12th, '10, 20:53

At the moment I'm drinking Li Shan Gao Shan Oolong. It has a wonderful floral aroma with a great long lating aftertaste.

Jan 12th, '10, 21:08

by beecrofter » Jan 12th, '10, 21:08

Da Ping Village Mao Xie (Hairy Crab) from Jing Tea Shop.

Jan 13th, '10, 09:14

by spittingoutteeth » Jan 13th, '10, 09:14

1987 Mucha Tie Guan Yin from Camellia Sinensis teahouse in Montreal. One of my personal favorites.

http://camellia-sinensis.com/tea/fiche/ ... n+Yin+1987

Jan 16th, '10, 23:23

by iannon » Jan 16th, '10, 23:23

Been floating back and forth between a Floating Leaves Li Shan and a Funalliance King TKY thats got an awesome orchid aroma. I tend to favor these oolongs over even my regular japanese greens in the Colder Winter Months

Jan 17th, '10, 18:31

by brad4419 » Jan 17th, '10, 18:31

Bao Zhong from Rishi today, Its a very green tasting oolong. Refreshing and does have some orchid/lilac aroma which is very nice.

Jan 20th, '10, 14:10

by spittingoutteeth » Jan 20th, '10, 14:10

Spring 2009 Shan Lin Shi...just what I needed on this cold Vermont winter day.

Jan 20th, '10, 14:14
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jan 20th, '10, 14:14

Drinking some FLT - First Place Baozhong from Winter 2008.
Still decent.
tenuki wrote:
Victoria wrote:
tenuki wrote:old grumpy winter 2009 baozhong brewed in my favorite baozhong yixing pot. this guy makes my favorite ali shan - but man, I think he might make my favorite baozhong too. the dry tea leaves are spidery, twiggy and sparse, but become soft and lush when brewed. yumwow.
Vendor info please?
Gift from a tea buyer friend. It's the same farm that makes the top grade ali shan you like so much Vic. Maybe you'll get a chance to sample some.... ;)
Hope so. I hope this year's AliShan is superior!

Jan 21st, '10, 14:04

by cindyt » Jan 21st, '10, 14:04

Heavy baked oolong from Wang De Chuan - something that I recently brought back from Taiwan. It took me forever to find a heavily baked oolong that is similar to what I grew up drinking. I am now very worried because I only got 500g. Any recommendation where I can get something similar in the U.S.?

Jan 21st, '10, 14:11

by wyardley » Jan 21st, '10, 14:11

cindyt wrote:Heavy baked oolong from Wang De Chuan - something that I recently brought back from Taiwan. It took me forever to find a heavily baked oolong that is similar to what I grew up drinking. I am now very worried because I only got 500g. Any recommendation where I can get something similar in the U.S.?
Not sure what exact kind of tea you're looking for - if you post a description and some photos, that might help, but you could have a look through these threads on medium and high-fired Tieguanyin.

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p=80640
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p=130605
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p=140308

You could also search the forums for threads about Wuyi yancha, many of which are fairly roasted.

Jan 21st, '10, 14:46

by cindyt » Jan 21st, '10, 14:46

wyardley wrote: Not sure what exact kind of tea you're looking for - if you post a description and some photos, that might help, but you could have a look through these threads on medium and high-fired Tieguanyin.
It is hard to find any description in English. Based on my own translation.. This is a tea that goes back to the old time taste, using high fire (2x the fermentation time than regular oolong). At the first taste it has the charcoal fire taste, then it has a very long, sweet finish. (It's the super long finish that attracts me!)

Thanks for the links to the previous discussions. Looks like high-fired Tieguanyin might be the way to go!!

Oh, and thanks for the quick reply. This was my first post here and I already feel lucky that I found this place.
Last edited by cindyt on Jan 21st, '10, 15:28, edited 2 times in total.

Jan 21st, '10, 15:00

by wyardley » Jan 21st, '10, 15:00

cindyt wrote: It is hard to find any description in English.
But do you know the name they call that particular the tea in Chinese? What about the tea you grew up drinking? Do you have any photos of the brewed tea or spent leaves? Is it a rolled / fist shaped tea or a wiry-shaped tea? Do the leaves unroll much after they're brewed, or do they stay pretty stiff?

The lingering aftertaste is a good sign, but I don't think you will find this with all heavily roasted teas.

"High-fire" means different things to different people, and knowing the varietal of the tea would be helpful in terms of finding something similar.

I would suggest trying Hou De's Mu Zha Tieguanyin and Fo Shou and see if that's something close to what you're looking for. Both are pretty high-fire Taiwanese teas. Both will probably improve after resting for a little longer.

Jan 21st, '10, 15:23

by cindyt » Jan 21st, '10, 15:23

wyardley wrote:
But do you know the name they call that particular the tea in Chinese? What about the tea you grew up drinking? Do you have any photos of the brewed tea or spent leaves? Is it a rolled / fist shaped tea or a wiry-shaped tea? Do the leaves unroll much after they're brewed, or do they stay pretty stiff?

The lingering aftertaste is a good sign, but I don't think you will find this with all heavily roasted teas.
The Chinese name is 安尚烏龍 - An Shang Oolong. No, it is not a rolled/fist shaped tea. It is wiry-shaped. The leaves unroll much if I remember it right. I also found a picture online but the quality is not very good. I think I'll try to take a picture myself.

The tea I grew up drinking.. It is nothing specific, but I think back then (20-30 years ago), back before light roasted high mountain tea gained its popularity, the oolong that everybody drank is medium to heavy roasted. They might not all have long lingering finish, but I remember vividly the roast flavor that they all have.

Thanks for the suggestion. I realize that it's going to take multiple tries to find the tea that I am looking for.
Attachments
tea.jpg
tea.jpg (2.83 KiB) Viewed 4465 times

Jan 21st, '10, 15:49

by wyardley » Jan 21st, '10, 15:49

cindyt wrote: The Chinese name is 安尚烏龍 - An Shang Oolong. No, it is not a rolled/fist shaped tea. It is wiry-shaped. The leaves unroll much if I remember it right. I also found a picture online but the quality is not very good. I think I'll try to take a picture myself.
Hrm - if the color of the brewed tea in that picture is accurate, it looks a little less heavy fired than I was thinking. There are some vendors that sell roasted (to varying degrees) Baozhongs which might be similar to what you're looking for. Stephane @ Tea Masters used to have a roasted baozhong (called 'shou cha', as in cooked tea) that I think is pretty good - not sure if he's still selling it, as well as a Qizhong oolong. The price for both is relatively reasonable if memory serves. Floating Leaves has a somewhat roasted Baozhong that she sells as "Taiwan Wuyi", though I think the roast on that one might be a little lower than what you're looking for. These days, the greener style baozhongs are definitely more popular / common.

Jan 21st, '10, 22:05

by Tead Off » Jan 21st, '10, 22:05

cindyt wrote:
wyardley wrote:

The Chinese name is 安尚烏龍 - An Shang Oolong. No, it is not a rolled/fist shaped tea. It is wiry-shaped. The leaves unroll much if I remember it right. I also found a picture online but the quality is not very good. I think I'll try to take a picture myself.

The tea I grew up drinking.. It is nothing specific, but I think back then (20-30 years ago), back before light roasted high mountain tea gained its popularity, the oolong that everybody drank is medium to heavy roasted. They might not all have long lingering finish, but I remember vividly the roast flavor that they all have.

Thanks for the suggestion. I realize that it's going to take multiple tries to find the tea that I am looking for.
This is the link for Wang de Chuan. http://www.taiwanfun.com/north/taipei/d ... 01Wang.htm

Why can't you order directly from them? Even ask what and where the tea comes from.

Correcting the above link:http://www.dechuantea.com/

+ Post Reply