Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 8th, '10, 22:05

Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by spittingoutteeth » Jan 8th, '10, 22:05

I'm on infusion #6 of a 1991 Ali Shan. It's a nice dessert tea; mellow but with a distinct smoky sweetness.

Jan 8th, '10, 23:30

Re: What Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by rhondabee » Jan 8th, '10, 23:30

At home I am finishing up Spring 2009 Shan Lin Xi from Floating Leaves that I really enjoy. At work I am alternating between some Jin Xuan from Floating Leaves, osmanthus oolong (peachy scent & taste) and organic jade oolong from TC tea shop, and a tin of Rishi organic Wuyi that my boss bought for me. I don't like roasted oolongs as much as unroasted, but the Rishi Wuyi has a nice tang to it that I like. The organic jade (Cuiyu) oolong is very interesting, and I'm still deciding if I really love it or not. It is so boldly in your face floral (magnolia scent?) and the first couple times I really loved the scent and taste, but some days it tastes too bold for me. I also tried a sample of Four Seasons oolong and it is very similar to the jade. Having tried all these cultivars, I believe I prefer the quing xin (?) variety of oolong.

Jan 9th, '10, 01:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jan 9th, '10, 01:26

Today I had some Spring '09 AliShan from Camellia Sinensis, it is quite excellent! I happen to be on vacation an brought it along. So glad I did. There is no good tea available here.

Jan 9th, '10, 15:48

by tenuki » Jan 9th, '10, 15:48

old grumpy winter 2009 baozhong brewed in my favorite baozhong yixing pot. this guy makes my favorite ali shan - but man, I think he might make my favorite baozhong too. the dry tea leaves are spidery, twiggy and sparse, but become soft and lush when brewed. yumwow.

Jan 9th, '10, 15:57

by brad4419 » Jan 9th, '10, 15:57

Rou Gui from dragonteahouse brewed in a yixing today, Im still experimenting with this yixing but it looks like rou gui will be its dedication.

Jan 9th, '10, 17:04

by bongoman » Jan 9th, '10, 17:04

Long Feng Xia from teafromtaiwan.com

It's my morning staple at the moment, although I tend to brew it non-gong fu style: 4.5 grams in 300ml of boiling water, sipped through the leaves.

Jan 9th, '10, 22:40

by miginaustria » Jan 9th, '10, 22:40

I am finishing up the remains of the Tea Gallery's Rou Gui I bought in the Summer. It was my first Rou Gui and it was a memorable one, so I am looking forward to trying more Rou Gui. I will have some arriving from Hou De fairly soon I hope.

Right before the TG Rou Gui I had a session with the Fou Shou (Buddha's Hand) from Floating Leaves. A lovely tea, but not very durable in the number of infusions.

Jan 11th, '10, 13:23

by LauraW » Jan 11th, '10, 13:23

Just bought a new Wuyi Oolong that I can't wait to try. I finished off the last of my Pouchang Oolong, and I no longer live near the store, so I need to find another good one.

Jan 11th, '10, 13:29

by Chip » Jan 11th, '10, 13:29

... of course you know you can always share what oolong you are drinking with everyone on TeaDay? :wink:

No oolong in my cup at the moment, but perhaps in a bit ... :mrgreen:

Jan 11th, '10, 17:25

by Victoria » Jan 11th, '10, 17:25

tenuki wrote:old grumpy winter 2009 baozhong brewed in my favorite baozhong yixing pot. this guy makes my favorite ali shan - but man, I think he might make my favorite baozhong too. the dry tea leaves are spidery, twiggy and sparse, but become soft and lush when brewed. yumwow.
Vendor info please?

Jan 11th, '10, 18:07

by Maitre_Tea » Jan 11th, '10, 18:07

I'm going to take stab at what his answer will be, judging from past experience with similar questions:

"a local vendor who doesn't deal online or through phone/mail order"

Jan 11th, '10, 18:15

by Victoria » Jan 11th, '10, 18:15

LOL, yeah, kinda what I was expecting. :)

Jan 12th, '10, 19:50

by tenuki » Jan 12th, '10, 19:50

Victoria wrote:
tenuki wrote:old grumpy winter 2009 baozhong brewed in my favorite baozhong yixing pot. this guy makes my favorite ali shan - but man, I think he might make my favorite baozhong too. the dry tea leaves are spidery, twiggy and sparse, but become soft and lush when brewed. yumwow.
Vendor info please?
Gift from a tea buyer friend. It's the same farm that makes the top grade ali shan you like so much Vic. Maybe you'll get a chance to sample some.... ;)

Jan 12th, '10, 19:51

by tenuki » Jan 12th, '10, 19:51

Maitre_Tea wrote:I'm going to take stab at what his answer will be, judging from past experience with similar questions:

"a local vendor who doesn't deal online or through phone/mail order"
Oh come on, it isn't that bad. :P At least this time it's a new one.

Jan 12th, '10, 20:19

by Proinsias » Jan 12th, '10, 20:19

Some aged oolongs from J-Tea arrived today.

In my cup at the moment is a 1979 aged beauty, which I presume is the same or similar to oriental beauty. Only a few infusions in but so far so good, at this price I can see me ordering more soon. It certainly tastes like it has a good few years on it. I'll have more to say once I've made my through more of the teas and spent a bit more time playing with them. It doesn't seem to mind long brewing times, I do enjoy a forgiving aged tea to relax with.

+ Post Reply