Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

May 1st, '13, 21:22

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by AdamMY » May 1st, '13, 21:22

This is why you need a canister management System!

So I am trying to finish off teas that seem like easy pickings that are open, and dwindling just so there is far less to move. Well I have some rather large Washi paper Canisters which their decoration screams Japanese, but they are far too large for Japanese teas. (Unless you really want to put 400 grams of Sencha into them). But as the tin screams japanese, I forgot I had a bag of Korean tea in there, I always assumed it was a tin sitting in the bin waiting to see if I ever have something acceptable for it.

So I going through my tea realized hey theres this Balhyocha in there from Dao tea from about a year before they became O5 Tea. Still tastes good but slightly lack luster.

May 1st, '13, 22:15
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » May 1st, '13, 22:15

Been drinking local (HK) higher fired TGY and SX all week. Funny, I came on here drinking shu, and now I barely drink the stuff!

May 1st, '13, 22:48

by Tead Off » May 1st, '13, 22:48

AdamMY wrote:This is why you need a canister management System!

So I am trying to finish off teas that seem like easy pickings that are open, and dwindling just so there is far less to move. Well I have some rather large Washi paper Canisters which their decoration screams Japanese, but they are far too large for Japanese teas. (Unless you really want to put 400 grams of Sencha into them). But as the tin screams japanese, I forgot I had a bag of Korean tea in there, I always assumed it was a tin sitting in the bin waiting to see if I ever have something acceptable for it.

So I going through my tea realized hey theres this Balhyocha in there from Dao tea from about a year before they became O5 Tea. Still tastes good but slightly lack luster.
I still have 2 year old balhyocha in a caddy that tastes good. Add more leaf to your pot if you think yours is losing flavor.

May 1st, '13, 22:52

by AdamMY » May 1st, '13, 22:52

Tead Off wrote:
AdamMY wrote:This is why you need a canister management System!

I still have 2 year old balhyocha in a caddy that tastes good. Add more leaf to your pot if you think yours is losing flavor.

I know Balhyocha stays for quite some time, I figure this has been open for 3 years now at least. It may have seemed lack luster becasue of too little leaf, but I used up all I had left.

May 1st, '13, 23:42

by Muadeeb » May 1st, '13, 23:42

saxon75 wrote:Just picked up some GABA oolong from Mad Monk, which the owner told me was from this spring. I haven't had GABA oolong before, and I'm not sure I will come back to it, at least not regularly. It's very sweet, with a strong honey flavor and a bit of tropical fruit. Feels kind of "thick" tasting to me. I think this might be very nice cold-brewed over ice, but hot-brewed I find it kind of overpowering.

What a huge contrast from the spring Alishan I sampled in the store. That was very light and nicely balanced, very calming, clean tasting. This one is like BOOM honey.
Oooo I can't wait to get back to Mad Monk to see what they came back with from their Taiwan trip! It figures that today was my first day at a new job where I'm not working from home anymore, so I can't make it over there until this weekend. :evil:

Give that GABA a couple more chances, maybe with some less leaf to lessen the BOOM. It's unique, but quite tasty once you find the right parameters. Thanks to its neurotransmitter-inhibiting properties, it can make you feel quite tea-drunk!

May 2nd, '13, 00:22

by debunix » May 2nd, '13, 00:22

Had a nice afternoon with some traditional roast TGY from Norbu, a very pleasant Taiwanese version. Mmmm.

May 2nd, '13, 02:43

by saxon75 » May 2nd, '13, 02:43

Muadeeb wrote:Oooo I can't wait to get back to Mad Monk to see what they came back with from their Taiwan trip!
I sat with Taylor and tried the new harvest Alishan he brought back, and it was very nice; I bought an ounce. He said he only brought back three teas with him and only 2 kilos of each--more will be shipped as it gets harvested but isn't there yet. I can't remember what the other two were, though. He also brought back some new clay pots that he was very excited about, and I was very tempted to pick one up.
Muadeeb wrote:Give that GABA a couple more chances, maybe with some less leaf to lessen the BOOM. It's unique, but quite tasty once you find the right parameters. Thanks to its neurotransmitter-inhibiting properties, it can make you feel quite tea-drunk!
My wife seems to be a big fan, so I expect I'll be coming back to it fairly often. :)

May 2nd, '13, 15:08

by Risdt » May 2nd, '13, 15:08

EoT's rou gui 2011, first test so I didn't use too many leafs. I'm having difficulties guessing amounts because I'm so used to ball shaped oolong :lol:
Next time, I'll fill up the whole gaiwan.

May 2nd, '13, 17:34
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 2nd, '13, 17:34

Enjoying my new (& only) gaiwan: on 3rd infusion of Jade Oolong from Mountain Tea. At 91C for 40 seconds (+ or - a few seconds) I'm getting a bit more flavor than I had been at lower temp & more time. Affordable, pleasant, relaxing.

May 2nd, '13, 19:34

by nw-T » May 2nd, '13, 19:34

Enjoying a 2011 Winter Muzha TGY from FLT.
Love this tea,great medium mouthfeel,strong Hui gan and great energy!
Unfortunately I'm down to a couple oz of this tea.

I really like the 2012 Spring TGY as well. A little bolder and similar to the 2011. Luckily I have a couple bags of that!

Really looking forward to the 2013 Spring teas! :D

May 3rd, '13, 10:01

by Muadeeb » May 3rd, '13, 10:01

940883_10200396533128194_1618705186_n.jpg
940883_10200396533128194_1618705186_n.jpg (44.47 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
I'm making my way through a couple sample packs from Tea From Taiwan. The Long Feng Xia one is my favorite so far. I didn't find the Da Yu Ling to be worth the extra cost. Almost done tasting the rainbow....

May 4th, '13, 17:57

by debunix » May 4th, '13, 17:57

Medium TGY from Mountain Tea, and my 3rd infusion was particularly nice--summer warm mountain meadow, grass turning gold, a few late flowers sweetening the breeze.....mmm....

And especially nice in the new gaiwan from Greenwood Studio. Loving my new little brewing vessels from Shawn.

May 4th, '13, 21:47

by tenuki » May 4th, '13, 21:47

Some nice DHP.

May 4th, '13, 21:57

by amaranto » May 4th, '13, 21:57

Trying Shui Xian (Wuyi) from different vendors to see where I will be ordering my daily Shui Xian in the future.

May 4th, '13, 22:05

by tenuki » May 4th, '13, 22:05

amaranto wrote:Trying Shui Xian (Wuyi) from different vendors to see where I will be ordering my daily Shui Xian in the future.
that sounds fun - please share your results!

+ Post Reply