Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 4th, '14, 06:30

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Tead Off » Sep 4th, '14, 06:30

kyarazen wrote:can anyone advice or describe what makes a good tie lo han?
There should be a rich sweetness and aroma. But the sweet quality should not hide the mineral taste which can be complex. Too much roast will usually be sweet. It is usually not chocolatey like a SX. TLH is one of my favorite teas. Tea Hong has a very good one.

Sep 4th, '14, 15:46

by BW85 » Sep 4th, '14, 15:46

Tead Off wrote:
There should be a rich sweetness and aroma. But the sweet quality should not hide the mineral taste which can be complex. Too much roast will usually be sweet. It is usually not chocolatey like a SX. TLH is one of my favorite teas. Tea Hong has a very good one.
Does tea hong have a different site for Asia? Or do they give it a different name? I've never seen a TLH listed on there store, and I've had most of their yan cha

Sep 4th, '14, 19:01

by drinking_teas » Sep 4th, '14, 19:01

Roasted Hehuanshan from Floating Leaves. Very well-executed light roast on an oolong, very sweet, buttery, and slightly toasty. Recommended to anyone who liked Origin's light roasted stuff.

Sep 5th, '14, 00:41

by Tead Off » Sep 5th, '14, 00:41

BW85 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
Does tea hong have a different site for Asia? Or do they give it a different name? I've never seen a TLH listed on there store, and I've had most of their yan cha
Oh sorry, I should have said JK Tea. I changed phones and my notes were on the old phone. Their zhengyan TLH was very good. I thought it was better than YS and TU TLH. Their prices are good, too.

Sep 5th, '14, 00:46

by BW85 » Sep 5th, '14, 00:46

Tead Off wrote:
BW85 wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
Oh sorry, I should have said JK Tea. I changed phones and my notes were on the old phone. Their zhengyan TLH was very good. I thought it was better than YS and TU TLH. Their prices are good, too.
Oh well that's good to know as well! I've been considering ordering some of JK's yan cha. The prices are good for daily drinking tea

Sep 5th, '14, 13:11

by kyarazen » Sep 5th, '14, 13:11

Tead Off wrote: There should be a rich sweetness and aroma. But the sweet quality should not hide the mineral taste which can be complex. Too much roast will usually be sweet. It is usually not chocolatey like a SX. TLH is one of my favorite teas. Tea Hong has a very good one.
hmm.. that should be expected since TLH is made from the qi-zhong specie, whilst shuixian is the other major branch, but what makes a TLH a TLH in terms of its profile, and one TLH to be graded better than another TLH, or to be distinguished from other yanchas along the qi-zhong branch?

Sep 5th, '14, 13:23

by Tead Off » Sep 5th, '14, 13:23

The complexity and depth of mineral flavors. I'm not good describing what this is and how would you be able to understand what I taste? After tasting many, you'll notice the difference. Plus, there is the firing. It really changes the tastes. Try one from each of the vendors I mentioned.

Sep 5th, '14, 19:59

by chrl42 » Sep 5th, '14, 19:59

kyarazen wrote:
Tead Off wrote: There should be a rich sweetness and aroma. But the sweet quality should not hide the mineral taste which can be complex. Too much roast will usually be sweet. It is usually not chocolatey like a SX. TLH is one of my favorite teas. Tea Hong has a very good one.
hmm.. that should be expected since TLH is made from the qi-zhong specie, whilst shuixian is the other major branch, but what makes a TLH a TLH in terms of its profile, and one TLH to be graded better than another TLH, or to be distinguished from other yanchas along the qi-zhong branch?
I think you are bringing it to too deeply.

I merely mentioned XXCH to be better than Seadyke. The difference between 2 commercial teas is simpler than to describe.

It's about liveliness and balance, plus uniqueness of TLH bushes.

I am not going as far as Yanyun for this price.....also firing is done more skillfully..a bit more complex than Seadyke.

I am rather more curious to hear why Seadyke can be better than XXCH, or why XXCH to be no better than the Seadyke one :D

Sep 6th, '14, 11:42

by bonescwa » Sep 6th, '14, 11:42

40 year old bhaozong, it tastes the way a garden smells after a storm. I'm surprised how a tea like this has such a strong taste and aroma, even when dry, and some brand new teas are almost odorless

Sep 6th, '14, 14:34

Re:

by drinking_teas » Sep 6th, '14, 14:34

bonescwa wrote:40 year old bhaozong, it tastes the way a garden smells after a storm. I'm surprised how a tea like this has such a strong taste and aroma, even when dry, and some brand new teas are almost odorless
where'd you get it from?

I had a 1972 (42y/o) one a while back, and your description is spot on. Very herbal, grassy, delicious.

Sep 7th, '14, 14:34

by wert » Sep 7th, '14, 14:34

Drinking some roasted oolong with mooncakes.
mooncakes.jpg
mooncakes.jpg (28.15 KiB) Viewed 1404 times

Sep 7th, '14, 15:12

by daidokorocha » Sep 7th, '14, 15:12

Mooncakes are one of my favorite things to have with tea... let the cravings begin.

Sep 7th, '14, 23:32

by Tead Off » Sep 7th, '14, 23:32

wert wrote:Drinking some roasted oolong with mooncakes.
mooncakes.jpg
me, too!

Sep 8th, '14, 05:13

by kyarazen » Sep 8th, '14, 05:13

heavy roast mid oxidation dancong (shuixian breed) with lotus paste/walnut mooncakes

月圆玉饼庆中秋 (happy moon cake festival!)

Sep 9th, '14, 11:59

by Teaism » Sep 9th, '14, 11:59

Tea travelling now in northern Malaysia for a week. Was lucky today to sample a genuine Beidou no 1, from a Teahouse old stock. Really enjoyable with balanced bitterness. I wish I could take over brewing the tea as the manager of the Teahouse did a averagely job brewing the treasured tea with hit and misses.

Anyway, the price is too high for my budget, US$180/100gm so I am happy just with the free sample. Anyway, they said it is a just treat for me as I know them for more than 12 years already.

Had some good other good find, a lovely early 90s Liu Ann and 2005 Toucha Jiǎjí at very good price. It nice to explore out of place teahouses in small towns for overlooked treasure.

The search continues for the next few days......wish me luck :D

Cheers! :D

+ Post Reply