Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

May 24th, '15, 00:38
Vendor Member

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by jayinhk » May 24th, '15, 00:38

Roast aged baozhong. Tastes like sweet dates...really deep date flavor from my zini shuiping. Incredible.

May 30th, '15, 22:02

by PurplePotato » May 30th, '15, 22:02

'Oolong Tea' (that's all the label says) from Oregon Tea Crafters today. A tea which gains instant and fully underserved hype from the fact that it's from not only the USA, but also the same state I live in. Also has a 5-27-14 harvest date on the sample bag, which shows that I've manage to forget about this tea for far too long. I only had five grams to play with, which is less than my 100ml gaiwan and I prefer, but the tea does nicely all the same, with a long sweet aftertaste and some cooling. Pleasant and comforting, and an obvious contrast to all of the (youngish) puer I've been chugging lately.

Interestingly, the leaves vary quite a bit in their color, ranging from quite green to rather reddened. Which didn't really seem to matter too much, as the taste was't too complex.

May 31st, '15, 07:58
Vendor Member

by ethan » May 31st, '15, 07:58

PurplePotato,

$18.75 for one once! $3.75 for 5 grams! The premium for a mediocre tea grown in the USA is much > the extra $ asked for a normal-tasting potato because it is purple.

Jun 1st, '15, 14:13

by PurplePotato » Jun 1st, '15, 14:13

ethan wrote:PurplePotato,

$18.75 for one once! $3.75 for 5 grams! The premium for a mediocre tea grown in the USA is much > the extra $ asked for a normal-tasting potato because it is purple.
I like your valuation scale. But I should clarify. My forum name professes love not for the charlatan potatoes that are purple on the outside, but then are plain old normal potato on the inside. It's the one's that are purple all the way through that get me jonesing. And hey, I thought the tea was better than mediocre - it had at least some purple on the inside :lol:

Jun 1st, '15, 14:22

by bonescwa » Jun 1st, '15, 14:22

But even the potatoes that are purple all the way through taste like the same as the ones that don't lol

Jun 1st, '15, 15:56

by PurplePotato » Jun 1st, '15, 15:56

bonescwa wrote:But even the potatoes that are purple all the way through taste like the same as the ones that don't lol
Interesting. I think there is an obvious difference. For what it's worth, I'm talking about the "All Blue" varietal (why someone named it 'blue' I'll never understand).

Jun 1st, '15, 20:46

by shah82 » Jun 1st, '15, 20:46

Oh guys, just get yourselves a taro patch.

Jun 6th, '15, 09:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jun 6th, '15, 09:22

Drinking right now some Bai Hao from 1990. Not bad, but it could be better. It is still a bit harsh after more than 2 decades, so the quality of the leaves was not that good :cry: .. but at least it has been stored exceptionally!

Jun 7th, '15, 23:04
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 7th, '15, 23:04

Shuixian from JKTeashop. Better in celadon than zini...this tea is not as intense as the shui xian I buy locally, but in celadon I get more intensity and can taste the tea better. Zini seems to rob the tea of too many of the high notes and make the tea seem bland. Interesting flavor and sweetness. I even taste dates and cocoa today.

Jun 8th, '15, 09:02

by bonescwa » Jun 8th, '15, 09:02

Rougui from floating leaves. They are new to wuyi teas. The roasting taste has definitely left... not sure about the original roast level of this one. Same pattern, very unimpressive in zini, much better in Hongni or porcelain. I don't want to believe this is a light roast rougui since it's from 2012 and the color is normal, but I'm not sure D:

Jun 8th, '15, 10:08

by Tead Off » Jun 8th, '15, 10:08

Rou Gui (Cassia Extraordinaire) from Tea Hong. Strong & deep cinnamon flavor in Zini. Long finish, packed with taste. My zini did not mute this tea at all. It seems to have brought out all its characteristics. Gongfu style with short infusions. I must have gotten at least 8 brews with more left in the pot.

Jun 10th, '15, 02:15
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 10th, '15, 02:15

Rougui from Lam Kie Yun in Hong Kong. This tea is good in my zini shuipings and better in hongni. Tried it in celadon just for comparison.

I think it is much better and much more complex in thick-walled celadon. Really excellent flavor and complexity. I think I'll stick to brewing oolongs in my celadon travel gaiwan for a little bit as I find them more to my liking this way!

Jun 10th, '15, 23:24
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 10th, '15, 23:24

Top grade 2015 baozhong. This stuff could go all day! Sweet, smooth cantaloupe.

Jun 23rd, '15, 11:55

by debunix » Jun 23rd, '15, 11:55

Working on Day 2 with some Jiri Mountain Hwang Cha from Morning Crane tea, and once again, it is a shining example of tea versatility. Yesterday evening when I got home, before things cooled down, it was still quite warm inside and out, so I filled the tree bark pot with the Jiri Mountain, brewed it up quite concentrated, and poured the result over ice. Mmm. Nice iced tea. This morning, the leaves still had more to give, so I brewed up a series of hot infusions because it's still cool enough for hot tea to be enjoyable.

I also brewed some up in a hot weather variation on grandpa style over the weekend--in a bowl, with a small amount of hot water, then diluted with some cool water and ice.

No matter how I brew it, lovely delicious fruity tea.

Jun 23rd, '15, 13:12

by wyardley » Jun 23rd, '15, 13:12

Started off today with some Wuyi bantianyao from a tea shop in Shanghai. Made a little too strong today, but still not too bad.

+ Post Reply