Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jul 26th, '16, 23:15
Vendor Member

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by jayinhk » Jul 26th, '16, 23:15

victoria3 wrote:Yes, I too consider 'adding' to a mid-grade oolong can act as a compliment to an already favorable experience. I enjoy several mid-grade oolongs from Bird Pick for easy travel in a mug, and especially when I'm working in places with new unknown types of water. I also like the idea that I can occasionally tweak and push certain flavors. With a high quality top shelf oolong I wouldn't add anything, as I wouldn't make sangria out of a 900$ bottle of wine, or a mojito out of 100 year old rhum (which I have had from Martinique, deliciously smooth like aged Port)....
100-year-old rhum! Was it a rhum agricole?

Jul 27th, '16, 00:08

by victoria3 » Jul 27th, '16, 00:08

jayinhk wrote:
victoria3 wrote:Yes, I too consider 'adding' to a mid-grade oolong can act as a compliment to an already favorable experience. I enjoy several mid-grade oolongs from Bird Pick for easy travel in a mug, and especially when I'm working in places with new unknown types of water. I also like the idea that I can occasionally tweak and push certain flavors. With a high quality top shelf oolong I wouldn't add anything, as I wouldn't make sangria out of a 900$ bottle of wine, or a mojito out of 100 year old rhum (which I have had from Martinique, deliciously smooth like aged Port)....
Yes, a friend has plantations and distilleries in Martinique in operation since the early 1900's. It took me many years to finish that bottle, only sipping small quantities with select friends. Mind blowingly smooth.

Jul 27th, '16, 01:06
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 27th, '16, 01:06

victoria3 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
Yes, a friend has plantations and distilleries in Martinique in operation since the early 1900's. It took me many years to finish that bottle, only sipping small quantities with select friends. Mind blowingly smooth.
I would be very interested in rhum from Martinique for my stash. Rhum is my favorite spirit! :)

For those who aren't rum nerds, a rhum agricole is distilled from sugarcane juice vs molasses. With Saint James (a distillery in Martinique), I can taste some of the fresh sugarcane character. I'm not sure if that is because they add some juice back to the bottle, but it is lovely stuff and great value.

Jul 27th, '16, 02:12

by victoria3 » Jul 27th, '16, 02:12

jayinhk wrote:
victoria3 wrote:
jayinhk wrote:
I would be very interested in rhum from Martinique for my stash. Rhum is my favorite spirit! :)

For those who aren't rum nerds, a rhum agricole is distilled from sugarcane juice vs molasses. With Saint James (a distillery in Martinique), I can taste some of the fresh sugarcane character. I'm not sure if that is because they add some juice back to the bottle, but it is lovely stuff and great value.
Not sure of what you had, my friend's is HSE, previously Saint Etienne, and what he gave me was from the cellar tasted like very old Cognac going towards Porto but not so sweet...oh it's been a while, but definitely super smooth rounded crazy special.

Jul 27th, '16, 10:23
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jul 27th, '16, 10:23

Must criticize myself for writing about teas after only session: Revisions below after drinking them w/o feeling like a contest judge & w/ better preparation.

Qin-Jing from Taiwan: When drinking lots of excellent tea the same day, this tea did not stand out so much. Devoting some singular attention to this, shows it is very good indeed. One would be happy to have such a good green oolong. I enjoyed 2nd & 3rd sessions that I had w/ this tea.

Xiang-Fe from Yunan: This has the taste of a touch of roasting & is not green though not really a roasted tea. It fits into a unique niche. Because it is light & fairly simple, one might not be impressed. However, calmly giving the tea due respect, it is very pleasing. If I did not have a lot of variety, this would be in regular rotation.

Alishan (Taiwan of course): This tea is wonderful like the dayuling I got in January. It does not provide as many infusions & is slightly simpler, but what a beautiful fresh taste that refreshes the drinker! This comes from 1600 meters high but is so much like tea that comes from land 700 - 900 meters higher.

Please note: Initially I infused all of these teas too long. 15 seconds is enough time for most infusions & > 30 seconds definitely too much time. The 2 green oolongs from Taiwan are also tasting significantly better w/o a lid on. Whether using a porcelain bowl or glass, both teas come out better prepared w/o a lid over them & stirring may even improve taste. (This may not be objective as looking at beautiful leaves gets this drinker truly ready to enjoy.)

I don't know the prices of these teas. I am not even sure whether I can buy them & if I can, in what quantities. (Find out in October) If I can, I am very likely to buy the gaoshan from Taiwan & am laughing at myself for my initial reaction when I thought them excellent but not for me.

Jul 27th, '16, 12:06

by debunix » Jul 27th, '16, 12:06

ethan wrote:Must criticize myself for writing about teas after only session
I think it's quite reasonable to write about first impressions, making clear where the brewing conditions might have an undue influence on the results, e.g., 'I've been drinking so much young puerh that the glow around this oolong might just be the contrast'; or 'even though brewing was rushed today, I was so excited that I wanted to put this out there now' or 'will report back when I have more time to attend to the details of brewing, because I think this tea has more to give than I got from it today.' And then do come back and revise your reports if you have a very different experience next time.

Jul 27th, '16, 12:22

by daidokorocha » Jul 27th, '16, 12:22

Personally I prefer when people continually come back and give their impressions of the same tea. We all, as tea drinkers, can relate to the process. Ethan, depending on how my stocks are come October, I may be interested in that alishan if available.

Yesterday, I had my first sessions with the Dong Ding and the Fushoushan yesterday, with the fushoushan first and the dong ding afterwards in succession. I didn't use too much leaf this time, as I didn't want to use too much tea before I let it rest. I used 200F/93C on both. Let me just say, I am very happy with both of them. I do not feel that I brewed the either in the best way, but as the dong ding was second, I feel that I brewed it much better. Perhaps for that reason, I especially enjoyed the dong ding. It tastes like everything I think of when I think of "oolong". Spice, fruit, honey. The flavor lingers forever in the mouth. Not sure if I'll touch them again for at least a few days, though tempting.

Jul 27th, '16, 21:59
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 27th, '16, 21:59

daidokorocha wrote:Personally I prefer when people continually come back and give their impressions of the same tea. We all, as tea drinkers, can relate to the process. Ethan, depending on how my stocks are come October, I may be interested in that alishan if available.

Yesterday, I had my first sessions with the Dong Ding and the Fushoushan yesterday, with the fushoushan first and the dong ding afterwards in succession. I didn't use too much leaf this time, as I didn't want to use too much tea before I let it rest. I used 200F/93C on both. Let me just say, I am very happy with both of them. I do not feel that I brewed the either in the best way, but as the dong ding was second, I feel that I brewed it much better. Perhaps for that reason, I especially enjoyed the dong ding. It tastes like everything I think of when I think of "oolong". Spice, fruit, honey. The flavor lingers forever in the mouth. Not sure if I'll touch them again for at least a few days, though tempting.
The dongding can take 100C without any bitterness--I gave it boiling water for every infusion. I really liked it. Five infusions and I can probably still squeeze out a few more today, after a 24-hour rest (I couldn't handle anymore caffeine).

Jul 28th, '16, 01:59

by daidokorocha » Jul 28th, '16, 01:59

jayinhk wrote:
daidokorocha wrote:Personally I prefer when people continually come back and give their impressions of the same tea. We all, as tea drinkers, can relate to the process. Ethan, depending on how my stocks are come October, I may be interested in that alishan if available.

The dongding can take 100C without any bitterness--I gave it boiling water for every infusion. I really liked it. Five infusions and I can probably still squeeze out a few more today, after a 24-hour rest (I couldn't handle anymore caffeine).
I'll hit it with 100 next time I give it a go. I really liked it as well and got much more than five out of it even with the very little leaf I used, so I am positive you'll be able to get much more out of it. What do you plan on doing for the fushoushan in terms of temperature?

Jul 28th, '16, 02:45
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jul 28th, '16, 02:45

daidokorocha wrote:
jayinhk wrote:

I'll hit it with 100 next time I give it a go. I really liked it as well and got much more than five out of it even with the very little leaf I used, so I am positive you'll be able to get much more out of it. What do you plan on doing for the fushoushan in terms of temperature?
Fushoushan can take 100 comfortably. Too light though, IMO. Only got six out of the DD but that's normal with a 24 hour rest.

Jul 29th, '16, 11:25

by debunix » Jul 29th, '16, 11:25

After this morning's hot sencha, I'm enjoying some cool-brewed Milk Oolong from Bird-Pick Tea. I was doing a serial-cool brew session two evenings ago, and realized that I was done for the evening before the leaves were. So the remaining leaves were herded into my thermos, covered with some more water, and left until this morning, cool but sweet and floral and rich. Very nice.

Aug 3rd, '16, 21:30
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 3rd, '16, 21:30

Spring 2015 Shan Lin Xi, using Kyarazen's parameters--6g/100ml modern zhuni, one minute first infusion. Very vegetal in the first infusion. Second gave me canteloupe with the vegetal character. Huigan, umami and pleasant light bitterness. Really quite nice. I didn't realize just how much leaf I was actually using in the past--closer to 18-20g per 100 ml (hence the flash infusions). That gave me some serious flavor, intensity and every infusion was good until I just couldn't take anymore. Drinking with much less leaf gives me a lot less caffeine and corresponding nervousness, although I do miss the complexity from a very stuffed pot!

Aug 4th, '16, 06:35

by Haddemall » Aug 4th, '16, 06:35

jayinhk wrote:Spring 2015 Shan Lin Xi, using Kyarazen's parameters--6g/100ml modern zhuni, one minute first infusion. Very vegetal in the first infusion. Second gave me canteloupe with the vegetal character. Huigan, umami and pleasant light bitterness. Really quite nice. I didn't realize just how much leaf I was actually using in the past--closer to 18-20g per 100 ml (hence the flash infusions). That gave me some serious flavor, intensity and every infusion was good until I just couldn't take anymore. Drinking with much less leaf gives me a lot less caffeine and corresponding nervousness, although I do miss the complexity from a very stuffed pot!
With that amount of tea it gives little room for leaf expansion, no....

Aug 4th, '16, 07:44
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Aug 4th, '16, 07:44

Haddemall wrote:
jayinhk wrote:Spring 2015 Shan Lin Xi, using Kyarazen's parameters--6g/100ml modern zhuni, one minute first infusion. Very vegetal in the first infusion. Second gave me canteloupe with the vegetal character. Huigan, umami and pleasant light bitterness. Really quite nice. I didn't realize just how much leaf I was actually using in the past--closer to 18-20g per 100 ml (hence the flash infusions). That gave me some serious flavor, intensity and every infusion was good until I just couldn't take anymore. Drinking with much less leaf gives me a lot less caffeine and corresponding nervousness, although I do miss the complexity from a very stuffed pot!
Yes, but makes for good infusions for several days, with or without the full expansion of the leaves. I remember drinking SLX for three days back in 2012 or so--it went from savory to sweet (main course to dessert) over those three days. Pretty incredible!

Aug 4th, '16, 15:33

by Haddemall » Aug 4th, '16, 15:33

jayinhk wrote:
Haddemall wrote:
Yes, but makes for good infusions for several days, with or without the full expansion of the leaves. I remember drinking SLX for three days back in 2012 or so--it went from savory to sweet (main course to dessert) over those three days. Pretty incredible!
I'll try it sometime, jay.

+ Post Reply