Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oct 26th, '14, 07:41

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Bef » Oct 26th, '14, 07:41

Cescoz1 wrote:My favourite Oolong is the Da Hong Pao one, but I also appreciate the Shui Xian which has a more roasted taste. I prepare it with the Gaiwan, according to the traditional Gong Fu Cha chinese method of preparing tea. I can assure you feel a different taste!!! Lateley I spotted a new online shop that sells really good quality teas from China: nannuoshan.org
They sent me free samples so I could taste the tea before buying! very kind and professional.
Spam.

Oct 29th, '14, 12:05
Vendor Member

by ethan » Oct 29th, '14, 12:05

Drinking high-fired TGY that jayinhk sent to me some months back. I find it interesting that some of the high-fired oolongs taste burnt. This one gives a hint of that, not too much, though there is not much else to taste. A good tea to have between rounds of much more complex tea.

Oct 29th, '14, 12:44

by Tead Off » Oct 29th, '14, 12:44

ethan wrote:Drinking high-fired TGY that jayinhk sent to me some months back. I find it interesting that some of the high-fired oolongs taste burnt. This one gives a hint of that, not too much, though there is not much else to taste. A good tea to have between rounds of much more complex tea.
A well roasted oolong shouldn't leave that burnt taste in your mouth. I've had some high fired oolongs that were fabulous, sweet and deep. There is really an art to the roasting.

Oct 29th, '14, 13:19

by Poseidon » Oct 29th, '14, 13:19

Tead Off wrote:
ethan wrote:Drinking high-fired TGY that jayinhk sent to me some months back. I find it interesting that some of the high-fired oolongs taste burnt. This one gives a hint of that, not too much, though there is not much else to taste. A good tea to have between rounds of much more complex tea.
A well roasted oolong shouldn't leave that burnt taste in your mouth. I've had some high fired oolongs that were fabulous, sweet and deep. There is really an art to the roasting.
I need some of that oolong!

Oct 29th, '14, 16:41

by Balthazar » Oct 29th, '14, 16:41

Speaking of fine oolongs, I followed drinking_teas's reccomendation and ordered some stuff from Floating Leaves. The "Muzha Tieguanyin 2012" is really nice, incredible depth and sweetness (particularly in the first four infusions or so). The lid of the yixing pot that was used still smelt heavenly many hours after the last steeping.

Oct 29th, '14, 17:40
Vendor Member

by ethan » Oct 29th, '14, 17:40

Teadoff, I agree that a well-roasted tea won't give the burnt taste. I don't really want that burnt flavor; yet, it's okay sometimes. When I am drinking rounds of wonderful complex teas, a simple tea may work the same as a bit of sorbet does between courses of gourmet food. A tea w/ burnt or heavy vegetal flavor may be just the right tea for me then; although, other times I may not finish drinking one small cup.
I have 2 concerns: mostly to maximize enjoyment of my better teas & to get some benefit from my worst teas.
I am interested in the routine of others, the order of what teas you drink. Begin day w/ black, have oolong after lunch? etc.

Oct 29th, '14, 22:18

by Tead Off » Oct 29th, '14, 22:18

For me, there is no routine. I just brew what I'm in the mood for and that could change daily. It might also depend on what I have on hand and whether I need to go through samples that I've got.

Oct 29th, '14, 23:10

by drinking_teas » Oct 29th, '14, 23:10

Balthazar wrote:Speaking of fine oolongs, I followed drinking_teas's reccomendation and ordered some stuff from Floating Leaves. The "Muzha Tieguanyin 2012" is really nice, incredible depth and sweetness (particularly in the first four infusions or so). The lid of the yixing pot that was used still smelt heavenly many hours after the last steeping.
Glad you enjoyed it :) I'm always happy to recommend stuff.

I wasn't able to try that one, but I did try the cheaper 2012 Muzha Tieguanyin (Daily Drinker) and it was excellent. Finished the bag off the other day, might need to restock. The Charcoal Dong Ding is another great dark roast oolong from them.

Oct 30th, '14, 02:39

by debunix » Oct 30th, '14, 02:39

ethan wrote: I am interested in the routine of others, the order of what teas you drink. Begin day w/ black, have oolong after lunch? etc.
I nearly always start with something green or a green oolong in the morning; but anytime after the first session, anything goes. I just find the darker/deeper teas less appealing at the start of the day, but perfectly soothing at the end of the day.

Oct 31st, '14, 05:44

by Noonie » Oct 31st, '14, 05:44

debunix wrote:
ethan wrote: I am interested in the routine of others, the order of what teas you drink. Begin day w/ black, have oolong after lunch? etc.
I nearly always start with something green or a green oolong in the morning; but anytime after the first session, anything goes. I just find the darker/deeper teas less appealing at the start of the day, but perfectly soothing at the end of the day.
+1

And, when eating a light dinner I may have a green tea with dinner, or just after (gyokuro, or maybe sencha).

Nov 1st, '14, 11:15

by heliospace » Nov 1st, '14, 11:15

Some green TGY out of the lil' froggy this AM. I got this TGY from Mandala, where my tea journey started. So I made a purchase recently to show my thank you for the craziness that they started me on. :-) It is tealicious!

Nov 1st, '14, 22:57

by hopeofdawn » Nov 1st, '14, 22:57

Am currently enjoying some lovely baked oolong from Seattle's Best Tea--almost two years old now, but still has a lovely deep aroma and flavor profile. (Sadly, I'm at work and drinking out of a thermos, so no pretty tea pictures to share. :( )

Nov 2nd, '14, 11:09

by debunix » Nov 2nd, '14, 11:09

Starting the day with last night's traditional roast TGY from Norbu, a 2009 tea that makes a lovely morning tea as the late infusions tend towards gentle sweetwater. My Seong Il pot has been a bit neglected of late, but brewed up a splendid two-part session free of all bitterness.

Nov 2nd, '14, 16:39

by j.p.rich » Nov 2nd, '14, 16:39

1986 Lishan from the Urchin. It's been a while but am reminded why this is the best aged oolong I've experienced. By a large margin.

Nov 4th, '14, 21:44

by chrl42 » Nov 4th, '14, 21:44

Zheng Yan Que She, quite fragnant and durable in brewing.. :)
Attachments
IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG (43.06 KiB) Viewed 1236 times

+ Post Reply