Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Sep 21st, '14, 12:55

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by chrl42 » Sep 21st, '14, 12:55

steanze wrote:Nice... hong ni? I wonder if the low fired hongni has that little extra porosity that fits yancha well...
Yeah, and there are only Hongni SPs during 50s~CR period.

Sep 21st, '14, 13:20

by kyarazen » Sep 21st, '14, 13:20

chrl42 wrote:Drinking high-fired Wuyi Star DHP...been comparing in a 50s low-fired SP and CR high-fired SP, both 3-cup size.

50s one serves clearly better, it's just an idea that wood-fired Yixings match better with Yancha.
which base seal is your 50's SP? any pictures to share of the seal?

Sep 21st, '14, 14:09

by steanze » Sep 21st, '14, 14:09

chrl42 wrote:
steanze wrote:Nice... hong ni? I wonder if the low fired hongni has that little extra porosity that fits yancha well...
Yeah, and there are only Hongni SPs during 50s~CR period.
Learned a new thing :) thanks

Sep 21st, '14, 21:11

by chrl42 » Sep 21st, '14, 21:11

kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote:Drinking high-fired Wuyi Star DHP...been comparing in a 50s low-fired SP and CR high-fired SP, both 3-cup size.

50s one serves clearly better, it's just an idea that wood-fired Yixings match better with Yancha.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (39.29 KiB) Viewed 1698 times

Sep 21st, '14, 22:03

by kyarazen » Sep 21st, '14, 22:03

chrl42 wrote:
kyarazen wrote:

good stuff. si jiao xi hui tou cheng.
do you happen to have come across the "gao tang po" 高汤婆 with such a seal from this era? been hunting for one.

Sep 21st, '14, 23:12

by BW85 » Sep 21st, '14, 23:12

Chrl42 or anyone who knows: what does that seal translate to? I have it on an 80's zhuni shuiping.

Sep 21st, '14, 23:26

by wert » Sep 21st, '14, 23:26

BW85 wrote:Chrl42 or anyone who knows: what does that seal translate to? I have it on an 80's zhuni shuiping.
Ji Xi (another name for Yixing) Hui Meng Chen(Surname and name) Zhi (made)
In essence, it means made by Hui Meng Chen in Ji Xi.

The seal don't mean much, it is used(different styles) all the way from 20th century to current day.

Chrl42: Please share the pot instead of just the seal, should be a handmade pre factory shuiping, I think.

Sep 22nd, '14, 00:10

by chrl42 » Sep 22nd, '14, 00:10

kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
kyarazen wrote:

good stuff. si jiao xi hui tou cheng.
do you happen to have come across the "gao tang po" 高汤婆 with such a seal from this era? been hunting for one.
Maybe Japan. Gao Tang Po is a pretty rare stock...it's not something easy to see in the mainland, maybe even in Taiwan.

Sep 22nd, '14, 00:14

by chrl42 » Sep 22nd, '14, 00:14

wert wrote:
BW85 wrote:Chrl42 or anyone who knows: what does that seal translate to? I have it on an 80's zhuni shuiping.
Ji Xi (another name for Yixing) Hui Meng Chen(Surname and name) Zhi (made)
In essence, it means made by Hui Meng Chen in Ji Xi.

The seal don't mean much, it is used(different styles) all the way from 20th century to current day.

Chrl42: Please share the pot instead of just the seal, should be a handmade pre factory shuiping, I think.
Later, the pic was I took another day...

Ya, it's Peng Gai. Some call it 3~40s, but it's clearly mould-used. IMO, it's of the first batch of SP made by the Factory-1.

Sep 22nd, '14, 00:55

by kyarazen » Sep 22nd, '14, 00:55

but if the pot is seen to be right, or assumed to be right since the owner knows yixing materials, then the seal can be informative to the "era" or can be appreciated based on how the early makers played with word characters.

荆溪惠孟臣制 = jing1 xi1 hui4 meng4 chen2 zhi4
which means made by Hui Meng Chen of Jing Xi (old name of yixing)
these pots are not made by Meng Chen since Meng Chen's from the qing dynasty, his name was used because he did popularize a certain style of small yixing pots.

i'm far from an expert on this, if you need more information you can always approach wert or others whom have been playing with these items for a much longer time than i think i have been. :mrgreen:

Sep 22nd, '14, 00:58

by kyarazen » Sep 22nd, '14, 00:58

chrl42 wrote: Maybe Japan. Gao Tang Po is a pretty rare stock...it's not something easy to see in the mainland, maybe even in Taiwan.
uncommon in japan too.. having a couple of scouts there and one of them reported a piece of it, around 9 cup size, asking 1k+... so i'm still considering. taiwan collectors are all hoarding gao tang po.. those available either have chips or some defect here and there.

oops. off topic.

Sep 22nd, '14, 01:52

by chrl42 » Sep 22nd, '14, 01:52

kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote: Maybe Japan. Gao Tang Po is a pretty rare stock...it's not something easy to see in the mainland, maybe even in Taiwan.
uncommon in japan too.. having a couple of scouts there and one of them reported a piece of it, around 9 cup size, asking 1k+... so i'm still considering. taiwan collectors are all hoarding gao tang po.. those available either have chips or some defect here and there.

oops. off topic.
Korean old Yixing collectors are usually very forgiving when it comes to defects (like cracks, breakage).

I'd fix or mend them to use anytime if a pot is right. :)

Sep 23rd, '14, 13:36

by JRS22 » Sep 23rd, '14, 13:36

These cool morning create a preference for Yancha. I began this tea session steeping the first few infusions in a tiny yixing pot that I originally bought for puerh. No half-handmade Yancha from EOT could possibly have all these unpleasant flavor notes so I transferred the wet leaves to my Seong-il onggi hobin. Delicious complex tea, as it should be.

Sep 24th, '14, 15:14

Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Chris418 » Sep 24th, '14, 15:14

Last sip of the Da Hong Pao i Had from camellia sinensis.

Any recommandation for good Da Hong Pao?
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09 ... 5a6771.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09 ... eea693.jpg

Sep 25th, '14, 08:28

by Poseidon » Sep 25th, '14, 08:28

Ive had SO much oolong tea the past few hours. I started off with a gaiwan of medium roasted dong ding oolong, followed by another gaiwan of oriental beauty. Now im sipping a high roast wuyi oolong. Its been a great night/morning! :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply