Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Dec 29th, '14, 08:01

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Rui » Dec 29th, '14, 08:01

Formosa Oolong Toppest tea from Schwarzenbach in Switzerland.

Dec 29th, '14, 12:56
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Dec 29th, '14, 12:56

Bought some cheap Thai tea at a supermarket in Phuket, Thailand four or five years ago. Found the box lurking at the back of a cabinet in the kitchen. Not a word of English on it--just Thai and Chinese. I decided to open it up (sealed bag in cardboard). When I tried tea from the same manufacturer back then, I brewed it way too strong as I wasn't really into tea at the time, and it was an unpleasant experience.

This time...amazing. Tastes like shui xian, but different. Nothing fancy, but plenty drinkable, although a little garlicky along with the sweet/floral oolong flavors in the first infusion, which was weird.

It seems both Myanmar and Thailand have fermented green teas that perform and taste much like Chinese oolongs for very little money--you just have to find 'em. It's what the locals drink.

Jan 2nd, '15, 08:58

by Rui » Jan 2nd, '15, 08:58

Drinking Iron Goddess of Mercy for the first time. It is yummy.

Jan 2nd, '15, 09:52

Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by debunix » Jan 2nd, '15, 09:52

Dark brown traditional roast, or deep green light roast?

Jan 7th, '15, 19:18

by The Pepper Assassin » Jan 7th, '15, 19:18

I'm drinking San Lin Xi from Red Blossom. It is my current daily drinker, and I like the balance it has. About 20% oxidized, beautiful color, body, aroma, and taste. I usually lose track of the steepings around five or six, but this one lasts quite a while.

Jan 8th, '15, 01:05
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jan 8th, '15, 01:05

Dongding from Taipei airport. From a restaurant chain called King Ping. Not bad, and it has changed since I bought it two years ago.

Jan 11th, '15, 12:13

by debunix » Jan 11th, '15, 12:13

Lots of oolong recently: while congested with a cold, drinking lots of not-so-fancy teas like the Sea Dyke TKY, and shu puerhs, because I can't taste the nuances of the finer oolongs or shengs.

Jan 12th, '15, 12:29

by puerhking » Jan 12th, '15, 12:29

Drinking Wu Dong Chou Shi Dancong from Yunnan Sourcing today. This is a very peculiar tea. Green leaves with light green stems. Visually it kind of reminds me of a rough karigane. It has that classic dancong flavor with a kind of TGY or Baozhong greeness about it. My biggest complaint is that it has no finish. The start and middle are tasty enough but then it drops right off. Not quite sure what to think about it. Perhaps a little age will improve it.

Jan 12th, '15, 12:40

by kyarazen » Jan 12th, '15, 12:40

puerhking wrote:Drinking Wu Dong Chou Shi Dancong from Yunnan Sourcing today. This is a very peculiar tea. Green leaves with light green stems. Visually it kind of reminds me of a rough karigane. It has that classic dancong flavor with a kind of TGY or Baozhong greeness about it. My biggest complaint is that it has no finish. The start and middle are tasty enough but then it drops right off. Not quite sure what to think about it. Perhaps a little age will improve it.
i've heard from friends in chaozhou that dancong is affected by the "greener" oolong movement :( its not felt locally where i am at the moment as mid oxidation/high roasts are still imported.

Jan 12th, '15, 14:36

by BW85 » Jan 12th, '15, 14:36

kyarazen wrote:
i've heard from friends in chaozhou that dancong is affected by the "greener" oolong movement :( its not felt locally where i am at the moment as mid oxidation/high roasts are still imported.
Though I do enjoy most of my oolongs on the more oxidized and roasted side of the spectrum, dancongs are the single type that I prefer more lightly processed. The more roasted ones that I've tried were kind of boring... But then, maybe they were poor examples and I just need to find a better high fired dancong

Jan 12th, '15, 20:33

by kyarazen » Jan 12th, '15, 20:33

BW85 wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
Though I do enjoy most of my oolongs on the more oxidized and roasted side of the spectrum, dancongs are the single type that I prefer more lightly processed. The more roasted ones that I've tried were kind of boring... But then, maybe they were poor examples and I just need to find a better high fired dancong
the margin of error is quite narrow for the lightly processed ones, the aroma speaks for it, but this is a tea that i would definitely stick strictly to CZ gongfu style with a small flattish pot.

Jan 19th, '15, 09:37

by kyarazen » Jan 19th, '15, 09:37

having a lovely rougui xiang dancong :)~ yumz... i'm liking it over wuyi rougui for the cinnamon note

Jan 19th, '15, 10:53

by debunix » Jan 19th, '15, 10:53

A few leaves of Ali Shan oolong from Norbu, enjoyed grandpa style in Petr's
Flower of Forgetfulness bowl....

(the photo is not from today, but from a previous session)

Jan 19th, '15, 13:03

by drinking_teas » Jan 19th, '15, 13:03

kyarazen wrote:having a lovely rougui xiang dancong :)~ yumz... i'm liking it over wuyi rougui for the cinnamon note
it seems like (for my personal taste) the cinnamon note would work better in a dancong based on my experiences w. wuyi rougui. i need to pick some up to try.

Jan 21st, '15, 07:32

by wert » Jan 21st, '15, 07:32

Just opened up a pack of Tie Luo Han. Nice fruity notes with good thickness.
IMG_20150121_180649 (640x480).jpg
IMG_20150121_180649 (640x480).jpg (30.95 KiB) Viewed 1369 times

+ Post Reply