Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Oct 18th, '14, 08:04

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by wert » Oct 18th, '14, 08:04

img_20141018_123239-resized-640.jpg
img_20141018_123239-resized-640.jpg (37.16 KiB) Viewed 1492 times
Listening to the comments, I used a gaiwan to compare. It has been sometime since so I might just be stating the obvious.

There is a couple of things I noticed.
1)I forgotten how convenient it is to use a gaiwan. It is so much less fussy to use and clean.
2)In a gaiwan, it would need a longer steep time, typically more than 30 seconds. I suspect that is due to the temperature.
3)Even with a long steep, the body is noticeably thiner. The aroma comes off easily off the lid, but the brew itself is far less interesting.
4)I feel that I can get more brew out of the leaves in a yixing.

All in all, personally I feel using a pot gives me more satisfaction.

Oct 18th, '14, 09:19

by Tead Off » Oct 18th, '14, 09:19

Yes, gaiwan is very convenient and good for testing new teas. I also like dancong teas in Yixing, but some of them are actually better in a gaiwan. It really depends on the tea. Some of the more powerful dancong need clay to balance them. Some need a gaiwan to bring out the aroma. Horses for courses, as the Brits say.

Oct 19th, '14, 11:34

by kyarazen » Oct 19th, '14, 11:34

just had a huge bbq meal... great time to have some dancong.

charcoal roasted wudong milan dancong @ 5g/60ml

Oct 20th, '14, 01:09

by chrl42 » Oct 20th, '14, 01:09

kyarazen wrote:just had a huge bbq meal... great time to have some dancong.

charcoal roasted wudong milan dancong @ 5g/60ml

Made by Xu Xi-hua? anyways, nice pot! :)

Oct 20th, '14, 08:03

by wert » Oct 20th, '14, 08:03

Tead Off wrote:Yes, gaiwan is very convenient and good for testing new teas. I also like dancong teas in Yixing, but some of them are actually better in a gaiwan. It really depends on the tea. Some of the more powerful dancong need clay to balance them. Some need a gaiwan to bring out the aroma. Horses for courses, as the Brits say.
I have to say that I am very new to dancong, this is only the 4th or 5th I ever tried. Certainly not coming anywhere close to suggesting which is a better way.

Even for this particular dancong, I think I need to try a few times more before having any meaningful conclusion. I don't have that level of consistency in brewing as the other members here with 20-30 years of experience and expertises. So, my experience with each of the sessions could be muddled by other factors too.

Oct 22nd, '14, 13:20

by Poseidon » Oct 22nd, '14, 13:20

Lately ive been sipping on a cake of 2008 Da Hong Pao I got from Royal Tea Bay. Its a little death roasty but its not horrible. It only brews for about 4 good steeps and then it gives up. Not bad for an after dinner roast tea to help sleep! :lol:

Oct 22nd, '14, 21:00

by j.p.rich » Oct 22nd, '14, 21:00

Enjoying a 2011 EoT Zhu Lian Dancong. I am sad to no longer find this tea on their website as it is my favorite of the Half-Handmade offerings and my stocks are getting dangerously low. :(

Oct 23rd, '14, 01:00

by achyle » Oct 23rd, '14, 01:00

Tead Off wrote:
achyle wrote:I'm drinking the Bai Ji Guan from Jingteashop, this tea has been sold out more than a year ago, I still have few grams left.
Oh man I love this tea, so relaxing, a bakery tasting in your mouth, I wish I had bought more of this one, at this price it was a steal.
I also like Bai Ji Guan. Really different from the other yanchas. For me, it is actually close in flavor to Japanese teas but with a Wuyi depth and mineral flavor. I buy mine at JKtea. I'd be interested to compare Jing, JK, and Teahong's. JK's is priced very well, IMO.
Interesting thought on the Bai Ji Guan.
I tried JKtea as well a while back, was pleased with what I had, I think it's a bit better than JTS, I have to try again but I don't think I got their BJG.

Oct 23rd, '14, 01:09

by achyle » Oct 23rd, '14, 01:09

j.p.rich wrote:Enjoying a 2011 EoT Zhu Lian Dancong. I am sad to no longer find this tea on their website as it is my favorite of the Half-Handmade offerings and my stocks are getting dangerously low. :(

Me too, I only have few grams left. It's a very good half handmade Yancha.
I have to look for a good yancha again; that means I'll order samples, spending money and by the time I decide it's sold out :x

Oct 23rd, '14, 07:44

by Tead Off » Oct 23rd, '14, 07:44

achyle wrote:
j.p.rich wrote:Enjoying a 2011 EoT Zhu Lian Dancong. I am sad to no longer find this tea on their website as it is my favorite of the Half-Handmade offerings and my stocks are getting dangerously low. :(

I have to look for a good yancha again; that means I'll order samples, spending money and by the time I decide it's sold out :x
What kind of yancha do you like? Maybe I can make a few suggestions.

Oct 24th, '14, 00:22

by debunix » Oct 24th, '14, 00:22

After a session of Da Hong Pao, made a little brisker than usual by it being the end of a large bag with many fines, I'm enjoying the mellower end of traditionally roasted oolongs with 2011 You Hua Xiang from TeaHabitat. Mmm floral fruity Dan Cong....shining from my Chao Zhou pot and Shyrabbit's In Praise of Shadows cup.

Oct 24th, '14, 08:42

by Poseidon » Oct 24th, '14, 08:42

After a week of less than stellar tea time, I went full tea drunk last night. I had a pot of Imperial Pearl, Da Hong Pao, Some unknown dark roast oolong, and the last of my organic high mountain oolong.... I was nice and floaty when I made my way to bed! :lol:

Oct 24th, '14, 20:38

by achyle » Oct 24th, '14, 20:38

Tead Off wrote:
achyle wrote:

Your help is greatly appreciated, thank you. :D
I like them when they have a hint of sourness and minerals.

Oct 24th, '14, 23:40

by Tead Off » Oct 24th, '14, 23:40

achyle wrote:
Tead Off wrote:
achyle wrote:

Your help is greatly appreciated, thank you. :D
I like them when they have a hint of sourness and minerals.
But, which yancha do you seek out?

Oct 26th, '14, 05:46

by Cescoz1 » Oct 26th, '14, 05:46

My favourite Oolong is the Da Hong Pao one, but I also appreciate the Shui Xian which has a more roasted taste. I prepare it with the Gaiwan, according to the traditional Gong Fu Cha chinese method of preparing tea. I can assure you feel a different taste!!! Lateley I spotted a new online shop that sells really good quality teas from China: nannuoshan.org
They sent me free samples so I could taste the tea before buying! very kind and professional.

+ Post Reply