Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Nov 15th, '15, 23:27

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Frisbeehead » Nov 15th, '15, 23:27

Zacherywolf7 wrote:Twice roasted Spring Dong Ding from floating leaves:http://www.floatingleavestea.com/index. ... cts_id=270

Its oolongs like these that make me wonder why I even drink puerh. It smells like honey and baked goods but the thing that makes it go above and beyond is how it goes down the throat. It is the best throat feeling I have ever experienced I want to say. It is so thick and voluptuous and makes it so incredibly endearing and brings up a rich thick honey aftertaste. The first sip I took I was instantly relaxed. Totally drinkable now. I have 60 grams of the three roasted being aged for what I plan to be a couple years, can't wait. The price can't be beat either.
Ugh I really shouldn't spend any more money right now... :mrgreen:

I love the teas she has.

Nov 20th, '15, 20:38

by kuánglóng » Nov 20th, '15, 20:38

Taking a break from the yanchas with some 20+ year old roasted TGY in the recently re-aquired Yixing pot. Nothing I'd kill for but a mellow, surprisingly flowery blast from the past that needs a bit of a heavy hand to wake up. Next time I'll confront it with a stream of steam from the Isomac (if I remember where I put that old monster).

Nov 21st, '15, 09:04
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 21st, '15, 09:04

zacharywolf's description of a wonderful dong ding got me to thinking about those dong ding's that I had had (roasted or not) & I remembered none being so good. Talked it over w/ some people.

Result was Vee at Tea-Village in Pattaya, thailand served me a charcoal-roasted oolong that he won't call dong ding because it is Thai & not Taiwanese. Nonetheless, it indeed was like Zacharywolf's description of an excellent roasted dong ding.

Tea-Village does not sell this. I did get to buy some bai hai from 2013 which was the tea I praised in this thread about 1/2 year ago, & I bought 2015 from same source but Vee warned me he feels it is significantly different though not bad. I'll write about these later.

Nov 21st, '15, 10:30
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Nov 21st, '15, 10:30

Drinking right now some DD from 2013 I recently roasted (lightly) at home. Strangely, the roast brought out a faint alcoholic note in the leaves' aroma, when brewed.

Still trying to figure out what exactly reminds me ..

Nov 21st, '15, 12:08

by Tead Off » Nov 21st, '15, 12:08

Did someone say Dong Ding? Finally, Tea Hong has their 2013 back in stock. This is a tea that I've missed not having.

I also ordered Taiwansourcing's Master Dong Ding. I haven't tried this one yet so am really looking forward to trying this with winter coming to Bangkok. :D

Damn it's hot here. No let up from the heat, yet.

Nov 22nd, '15, 10:13

by Math » Nov 22nd, '15, 10:13

Had some of EOT's limited Yan Zhong Lan Yancha yesterday. That tea really is sublime. Tasty, spicy, balanced, subtle yet really refreshing. This tea would make the worlds best unsweetened ice tea I imagine.

Nov 22nd, '15, 15:43

by Zacherywolf7 » Nov 22nd, '15, 15:43

ethan wrote:zacharywolf's description of a wonderful dong ding got me to thinking about those dong ding's that I had had (roasted or not) & I remembered none being so good. Talked it over w/ some people.

Result was Vee at Tea-Village in Pattaya, thailand served me a charcoal-roasted oolong that he won't call dong ding because it is Thai & not Taiwanese. Nonetheless, it indeed was like Zacharywolf's description of an excellent roasted dong ding.

Tea-Village does not sell this. I did get to buy some bai hai from 2013 which was the tea I praised in this thread about 1/2 year ago, & I bought 2015 from same source but Vee warned me he feels it is significantly different though not bad. I'll write about these later.
In your first paragraph do you specifically mean Floating Leaves or Dong Ding's in general. If the latter, I would highly recommend trying Floating Leaves if you are able to.

Cheers!

Nov 23rd, '15, 06:25
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 23rd, '15, 06:25

I meant dong ding tea in general. Before having this last one which I enjoyed quite a lot, I liked a few but not enough to want more. (They were from Origin Tea which is out of business)

I looked at the particular tea from FLT online & saw $13.50 an ounce which is over my limit. It is a useful to know the price; so, when I come across another opportunity for such a tea, I won't mind paying what for me is a high but affordable price.

Nov 24th, '15, 01:41

by Tead Off » Nov 24th, '15, 01:41

Digging through my cabinets, I found some DHP that someone had given me some years ago. There were 2/9g packets in foil that came in each cardboard box. They called it Jin Jiang Da Hong Pao. The tea must be at least 5-8 years old. It is a good example of how Yancha mellows and ages. I encourage all to take good care of your teas and keep them in a state that allows them to age. This one was sweet, with notes of chocolate and minerals very accessible and smooth. A thickness in the mouth and a nice finish followed. The Seigan Hagi cup seemed to produce a better flavor than my standard porcelain when matched side by side. A nice treat.
Hagi and DHP.jpg
Hagi and DHP.jpg (86.71 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

Nov 26th, '15, 06:05

by Tead Off » Nov 26th, '15, 06:05

Back at the DHP and some unusual bao, Japanese style. I am having some serious doubts that this DHP is DHP. If you blindfolded me, or simply told me it was an aged Shui Xian, I would not have had another thought about it. I can't tell any difference between this and other Shui Xian except for quality. Makes me wonder how many times I've bought a particular type of Yancha and got another in its place. :shock:

Nov 27th, '15, 08:57

by Damage_c » Nov 27th, '15, 08:57

I'm Drinking... Mi Lan Xiang- Dang Cong oolong It's one of my favourites think this one was a present bought from Canton tea co. It's bizzare because the leaves are so dark almost black yet the liquor is quite pale, it's slightly bitter but with sweet notes and floral-ness. Mmmmm

Nov 27th, '15, 10:33

by kuánglóng » Nov 27th, '15, 10:33

Tead Off wrote:Back at the DHP and some unusual bao, Japanese style. I am having some serious doubts that this DHP is DHP. If you blindfolded me, or simply told me it was an aged Shui Xian, I would not have had another thought about it. I can't tell any difference between this and other Shui Xian except for quality. Makes me wonder how many times I've bought a particular type of Yancha and got another in its place. :shock:
More often than not I'd guess, same here :lol:
I've got about 10 different Shui Xian lying around here - from some cheap, aged Sea Dyke up to some exquisite Lao Cong SX. No matter how much roasting they've gone through they all share some common characteristics. Only one Lao Cong doesn't fit in at all; it's stunningly complex and the first two steeps smell and taste more like some resinous nepali weed than yancha. OTOH about half of my DHP have more in common with the typical SX than with the authentic, hand-made DHP's I've gotten from more reliable sources.

Nov 28th, '15, 13:41

by debunix » Nov 28th, '15, 13:41

More Huang Jin Gui from Anxi via Norbu. Still touchy and changeable and hard to describe, delicately sweet first infusion with a little bit of earthy, very pleasant.

Nov 29th, '15, 04:39
Vendor Member

by ethan » Nov 29th, '15, 04:39

John B. & I got together in Bangkok on Thanksgiving. Had some great teas w/ him but due to my increasingly spacey brain & the enjoyment of our conversation, I cannot remember exactly what we drank together.

Thought I'd post about some he gave me before I forget.

A rou gui that is wonderfully satisfying though fairly simple. Two fairly deep infusions w/ somewhat thick mouthfeel was followed by a thinner infusion w/o using much leaf in a gaiwan.

Today I had a similar tea, a bei dou (dahongpao) which offered a deeper & more complex experience & more infusions.

John has been into tea for about 2 years but he certainly is good at obtaining very good teas. It's very nice to meet Teachatters in person & to enjoy an American holiday w/ an American (though we did not even mention turkey). Cheers

Nov 29th, '15, 12:21

by debunix » Nov 29th, '15, 12:21

2013 Fall Ali Shan Red Oolong, warming up the leaves after a few infusions the night before, leaves still delicious and fruity and spicy. Love this stuff: it's amazing how the very highly oxidized leaves can giving such deliciousness over and over again.

+ Post Reply